Who's going out for the first opener madness?

drumat26

drumat26

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Was wondering who is going out to fight the crowds and who isn't! What streams will you be fishing tomorrow? I'll be out probably all day. I enjoy spending the time with my buddies and my dad. Been a tradition since I was little to go out on opening day with family and friends!!!!

I'll never forget the memories I made with my dad growing up. He doesn't fly fish but he taught me the basics of bait fishing and helped me get started catching trout! Always look forward to the time we get to spend together on the water, especially now that I don't live at home any more!

I enjoy Opening Day will be out fly fishing on a local ATW with a friend or three.

I always go out without rods just to check it out. It's not for me but I enjoy seeing everybody else enjoying it.

I will be going out. It is a long tradition.
I got my brother-in-law and his son into fly fishing and we all still go out on opening day, but with fly rods now.
I also got my other nephew into it and he always joins us too. Except he now runs circles around us in knowledge, technique and catching anywhere we go all year long. He teaches me now. That is the best part and great to get everyone fishing together.
Oh we always do breakfast and head to a stream around 9:00am.
Used to kill the kids when they were young. Eating and talking fish stories while they were chomping at the bit to hit the water. They get it now though.

I won't be out this year, but have in the past even after taking up fly fishing. I enjoy seeing all the people, smiles of children, smiles of grandparents and parents. But not all is peachy, mainly the lack of manners and litter that emanates from a few that make the whole group of first day anglers look bad.

I usually urge people to carry out a garbage bag or two and set an example as well as embarrass litterbugs by cleaning up after them, even as they litter. But, since I won't likely be out this year, I won't say anything about that.

Drive along Clarks....shake my head....head to golf course.

I am going to go out to a couple streams with DHALO sections...hopefully avoiding the mobs that only fish once or twice a year. It's like hitting the gym on January 2nd.

PocketWater wrote:
It's like hitting the gym on January 2nd.

Hahahaha thats a great way to put it.

opening day is everything I try to avoid by going fishing. I fish to get away from people and all their associated problems, opening day simply amplifies all the BS.
real fly fishing starts in may.

I usually find myself in a C&R sections on 1st day. Never any crowds..

krayfish2 wrote:
Drive along Clarks....shake my head....head to golf course.

Drive along Breeches...shake my head....head to The Letort.

No Thanks. I fish as an escape from my work. The craziness isn't for me but I can appreciate the excitement for others.

Drive along Breeches...shake my head....head to The Letort.

ha, yeah. Went for a bike ride yesterday (Thursday) after work and was amazed/bewildered at the number of folks who were already camping out along the Breeches down near WhiteRock...to each his own, just not my style. I hit Spring Creek today, got some decent enough action on olives for the couple hours I was there, so I got my fill for now. Tomorrow my girlfriend & I will go for a bike ride along the creeks in the morning, my new opening day tradition for the last couple (or 10+) years.

Not going out, I don't participate in the SE opening day, PFBC should just either change opening day to April 1 for everyone, or not have one. If they want to call a particular day opening day let them, and they can say no more opening day you can fish C & R until the traditional date.
I'll go to camp a couple of days before OD in Tioga and fish some streams up there.

I guess we're heading down to East Licking in Juniata County. We've never been there before so we're going to try it out.

I'm driving to upstate NY on Sat. after work. Steelie fishing on Sunday and Monday...........yipppeeee! No crowds up there now.

yes there is crowds there

Biggie,

Radar + snow melt = blow out. The river gauges are heading that way.

Never a better time to get the young ones interested. Wouldn't miss it. I'll be out there untangling lines, tying knots, ...

Just had the kids out catching worms. Heading to Sweet Arrow Lake, which is an absolute zoo. The boy will be 7 this year. He usually switches back to the fly rod in early May. He's been casting a fly rod since he was 3, but on the first day, and the next few weeks he likes to fish like his buddies, so we sit on our butts with crowd on opening day with our neighbors and some friends.

Boyer

Back