Who's going out tomorrow?

laszlo

laszlo

For the big day in SE PA. I know it's always a circus but it's a rite of spring for me. I 'll bring home a couple stockies for the smoker.

The two streams closest to me will be packed. On one there will be 50 people all forming a circle around the deep hole and casting into the center. I'll stay home and tie flies. Maybe check out Tyler in a couple weeks once the heavy activity tapers off.

I always found this to be a great day to go to special regs areas as there seems to be fewer fishing there on opening day.

For those that do go out best of luck and hope your day is enjoyable.

With the numbers of brook trout that have been substituted for rainbow trout in some streams that never receive brookies the catch rates should be pretty high and I am sure that some anglers will be very surprised to see brookies.

I will be counting anglers ( angler use survey)via bike on a stream or two in Lancaster Co tomorrow.

Will be out on some local ATWs and may spend some time chasing WW species in the afternoon.

Ill be out but not any stocked water. Hitting local class B brown water that shouldn't have anyone on it. Then maybe some wild brookies to finish it off not far from that.

I always found it funny that even on special regs area that are open all year long to fish there is always more people fishing it on "opening day", especially the little Juniata- its usually packed on "opening day", ummm, do people not know you can fish it all year long? lol

But to answer your question, yes - Am taking my son out to a stocked stream and leaving my rod at home, hoping to get him to hook up quite a few.

I hope it rains....and clears out all the open season dayers.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
But to answer your question, yes - Am taking my son out to a stocked stream and leaving my rod at home, hoping to get him to hook up quite a few.

Seeing you are from Gallitzin, I don't think you have any local opportunities to fish stocked streams until the season opens up in a couple of weeks. These guys are referring to the SE/SC PA opener which is tomorrow. You would need to come down to Dauphin or Cumberland County for instance. Sorry if you know this already.

I do not think I have fished the early opener or even ATW in SE PA for the past seven years, but I fished a couple of new to me streams last fall and early winter, and decided they would make a nice destination for opening day this year. One stream is not stocked and the other is stocked but I caught primarily wild fish, so I'm curious to see what the stocking density is on the stocked stream, and also what the angler density is on both streams. I'm also interested to see how many wild fish come to hand, since the claim is that the catch rate on mixed wild/stocked streams is heavily tilted towards the stockers.

McSneek wrote:
Salvelinusfontinali wrote:

Seeing you are from Gallitzin, I don't think you have any local opportunities to fish stocked streams until the season opens up in a couple of weeks. These guys are referring to the SE/SC PA opener which is tomorrow. You would need to come down to Dauphin or Cumberland County for instance. Sorry if you know this already.

Yes I know, I own one of those fancy traveling machines called a car :D

Sorry not trying to be a smartass.. my brother lives on the pa/Maryland border near York.. going down all weekend.

Mike wrote:
With the numbers of brook trout that have been substituted for rainbow trout in some streams that never receive brookies the catch rates should be pretty high and I am sure that some anglers will be very surprised to see brookies.

I will be counting anglers ( angler use survey)via bike on a stream or two in Lancaster Co tomorrow.

Was a higher catch rate part of the reason for increasing brookies or some other reason?

Im guessing shortage on the things that lead to leprechaun's gold ;-)

Why is it that the SE opens up 2 weeks ahead of the rest of the state?

No offense taken. Personally I couldn't drive past the Little J to come down this way to fish but taking your son out is a different story. Have fun. Hope he catches a few.

PocketWater wrote:

Generally better weather over this way but also the fact that streams around here tend to warm earlier as well. The goal is to get all those stockers removed from the streams asap before they perish.

McSneek wrote:
PocketWater wrote:

Generally better weather over this way but also the fact that streams around here tend to warm earlier as well. The goal is to get all those stockers removed from the streams asap before they perish.

Huh. Didn't realize there would be that much of a difference weather-wise. Is that because it's closer to the ocean or something? Lower elevations?

Maybe towards the evening.. Hopefully the colder weather will hold for Sunday driving crowds home in the morning.

Back