Wild or stocked fish?

This fish has telltale stockie brown pattern. A good looking stockie, though
You guys are correct. I see a lot of people who mistake colored up fish for wild. This fish came out of a stocked water about 3 months post stocking. It was living in about 12” deep water chasing minnows and chubs and getting fat. I caught it on a streamer. I’d attribute the colors to sun tan and good diet for a few months. I’ve never seen a wild one with colors any better than this, but this is a stocker.

You guys are correct. I see a lot of people who mistake colored up fish for wild. This fish came out of a stocked water about 3 months post stocking. It was living in about 12” deep water chasing minnows and chubs and getting fat. I caught it on a streamer. I’d attribute the colors to sun tan and good diet for a few months. I’ve never seen a wild one with colors any better than this, but this is a stocker.
The trout has a lot of color, but that is likely to due to being fed pellets that are supplemented with carotenoid pigments that color up the trout. That has been common with commercially raised salmon for years, and is now becoming more popular in trout hatcheries.

The carotenoids color up both the exterior of the trout and the flesh.

The carotenoids are synthesized and added to the trout feed. They synthetic carotenoids are supposed to have the same chemical properties as natural carotenoids that occur in crustaceans and insects. Much as Vitamin C is synthesized and is supposed to have the same chemical properties as Vitamin C in citrus fruit and rose hips.

When I catch a good looking trout I never ask myself if it is wild or stocked. Am I missing something here? Should I wonder and If I should, why?

I'm unaware of any fingerling stocking on this water. Here's 2 Delaware river fish and 2 from the Lehigh. Color makeup can vary from stream to stream as you know but that rainbow looks pretty darn good if it is a stocker. And no, that is not a #12 ISO in that fishes mouth 😁. They don't eat those things

View attachment 1641229202View attachment 1641229203View attachment 1641229204View attachment 1641229205
Stocked Rainbows can look really good after just a few months. The fins grow back and they get the nice red colors. The fins even get a nice transparent pink color. I think a lot of fish, both Browns and Rainbow that people think are wild are actually just holdovers.

I think a lot of fish, both Browns and Rainbow that people think are wild are actually just holdovers
Bows are definitely the hardest to tell for certain but do not underestimate how many wild trout are out there and how common they really are, particularly browns.

When I catch a good looking trout I never ask myself if it is wild or stocked. Am I missing something here? Should I wonder and If I should, why?If you aren't interested, then don't pay any attention to it.

Many people are interested in whether the streams they fish have wild trout populations or not.

If you aren't interested, then don't pay any attention to it.

To me wild trout populations, and what causes some streams to have many wild trout, and others have few or none, is one of the most interesting things about trout fishing. Much more interesting than fly patterns or casting techniques or gear or Latin names of insects.

But, not everyone has the same interests. Which is OK.

I think a lot of fish, both Browns and Rainbow that people think are wild are actually just holdovers.
I don't agree with this at all. Wild brown trout are everywhere and are very easy to identify. Wild rainbows are somewhat common, too, and by far more difficult to ID but.....

Really? The big attraction to falling springs back in the day was the wild Shasta River rainbow strain. One of the only wild bow populations in the state (according to PFBC).

I suspect that there are pockets of wild bows all through the state. Very small numbers but they are around here and there.

When I catch a good looking trout I never ask myself if it is wild or stocked. Am I missing something here? Should I wonder and If I should, why?
Totally up to you, nothing wrong with any approach.

For me personally, yeah. I absolutely look at it and decide wild or stocked. I enjoy fishing, wild or stocked. Not a elitist. But when it comes to stocked fish, size means nothing to me anymore. Its as big as they chose it to be, not a natural situation. That there fish is 18" because somebody said "lets stick an 18 incher in here", not because it survived long enough, was good enough at avoiding predators (including fishermen), and dominant enough to take a good feeding lie.

Its like in hunting. Would I enjoy a high fence hunt? Well, yeah. I'm out on stand in the outdoors, have to figure them out, make a good shot. There's still sport in it, and I could enjoy myself. Just enjoying the act of hunting, because I do enjoy the act of hunting. Far better than working. But if its a high fence deal, I am not admiring the animal, or taking pride in shooting it, even if its an absolutely massive buck. I could shoot a 30 point and I'm not running to social media and bragging about this "achievement". The difference between their 30 point and an 6 point is how much money I was willing to pay, not skill. Because they fed it, protected it, for me to shoot it. Its absolutely an artificial situation. Size of the trophy has lost all connection to pride in the animal or skill in taking it. Shoot that same massive buck if fully wild and on public land, and it adds a ton. That such a magnificent creature exists in the wild, survived, grew to this massive size. And a sense of pride in being the one who was able to be successful in hunting it.

I enjoy fishing for stocked trout, but take no pride in being successful at it, and size becomes meaningless. Wild trout definitely adds something.

Last edited:
Many people are interested in whether the streams they fish have wild trout populations or not.

If you aren't interested, then don't pay any attention to it.

To me wild trout populations, and what causes some streams to have many wild trout, and others have few or none, is one of the most interesting things about trout fishing. Much more interesting than fly patterns or casting techniques or gear or Latin names of insects.

But, not everyone has the same interests. Which is OK.
I agree. I have been watching a local stream that I have fished since I was a kid. More Browns seem to be turning up there in recent years. They appear wild to me and some are good sized. This is a stream that has limestone headwaters but also has springs throughout. It is a failrly built up area. people would be very surprised to know what creek it is.

I don't agree with this at all. Wild brown trout are everywhere and are very easy to identify. Wild rainbows are somewhat common, too, and by far more difficult to ID but.....
I agree there are a lot but I was just thinking how everyone will say a fish is wild just because it has good coloration. My point is more that after a few months in the streams under certain conditions the fish do regrow fins and can look a lot like wild ones. I am really not sure they are that easy to identify.

My sentiments exactly.

By not fishing stocked water, I don't have to question if my catches are wild/native, or not.
It doesn't always work out that way.

I've caught many hatchery trout in stream sections that are not on the stocking list. They move up from stocking points further downstream. And sometimes people do outlaw stockings.

I've caught many hatchery trout in stream sections that are not on the stocking list. They move up from stocking points further downstream. And sometimes people do outlaw stockings.
I was arguing with my friend the other day about this. He showed me a picture of a 14 inch brook trout his dad had caught in a stream near his cabin. It had rough hatchery fins and was a plain green/gray color with small whitish speckles (almost no red with blue halos and certainly no orange coloration). He assumed because the stream was not stocked to his knowledge and that he had seen several small natives, that it was a native trout his dad had caught. It obviously wasn't. I always question if my fish are wild or stocked even on streams not listed by either the state or local co-op hatcheries. I can think of many scenarios where stocked fish end up looking wild, but not many where a wild fish looks stocked. The amount of stocked trout in wild trout streams is appalling.

You're right, not always. But, in the last 20 years of wild trout fishing, I've only caught maybe 5 trout that weren't wild. And they did come from private stocking.

You're right, not always. But, in the last 20 years of wild trout fishing, I've only caught maybe 5 trout that weren't wild. And they did come from private stocking.
It’s not a very common occurrence at least in my experience. I’ve only been seriously fishing for natives/wilds for a couple months (before that I would go out once in a blue moon and catch barely anything, now I’m out blue lining new streams every weekend) but I have seen some stocked fish in creeks I would never expect them in. If your fishing an exclusively wild trout creek odds are your fish are wild but I don’t always take that to be 100%

I can think of many scenarios where stocked fish end up looking wild.
Many scenarios where stocked fish end up looking wild? Like what?

Identifying wild brown and brook trout is stupid easy 99.9% of the time. I'd say 100% but I'll leave that little room for error.

Rainbows are slightly more challenging because 1) wild bows are more common than people realize. 2) my home large limestoner has the nicest looking rainbows I've ever seen and there are lots of them of all sizes. This system is also confirmed to have wild bows by a PFBC biologist and the system gets stocked. But usually stockie bows, like all other stockies, are stupid easy to ID so these nice bows make me question.

Back