Whipfinish tool ?

ratgunner

ratgunner

Okay I admit I never really got the hang of useing a whipfinish tool. I just use my fingers. But Im tying some small flies I cant always do it. How many of you dont use one.....and where can I learn to use one. :oops:

The correct term is "pro stick".

Just search youtube. There are plenty of video examples for either type.

I've always used one. Pretty handy tool IMO.
I would think instructions probably come with it?

I use one and love it. I would just ask a buddy that has one to demonstrate it for you. Local fly shop would be another options to explaining it.

I use my fingers and really haven't found a need to use the tools. Are you using your scissors or bobbin to finish your knots?

JH

i've never used anything but my fingers. I rarely tie anything smaller than #22 (maybe the occasional #24 trico), but i've never had a problem whip finishing the small flies as long as the thread is sufficiently thin.

i spend enough time looking for my fly-tying scissors that i don't want additional tools to keep track of. my desk is a mess...

My scissors never leave my hand, always have them on my ring finger so I don't set them down and have to pick them back up.

problem is, i have a nice pair that i try to keep sharp for cutting natural materials and a junk pair for cutting things like ribbing wire, thin skin, etc. one pair always seems to find its way underneath everything else...

I've been tying for 47 years and have never used a whip finish, let alone a whip finish tool. I half-hitch all my fly heads and always have.

I'm not suggesting anybody else do it this way. And anybody who has seen my flies would probably agree that its for the best that I do not suggest anybody do likewise.

I'm only noting that life without the whip finish or the tool is possible..

I do the same, but always keep the good pair when tying in my hand. Unless I'm tying a junk fly, then the good ones never make onto my desk.

JH

make the triangle and you got it figured out - hope you tube helps.....

I think it is a matter of preference. Whip finish, half hitch... tools or fingers... I prefer using a whip finish tool but I don't think there is a wrong answer here.

I use a thompson that I modified to use matarelli style. I just got used to it, and it's what is easiest to use for me.

I bought a matarelli, and will use it when it's not lost in materials.

skiltonian, I call it the 4, but it's the same concept. It's all in the flip. Lay the tool over the line and just sorta flip it up. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

I always use a whip finish tool, but I can't use a half hitch too. I always just half hitch with my fingers when I need to do it.

FWIW, there's two types. The Materelli and the other one.

The Materelli is very simple to use, the other one just sucks in comparision.

There's more than two types...

http://flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=607

I do agree the Matarelli is the easiest to use. The Thompson style is good for when you're finishing Catskill style flies, or any pattern that it's easy to trap materials close to the eye of the hook.

last one way too confusing.

gfen wrote:
last one way too confusing.

Proof that you got your Mensa card in a box of Cracker Jacks. :lol:

Whip finish tool all the way. I don't care how cool it is to not use one, it adds about 10 second to every fly and is much more reliable than other methods.

Not using one because it's cool are like hipsters that use Holga cameras...

I use a small thompson for flies smaller than 16, a standard thompson for drys, and a matarelli for the rest, I have 2 sizes in the matarelli. standand and long. I do have a few other types plus can use my hand.

Back