Wild or stocked fish?

2. Brook trout can compete with browns and its probably a numbers game based on this research and observations in the savage river and other places. Lower density of brown trout likely = higher biotic resistance of brook trout to invasion.

This paper backs that up

Whoa, whoa, whoa, pump the brakes!!! I didn't read the attached paper, but do you not remember a few months ago where I said they "coexist" and I got lambasted for it and told they can't coexist...... But now brookies can coexist and hold their own to browns? What changed? Oh wait, it's not "coexisting" because that brown trout represents one less potential brookie.....

So all those mixed streams I've been fishing for years that have some browns but are ruled by brookies and how the ratio doesn't seem to be changing......

Aside from the little bit taken out of the anal fin, it's fins are clean.

That's a wild fish. No doubt about it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, pump the brakes!!! I didn't read the attached paper, but do you not remember a few months ago where I said they "coexist" and I got lambasted for it and told they can't coexist...... But now brookies can coexist and hold their own to browns? What changed? Oh wait, it's not "coexisting" because that brown trout represents one less potential brookie.....

So all those mixed streams I've been fishing for years that have some browns but are ruled by brookies and how the ratio doesn't seem to be changing......
Its not that they coexist its that they compete. Just because their both there and the scenery is nice doesn’t mean its not dog eat dog under the water. Coexist is a bar choice of words, essentially the reality in nature i am speaking to is that they are both present and its a zero sum game with winners and losers between the species and we helped browns with our intervention and can help brook trout in the future with our intervention too.

I never understood whey they stock rainbows in the upper savage. It seems completely unecessary. That watershed is a nice place to catch nice sized brookies. Lots of 10 inchers below the dam, apparently some big ones above as well but i have never caught them. Going to school at WVU, the savage is probably my favorite area on the east coast.
I wouldn't be surprised if that ends in the not-too-distant future. The vast majority are harvested or run to the reservoir where they become food for other fish. I did run into a batch of them last year in a place they really shouldn't be. If they were holding over in the tribs I think it would be a bigger problem. They make a good shore lunch while fishing for brookies.

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends in the not-too-distant future. The vast majority are harvested or run to the reservoir where they become food for other fish. I did run into a batch of them last year in a place they really shouldn't be. If they were holding over in the tribs I think it would be a bigger problem. They make a good shore lunch while fishing for brookies.
I've caught plenty of yoy in the Savage reservoir tribs, there are "savage steelhead". They stock the reservoir with trout as well as the Savage river above. Every system has it's issues, just saying it's not just PA.

Also, you got any insight into that first statement?

Theres a difference between 500 fall and spring rainbows and 60 thousand browns and rainbows in kettle

Theres a difference between 500 fall and spring rainbows and 60 thousand browns and rainbows in kettle
Not sure where that number came from but there were 2500 rainbows put in the Savage a couple weeks ago and there will be more.....not 60k though.

Here's a vote for wild.

The OP is asking if the brown he caught is stocked or wild. The thread devolved into yet another brook trout discussion. One that didn't contain enough reports or links to studies. Honest question, why do you guys keep doing it? Is it like that annoying vegan friend that has to constantly announce "I'm vegan ya know" ??

Here's a vote for wild.

The OP is asking if the brown he caught is stocked or wild. The thread devolved into yet another brook trout discussion. One that didn't contain enough reports or links to studies. Honest question, why do you guys keep doing it? Is it like that annoying vegan friend that has to constantly announce "I'm vegan ya know" ??
Best analogy yet!

Here's a vote for wild.

Honest question, why do you feel the need to constantly post about your displeasure with reading the posts? It's like that annoying vegan friend that has to constantly announce, "I'm vegan ya know."

You could simply; I don't know, not read them and leave the forum moderation to the forum moderators. 🤷‍♂️

Honest question, why do you feel the need to constantly post about your displeasure with reading the posts? It's like that annoying vegan friend that has to constantly announce, "I'm vegan ya know."

You could simply; I don't know, not read them and leave the forum moderation to the forum moderators. 🤷‍♂️
Good story bro.

Maybe it’s because for years we didn’t have to worry about whether or not a thread would turn into a brook trout discussion. It’s not a matter of if anymore, it’s when.

Everyone has grown tired of it…. The persecution of the wild brown trout enthusiast, when will it end 🤔🤔

Maybe it’s because for years we didn’t have to worry about whether or not a thread would turn into a brook trout discussion. It’s not a matter of if anymore, it’s when.

Everyone has grown tired of it…. The persecution of the wild brown trout enthusiast, when will it end 🤔🤔
Maybe that's because more people are fired up and passionate about the issue today than several years ago.

Maybe that's because more people are fired up and passionate about the issue today than several years ago.
Can’t you just start your own thread instead of taking over everything on here. I’m all for native trout and stocking cessation, but it’s gotten to the point where I can’t enjoy or contribute to someone else’s post because it goes so far off topic.

When the choir doesn’t want to listen to the preacher anymore, it’s probable that the minister and his/her message are in trouble.
It seems enough people are carrying on the conversation that the choir isn't unified in its disdain for the message. There's apparent vocal support and obvious vocal opposition. i.e., discussion. I suppose I should start popping in threads and voicing my opposition to the topics being discussed more often.

The OP also said: "also a side question regarding the falling spring delayed harvest- is there any way they will stop stocking it in the future? It’s a great stream section with tons of wild fish. Not only does the state stock it but there also was a landowner I talked too who said he stocked it privately in the section he lives along. It all seems ridiculous"

The OP also said: "also a side question regarding the falling spring delayed harvest- is there any way they will stop stocking it in the future? It’s a great stream section with tons of wild fish. Not only does the state stock it but there also was a landowner I talked too who said he stocked it privately in the section he lives along. It all seems ridiculous"
That is a very good point TB. Did you forget to quote the OP where he mentioned brown trout as invasive, PFBC management of brook trout, MD / VA / WVA brook trout management policies, 1200 studies, a FFM article and papers by Shannon White? I must have missed all of that.

I enjoy fly fishing, I enjoy fly fishing for trout..... even more, enjoy FF-ing for wild trout. What I (and many others) don't enjoy is the nonstop preaching and overtaking of every thread. I think it's pretty clear that a vast majority of the forum is opposed to stocking over wild fish populations. Can we stop the "if you don't believe what I believe, you're wrong" nonsense?

B7d

Back