Who's Going Out Today?

Now that's nice. We don't talk about wild rainbow trout in that part of the state too often. (I know brookie guys will condemn this, but I think it's pretty cool.)
So I am the 3rd person I know of to catch rainbows of this size this year out of this stream. It is not stocked now, but has recent history of low density stocking. I am hearing more and more reports each year throughout NCPA of rainbow fingerlings in small streams, typically with some connection to a stocked stream. They rarely seem to stick, but there has to be some level of natural repro happening.

I will withold any thoughts of management implications, etc for a different thread. It is neat to run into from time to time.

I'm a sucker for dem der browns. I went out today. 🤪
1000002816.jpg

Haven't had any good fishing in a minute. I took my son out to chase brookies on Monday, as it's cooled down quite a bit here, but we arrived to find the stream was lacking the water you'd typically desire for a place where fish live. We hiked the stream a bit but then gave up and hiked down to Lake George to swim instead.

I need to get out more in the next few weeks. I was still fishing multiple days a week when it was hot and crappy, but now that it's getting nice out I'm finding my schedule more full. Isn't that always the way?

Had a really slow day then a good day today. Caught these two back to back near dusk, couldn't believe it. I def hooted and hollered, but no one was near enough to hear it (fall fishing is the best). I love catching a rainbow, it's like a 100+ browns for every rainbow I catch, and that big rainbow travelled far to get to brown town.
IMG_1775.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg

Schedule with four kids is kind of packed lately but heading to camp to fish Penns Monday evening thru Wednesday early morning. Hopefully in a for a couple early/late sessions of solid late summer fishing.

Back