Whip finish by hand... Help me out please!

StaggerLee

StaggerLee

Can someone help me out with whip finishing by hand?

I see that some of you guys on this forum make great videos, and you all know who you guys are. So would someone please make a simple and clear instruction video on how to do this?

My reason is i need it for whip fishing in the middle of the hook, and i don't want to purchase a bigger whip tool for tying this pattern.

Thanks,

Go to Fly Tying forum and watch the video for the RS-2. About 1/2 way through, real easy.

Whenever I want to finish off a fly in the middle of the hook, I just put 3 half hitches in. Pretty easy to do that by making a wide loop.
And I've never had any problems with them

There are plenty of examples on youtube. Just search for whip finishing and you should find what you want.
value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIgydAnzJHs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3">

StaggerLee wrote:
Can someone help me out with whip finishing by hand?

I see that some of you guys on this forum make great videos, and you all know who you guys are. So would someone please make a simple and clear instruction video on how to do this?

My reason is i need it for whip fishing in the middle of the hook, and i don't want to purchase a bigger whip tool for tying this pattern.

Thanks,

It's not a bad idea to learn to whip finish by hand, but you can WF anywhere on the fly body with a materelli whip finish tool.

This is the best vid I can find for the hand WF:

Good luck

AFish.. That's exactly what type of instructions i was looking for.
Thanks for video link...

One quick question. I thought with the whip finish tools they were different sizes for streamers and dry flies. standard and extended reach? Hence why i wanted to learn this method? But since any Matarelli would work, That's just awesome!

Anyone do multiple 1/2 hitches using a retracted ball point pen?

my wife and i both often do half hitches with bic pen tubes.
KeithS wrote:
Anyone do multiple 1/2 hitches using a retracted ball point pen?

to the original poster,if you live near philly any one of a number of us could show you how to whip finish by hand.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQvv_tqNmw[/youtube]

JohnnyUtah wrote:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQvv_tqNmw[/youtube]

Johnny. OK..I'll be the first and tell you the truth about the video.;o)

That video is exactly what i needed to understand this method. Great shooting & explanation of the whip. Thank you! , Thank You!...

For what it's worth....
I've tied thousands of flies for nearly 40 years and never done a whip finish. Not once. Two or three half hitches and head cement are all you need. Tying a whip finish is a waste of time IMO.

guys

CDC Vs Hackle
Regal Vs HMH
Gink Vs ?
Whip Finish Vs Half Hitch

And the world goes round and round

Hackle, Regal, Gink, Whip finish, and yes, the world does go round and round. :)

Half hitches need cement, a whip finish doesnt. I can honestly say that I have never had a whip come undone, and i dont use cement.

I whip with a tool. Could never understand the supposed gain in speed in using my big bulky fingers to do what a thin metal tool can accomplish. All I have to do is pick it up. It sits right off my right hand on the tying desk. Nevertheless, good video Johnny. I like the mantra offered as well.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Half hitches need cement, a whip finish doesnt. I can honestly say that I have never had a whip come undone, and i dont use cement.

Johnny, I agree with ya.

Half Hitches do need cement, so that extra step is a time stealer if your into production tying. Hand whip RUles!

JackM wrote:
I whip with a tool. Could never understand the supposed gain in speed in using my big bulky fingers to do what a thin metal tool can accomplish. All I have to do is pick it up. It sits right off my right hand on the tying desk. Nevertheless, good video Johnny. I like the mantra offered as well.

Add accuracy to the benefit as well. Also a lot of hand whip finishers will pick up a bodkin to hold the loop as they tighten it up, thus having picked up a tool anyway.

only place a hand outweighs the tool is loops on fly line. for all other purposes, its convienent but entirely unneccessary.

If you just keep scissors with a bodkin in your hand at all times. No need to worry about that extra time picking up a tool.

Back