Who's going out for the first opener madness?

Just curious: how prevalent are the terrible aspects of opening day outside of the regional early opener?

For the past decade I've been in Philadelphia, so I'm accustomed to spending opening day at Wissahickon (shoulder-to-shoulder), Pennypack (only slightly less completely awful), and/or Ridley (I could at least find stretches where I couldn't see another person). I'm up near Stroudsburg now, so yesterday I went down to Bushkill Creek (around Jacobsburg State Park) just because I like the stupid ritual. I didn't bother to go out until 2, so, if there was a stampede in the AM, there wasn't much of a sign of it anymore.

I'm guessing I'll be out at 8 AM for the Statewide/Monroe County opener because I'll be with some friends, but I'm wondering what to expect. Will, let's say, the stocked section of Brodhead actually be swamped? Beyond my personal concerns, is the general assumption that most stocked creeks, regardless of proximity to larger cities, get pretty hammered at 8? That's a little surprising to me.

Back