Who's Going Out Today?

Dear jifigz,

It's looking more like later on Saturday or maybe Sunday would be a better day. All the larger streams are still on the rise pretty much all through the Susquehanna Valley. Until they begin to drop the small streams won't drop much unless you are way up in the drainage.

Rte 147 in Dauphin County and 11/15 in Duncannon are closed due to rockslides. I imagine some of the more remote State Forest roads took some hits too.

Stay safe, they're just fish!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
I agree. I checked way up in the drainage of several streams. Even there, they were unfishable. I knew there was a strong likelihood of not being able to find fishable water, but life is an adventure.

Yinz' guys wouldn't think less of me if I was tightlining some nightcrawlers tomorrow, would ya? Euro-crawlin'. Tight-wormin'. Contact garden hacklin'.
Just make sure you use a float, don’t bottom bounce.

I will be using worms tomorrow and won’t feel bad about it it’s probably the best bait for the conditions no mono rig for me though I like to use the floating fly line as my floating indicator trim leader - tippet for desired depth and hold on

The 1/2 mile lane to our house crosses a class A trib to a trib to Penns Creek. Highest I've seen it since we've lived here (18 years). Blew out our culvert pipes, washed out lane and can't get out. Probably 7' above normal flow. At 8:30 tonight it was still as high as it's been all year.

Driving around looking at streams when they are at or near flood stage is very interesting.
Oh it is definitely so interesting!
It’s a great way to learn a lot about your streams. Which streams clear up the fastest and which once’s don’t go too off color. You can learn a ton about different sections of streams and what tribs are contributing the most mud. Also which sections dirty up first. That way you can plan several stops when you’re trying to catch it on the rise. Knowing where to fish first because it goes off color first etc. I, like Jifigz, did not find anything that I really wanted to fish. I started checked Little J and head waters of bald eagle creek and a couple tribs first. It was gorgeous and sunny with blue skies in the afternoon. A beautiful day for a car ride. Then I checked middle bald eagle and spring creek. Then I checked fishing creek. Then pine and some tributaries of pine. Then lycoming. Then Loyalsock. Then muncy. It started raining pretty good in the early evening so I packed it up and headed home. If you haven’t gone for a drive while the creeks are on the rise. I highly recommend it. There’s a lot to learn. It’s very interesting!

Oh I almost forgot. Super interesting too. Pine creek was only at about 2.5 feet at around ten o’clock this morning on the Cedar run gauge. I’m sure it was quite fishable most of the early morning.

Oh I almost forgot. Super interesting too. Pine creek was only at about 2.5 feet at around ten o’clock this morning on the Cedar run gauge. I’m sure it was quite fishable most of the early morning.
Dear 5footfenwick,

Not if you waded halfway across and didn't pay attention. 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Dear 5footfenwick,

Not if you waded halfway across and didn't pay attention. 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Very true, haha I got a late start, but figured I’d make the most of the day and see what I could learn. I did not wade anywhere. But did find some interesting things. F J sayers lake for example was only muddy on the west side of the Howard bridge. The lower east side towards the dam was the same green color it’s been for a week or two. Very fishable. I found fishable water. Just not anything I wanted to fish.

Had I got my butt out of bed, I’m sure catching Pine creek on the rise this morning would have been some fun fishing. 2.5on the cedar run gauge is usually little bit low for my tastes. But coming up to 2.5 on the rise. And coming down to 2.5 and dropping and clearing up are two different things. I prefer 3-5 feet on the cedar run gauge. A lot less fisherman and many of the fish pull right up close to the banks. Not much wading needed!
~ 5footfenwick

Very true, haha I got a late start, but figured I’d make the most of the day and see what I could learn. I did not wade anywhere. But did find some interesting things. F J sayers lake for example was only muddy on the west side of the Howard bridge. The lower east side towards the dam was the same green color it’s been for a week or two. Very fishable. I found fishable water. Just not anything I wanted to fish.

Had I got my butt out of bed, I’m sure catching Pine creek on the rise this morning would have been some fun fishing. 2.5on the cedar run gauge is usually little bit low for my tastes. But coming up to 2.5 on the rise. And coming down to 2.5 and dropping and clearing up are two different things. I prefer 3-5 feet on the cedar run gauge. A lot less fisherman and many of the fish pull right up close to the banks. Not much wading needed!
~ 5footfenwick
Honestly,

Moving water is pretty much dead until Sunday at the earliest.

We all wished for rain, to help the trout, and it has turned out to be far more than we ever wished would fall.
Yes, I know it was hurricane remnants, but the Northern Tier was in much better shape this summer than it has been in many recent summers.

But that is just fishing talk. People lost homes, cars, and property today. I haven't heard of lives lost and I hope that stays the same.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Honestly,

Moving water is pretty much dead until Sunday at the earliest.

We all wished for rain, to help the trout, and it has turned out to be far more than we ever wished would fall.
Yes, I know it was hurricane remnants, but the Northern Tier was in much better shape this summer than it has been in many recent summers.

But that is just fishing talk. People lost homes, cars, and property today. I haven't heard of lives lost and I hope that stays the same.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Lycoming creek in lycoming county looked particularly bad. I hope everyone stayed safe and evacuated where needed. Of all the creeks I looked at today. That one looked the most angry. I spent several weeks helping families and businesses clean up after the January 1996 flood. It’s a huge process and very sad. Best wishes to all affected.

It is a fine line between between good fishing flows and too much water that can cause loss of life and property.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that, continuing to use Kettle as the example…Kettle flowing at 40 or 50 cfs makes for exceptionally lousy fishing. Not a ton of deep holding water at that flow, and the fish will be ultra spooky. To the point that I won’t bother making the drive to fish that area unless it’s probably 200 cfs or better, 300-500, even better. But, 40-50 cfs is plenty of water to keep the fish alive and healthy. Yes, you need rain to make it fish halfway decent, but you don’t need rain at 40-50 cfs in terms of fish survival. I don’t worry until I see single digits. Even then, the fish survive.

Hope everyone involved is ok, and has the proper insurance to make themselves whole from any property losses. I wanted the rain like we all did, but it seems we overshot the mark. (I still don’t get the discrepancies between the radar estimated totals and the on the ground observed totals. I mean it’s not an exact science to match radar estimates with observed rain and a 10-25% margin of error I wouldn’t blink an eye at, but here, it seems the discrepancies are on the order of 100%+.)

Last edited:
Yinz' guys wouldn't think less of me if I was tightlining some nightcrawlers tomorrow, would ya? Euro-crawlin'. Tight-wormin'. Contact garden hacklin'.
In the pics you posted from yesterday, water clarity looked good and available line of travel for spoons cast with light spinning equipment in 2 of the pics looked ok as well. Spoons with their high density and limited resistance sink quickly, which is what one needs to prevent current from sweeping a lure out of such pools before the lure gets down. Obviously, I couldn’t tell from still pics how fast surface currents were traveling in the pools, but I have successfully spoon fished situations that would have appeared to be similar in a photo. If the spoon or heavily weighted bait doesn’t get kicked out of a pool right away, you have a chance. I won’t go into using a minnow rig with 6-12 split shot, but that works too.

Last edited:
In the pics you posted from yesterday, water clarity looked good and available line of travel for spoons cast with light spinning equipment in 2 of the pics looked ok as well. Spoons with their high density and limited resistance sink quickly, which is what one needs to prevent current from sweeping a lure out of such pools before the lure gets down. Obviously, I couldn’t tell from still pics how fast surface currents were traveling in the pools, but I have successfully spoon fished situations that would have appeared to be similar in a photo. If the spoon or heavily weighted bait doesn’t get kicked out of a pool right away, you have a chance. I won’t go into using a minnow rig with 6-12 split shot, but that works too.
Those minnow rigs are a highwater secret Mike!

Mike, a spoon is my absolute favorite classic lure for trout.

As for the streams, the 4 I chose all have unique characteristics that I know would affect clarity. In my opinion, two of those streams had clarity that was quite fishable yesterday. The flows, however, were downright nasty and dangerous, especially on the one stream.

My reconnaissance work I put in yesterday tells me where I will be later today. I'll check can in here with pics of wild fish just to spur some other guys to get out there.

IMG_7306.jpeg

After scouting yesterday, I went back to this small trib today. Water was surprisingly clear. Several small brookies were eager. Nothing of any real size. But still fun to get out!

Small streams are looking better up here. I think this is still quite high for this water this time of year, but it definitely fished really well in the slow pools. It's off color, but I think it is always pretty tanniny.

There are some big, cool 50 ft falls with swimming holes that made for a fun day of letting the kids play while I fished.

PXL_20240811_163656886.jpg

PXL_20240811_160619213.jpg

A buncha little cuties in every spot
PXL_20240811_164057833_exported_1075_1723406452319.jpg

Back