Wild Brook Trout

Laurel Run in Huntingdon County upstream from Whipple Dam State Park to headwaters. State stocks hatchery brookies from dam upstream to Pine Swamp bridge. Fairly wide and has a population of natives upstream from dam but could be better if stocking ceases.

"has a population of natives upstream from dam but could be better if stocking ceases."

This is the crux. Who has evidence to support this statement?

Jack,

My stating that the section of Laurel Run I referenced could contain a better population of natives and possibly larger ones if stocking ceases was just my opinion.

JackM wrote:
"has a population of natives upstream from dam but could be better if stocking ceases."

Do you disagree or are you just playing devil's advocate?

Brookies can still achieve pretty respectable size. I have been fishing small mountain streams now for over 20 years. Anybody who regularly fishes these small streams knows a catch of 20 to 30 fish /day is not that difficult. My records show that 30 to 40% were 7-inches or larger and a few as large as 11 inches. I measured a native brookie that another guy caught that was 12.5 inches. We aged him at 4 years. With another couple of years of life - a typical small stream brook trout maximum life span - that brookie would have approached 20 inches. So they can still get pretty big.

I have caught or lost browns in a few of the same streams that were 17 inches or larger. If browns can get that big, there is no reason to think that brookies living in these same streams could not get just as big. So PA brookies are still genetically capable of achieving 20 inches or so, given the right conditions and enough time.

KenU wrote:
Brookies can still achieve pretty respectable size. I have been fishing small mountain streams now for over 20 years. Anybody who regularly fishes these small streams knows a catch of 20 to 30 fish /day is not that difficult. My records show that 30 to 40% were 7-inches or larger and a few as large as 11 inches. I measured a native brookie that another guy caught that was 12.5 inches. We aged him at 4 years. With another couple of years of life - a typical small stream brook trout maximum life span - that brookie would have approached 20 inches. So they can still get pretty big.

I have caught or lost browns in a few of the same streams that were 17 inches or larger. If browns can get that big, there is no reason to think that brookies living in these same streams could not get just as big. So PA brookies are still genetically capable of achieving 20 inches or so, given the right conditions and enough time.

Fish do not grow linearly with age. A 12.5 inch fish is not going to be 20 inches in two or even three more years. PA's brookie strain is and probably never was genetically wired to produce many 16"+ fish in a typical freestone; at least Behnke didn't think so.

Browns are wired differently, and you cannot assume that a stream that prices 17" or 21" browns will produce the same size brookie. Browns grow faster and I think are just more wary alpha predators when they get past five years of age.

I agree with salmonoid's last post, and would only note another reason why a stream that produces a 17" brown may not have produced 17" brookies: brown trout may live longer than brookies:

http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/GalleryPennsylvaniaFishes/Pages/TroutsandSalmons.aspx

browns: "Their life span in the wild can be 10 to 12 years."
brookies: "Brook Trout are relatively short-lived. Few survive in the wild longer than five years."

(description of brown trout feeding on pfbc link very much fits w/ salmonoids post also...)

I am not really a big fish fisherman myself. But in the previous PAFF discussions of this subject, not sure that anyone has mentioned that some of the habitat changes since the old days, at least viewed in isolation, could tend to be positive for big trout.

Think of all the impoundments there are on cold streams. And there were no amd streams back in the old days, and some of these are known to produce bigger trout... (Mike has noted this for example)... Bridges that create relatively large pools...

I am not saying that impoundments or amd are good environmentally, that I want more dams or mining impacts, that I am glad these things were done.

But if we are going to note the man made actions that can reduce big trout habitats, we might as well acknowledge that some man made actions may facilitate them at least when considered in isloation as well...

Overpopulated seems a little funny to me. Get that there is more competition for food and best holding spots. But how can it be overpopulated if that is they way nature goes- assuming it’s unstocked.

Mike wrote:
Valley Creek is not a good example and at some point in the future I will most likely show that. My point, however, was that your group will somehow eventually need to settle on a definition of viable or choose another word that more clearly defines what the group is seeking. It sounds as though you are saying viable fishery while in the past others have seemingly meant viable populations, the definition of which are less restrictive. I'm not here to debate this; I'm just pointing it out. It is up to your group to settle.

"Viable" as per actual definition, when referring to biology :

vi·a·ble

adjective
capable of working successfully; feasible.
"the proposed investment was economically viable"

synonyms: feasible, workable, practicable, practical, usable, possible, realistic, achievable, attainable, realizable; informaldoable
"it doesn't sound like a viable solution"

BOTANY
(of a seed or spore) able to germinate.

BIOLOGY
(of a plant, animal, or cell) capable of surviving or living successfully, especially under particular environmental conditions.

A viable stream is one that has potential for wild trout to exist successfully with favorable temps, habitat, flow, water quality, etc.

In the case of the FBC, "successful" would be a stream capable of supporting a Class A population of trout.

PFBC definition of Class A: Streams that support a population of wild (natural reproduction) trout of sufficient size and abundance to support a long-term and rewarding sport fishery.

JackM wrote:

This has been discussed many times on here and just about everywhere:roll:

I'll just give you a quote from the best source I can imagine. Here is a quote from:

Dave Miko

Division Chief, Fish and Aquatic Conservation
US Fish and Wildlife Service
November 2014 – Present

Chief, Fisheries Management
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
September 2009 – November 2014

There are many stream sections that have both brooks and browns reproducing in them, Miko explained. All of the wild brown trout streams at one time would’ve been native brook trout streams.

“Wild trout populations in streams can differ significantly,” he said. “A stream can have just a handful of wild trout or it can have 3,000 wild fish.

“So we are definitely going to continue to stock streams that have just a handful of wild fish in them to continue to provide opportunities for fishermen.”

Pennsylvania differentiates between wild trout stream sections: Class A waters are “the best of the best” having the most wild fish and water chemistry and are never stocked; Class B stream sections have thriving wild trout populations, but some are stocked; Class C and Class D wild trout waters have some wild trout and are usually stocked.

“We stock the lower classes of wild trout streams because they do not offer enough opportunities to anglers,” Miko said.

However several Fish & Boat commissioners the last few years have advocated not stocking Class B streams to see whether their wild trout populations might improve and expand and become Class As.

“We do know that stocking trout over wild fish can suppress wild trout populations,” Miko said.

“What this new study does is add some additional support to the belief that stocking of brown trout in general can displace wild brook trout,” Miko said, adding that brown trout tend to outcompete brook trout whenever the stream habitat is beneficial to both species.

Recent research conducted by the U.S. Geologic Survey in New York shows that stocking brown trout into streams harboring wild brook trout is harmful to the native trout populations.

The finding, which confirmed the beliefs of fisheries biologists and other officials in the Keystone State and beyond, mostly validates stocking practices employed in recent years by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission.

USGS researchers found that direct interactions between brown trout and brook trout – such as competition for food – over time diminish brook trout populations.

Link to source: http://www.outdoornews.com/2014/01/02/study-wild-brook-trout-do-suffer-from-stocking/

Dale49 wrote:
Laurel Run in Huntingdon County upstream from Whipple Dam State Park to headwaters. State stocks hatchery brookies from dam upstream to Pine Swamp bridge. Fairly wide and has a population of natives upstream from dam but could be better if stocking ceases.

That's a good example.

Surely other people have other examples of stocking over native brook trout.

Some of these streams have been discussed here on paflyfish.

And I know from posts here on paflyfish that many people fish in the counties and watersheds where stocking over brookies is common.

No one can think of any examples in Potter County? Or Clinton? Or Lycoming? Or Elk? Or Sullivan?

How about the Allegheny National Forest and nearby areas? No one knows of any streams where hatchery trout are stocked over native brookies in these regions?

In Potter, Little Kettle creek, and Big Moore's Run. If they weren't along a road, I doubt they'd be stocked.

salvelinus wrote:
In Potter, Little Kettle creek, and Big Moore's Run. If they weren't along a road, I doubt they'd be stocked.

Good examples. Little Kettle is a stream that many people on here are surely familiar with. It has been discussed on paflyfish before.

And the Kettle drainage is very popular. And Little Kettle is very near Ole Bull State Park, and a paved road (Rt. 44) runs right along it.

OK, given that brook trout cannot live much longer than 5 or 6 years in the wild and growth is not necessarily linear, riddle me this: How do brookies in NE Canada achieve weights from 4 to over 8 lbs? Is it habitat, genetics, long lives? Or is it some combination of these and other factors? Keep in mind, up until 10,000 years ago the last Great Glacier covered everything north of the PA border. That’s the blink of an eye geologically speaking.

Brookies are thought to have evolved about 1 million years ago. Until the turn of the 20th century brook trout living in PA’s big freestone and limestone streams once achieved 20 inches? Where’s the proof that they still can’t get that big? If YOY brookies are put into ponds where there is ample food and allowed to live to their maximum life span, they can still achieve 20+ inches. That’s how that big brookie that escaped the hatchery in Lamar got to be over 7 lbs. Why was it so special?

Those genes are probably still extant in our brook trout populations, but have been suppressed over the last 100 years because brookies have been confined to small infertile streams. This selects for short life spans and small size. But the combination of genetic factors needed to reach the really modest size of 20 inches is probably still in the broad population. We need a long term study of these fish to see what their genetic potential is. Sounds like a great thesis subject to me.

Behnke, About Trout, p 87 ... "The most common and widely distributed type of brook trout is of the generalist ancestry," which "rarely live much more than 3 years or attain a size much larger than 12 inches." He then describes "strains of brook trout from Canada" that are "representatives of the large predatory form." In lakes, these wild canadian strains relative to hatchery strains "conclusively demonstrated a great advantage in survival, longevity, maximum size..."

PA brookies sound like his generalist types, while habitat, genetics, and lifespan might differ for the larger ne canada lake brookies.

KenU wrote:
OK, given that brook trout cannot live much longer than 5 or 6 years in the wild and growth is not necessarily linear, riddle me this: How do brookies in NE Canada achieve weights from 4 to over 8 lbs? Is it habitat, genetics, long lives? Or is it some combination of these and other factors? Keep in mind, up until 10,000 years ago the last Great Glacier covered everything north of the PA border. That’s the blink of an eye geologically speaking.

Brookies are thought to have evolved about 1 million years ago. Until the turn of the 20th century brook trout living in PA’s big freestone and limestone streams once achieved 20 inches? Where’s the proof that they still can’t get that big? If YOY brookies are put into ponds where there is ample food and allowed to live to their maximum life span, they can still achieve 20+ inches. That’s how that big brookie that escaped the hatchery in Lamar got to be over 7 lbs. Why was it so special?

Those genes are probably still extant in our brook trout populations, but have been suppressed over the last 100 years because brookies have been confined to small infertile streams. This selects for short life spans and small size. But the combination of genetic factors needed to reach the really modest size of 20 inches is probably still in the broad population. We need a long term study of these fish to see what their genetic potential is. Sounds like a great thesis subject to me.

Perhaps because we are talking about the brookies that live in the habitats and environments of Pennsylvania, and not NE Canada? We do not have the large rivers, lakes and ponds in PA that Canada does and there are larger pieces of ecosystems still intact in Canada, whereas we have but a patchwork quilt here in PA.

A hatchery fish is fed pellets to it's little pea-brained heart's content and it's usually insulated from the stresses that cause wild fish to succumb at a much earlier age than their maximum potential. Take any organism raised in an artificial environment and for the most part, subtract inches from length and years from lifespan when it has to fend for itself in a wild or natural environment.

I've looked for scientific proof of the historical size of brookies in PA freestone streams and never found any. All reference is to angling literature, and of course, anglers never lie or embellish stories, so it must be true.

From the PA Council of TU brook trout restoration roadmap, which you may well have authored or contributed to, and which I often see paraphrased:

"History
Until late in the 19th century, brook trout were widespread in the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania. Some indication of the average size of brook trout taken by anglers in the
late 19th and early 20th centuries comes from the creel carried at the time. It was called a
12-pounder, because, when filled with the limit of 40 trout, it weighed twelve pounds.
The average brook trout in that creel would therefore have weighed about 0.30 lb.
According to the PFBC Weight-Length Estimator IIthey would have averaged about 9
inches.2
According to old angling literature, brook trout of 12 to 14 inches were not
uncommon in large freestone streams like Kettle Creek, Sinnemahoning and Loyalsock
and limestone streams. Maximum size in large freestone waters was said to be about 20
inches.3-5"

The references cited are:

2. PFBC, Weight-Length Estimator Part II,
http://www.fishandboat.com/images/pages/fishin1/weightlength2.pdf

3. Wetzel, Charles, 1962 “Brook Trout Fishing in the Kettle Creek Country.” From:
“100 Pennsylvania Trout Streams and How to Fish Them,” Compiled and edited
by Jim Hayes.

4. Lose, Charles, 1931, “The Vanishing Trout” Published by The Times Tribune
Company., Altoona, PA

5. Greeley, Max with Hayes, Jim, 1980 “Potter County Trout Fishing in the Good
Old Days” Pennsylvania Angler p14.

I've read all three sources and there are a few items to note. First, the time ranges of the publications (or the recollections contained in them) are from when fish were stocked in PA, so it cannot be unequivocally said that the length of the fish caught (if an accurate length) was the length of wild fish. Second, the PA Angler article (which is from April 1980, missing in the citation) speaks to the size of the fish, which is not a whole lot different than today. The old timers referenced there spoke of more fish, not necessarily drastically larger fish, but they did allude to the migration of fish from larger bodies of water. That's where you get your larger fish from and that's the habitat that has been altered by warming of the water, and deforestation. A similar sizing (maybe an inch larger on average) is listed by Wetzel. That fragmented, patchwork ecosystem that exists today is one of the primary reason why I feel larger fish are not as prevalent as in the past. They can't move like they used to because they can't live where they used to overwinter.

Anyone know what site might contain these bones (or the publication of the unearthing of them)?

"Skeletons of brook trout found in Native American sites along streams in Pennsylvania indicate that they sometimes caught and consumed trout weighing as much as six pounds." This is claimed in a PennLive article

If I were to write an article about angling in 2018, guess what? It would include fish caught that were on average size 9-11" and up to 20". That's my angling experience every year.

I went back to Thad Up De Graff's "Bodines" for a pre-stocking source (published 1879, just six years after the first hatchery opened in PA). A note-worthy trout mentioned there from the Loyalsock is a 16-inch fish caught by Sanders (but lost at his feet while trying to net).

So, all of that to say - the nostalgia that seems to exist for the days of yore may just be largely mythology. Our notions about the size of wild brookies in the past may simply not be correct (except for limited locations). But drainages, like Pine Creek (northern tier), Loyalsock, Kettle, and Penns all had the potential to be overwintering sites for brookies to grow larger in the past.

2" or 12" or 20" aside, that fragmented habitat thing is a real issue. The stocking of any fish (brown, rainbow or brook) is a real issue. The warming of water is an issue. The overall water quality (and it's ebb and flow over time) is an issue. Some changes are reversible, some are permanent, and some are in flux.

In Canada and maine with the exceptions of lakes and ponds, the big brook trout are caught in big rivers (usually tailwaters), i.e. 2,000+cfs. The habitat in northern Canada is way different than what is in PA.

A few popular ones from the ANF - Callen Run, Clear Creek and Toms Run. Easily accessible streams with lots of angler traffic and stocking over natives.

I cannot research all the streams mentioned as having "stocking OVER wild trout," but I suspect that certain of them are stocked in stream sections that do not hold fishable populations. It is more typical that stocking occurs in downstream sections where the populations do not provide a significant recreational fishery.

Back