Which mid level waders?

gfen, the length of your posts seems to be increasing. Might I even say approaching pcray-ish!

On the other hand, even if Bean encourages you to use the lifetime commitment, I think there's a point where one's simply being a twat and taking advantage of it.

Definitely agree here.

The way I see it. They have a great warranty. I respect them for that, and wish more manufacturers would have such warranties. It makes me more likely to buy their stuff, and I will use it if necessary. But it only makes business sense for them, or others, to have such a warranty if the majority of us aren't twats about it. If a mid-priced breathable wader lasts me 3 years, that's better than the competition in that price range. IMO, that means I got my money's worth. I'm not going to claim dissatisfaction. I want to reward companies like this, not rip them off.

3 years I think is my mark. Yeah, I'm tough on waders. Mountain goating, crawling, etc. through thick stuff doesn't help. Remember, I don't wet wade.

And if I would get a pair replaced without paying, then whatever life they give me is added to the original, it doesn't start the clock over till I pay again.

I am humbled by the compassion being expressed for BigBox outfitters such as LL Bean. Their lifetime warranty is truly priceless. They honor it "no questions asked," other than: "Where shall we ship them?"

Just to clarify that the waders that I returned were only used 7 times in those 5 years. I use waist highs for 98% of my fishing in PA(maybe two seasons out of these). The chest waders are used only for "big water" and winter steelhead. The customer service rep @ cabelas thought they were new. If it was a gaping hole or a tear I would have just patched them or purchased another pair.

jhedge wrote:
Saw these two on sierra trading post what do you think?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/caddis-northern-guide-zipper-waders-stockingfoot-for-men~p~5046v/?filterString=waders~d~243%2F&colorFamily=01

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/frogg-toggs-anura-waders-waterproof-breathable-stockingfoot-for-men-and-women~p~5912t/?filterString=waders~d~243%2F&colorFamily=01

Thanks for the heads up jhedge. Just got the Frogg Toggs. Needed new ones desperately but couldn't afford a decent pair at full retail right now. At $89 + shipping (I had a coupon, too.) even if they only last a year they're worth it.

Glad to help! Let me know how they are.

jhedge wrote:
Glad to help! Let me know how they are.

Gave the new Frog Toggs Anuras a full day workout on the Yough. I figured 800cfs pushing on them all day would be a good test.

Even before I stepped in the water the waders got good grades. The material seems to be thick and pretty well made. Once on, their trim cut made them feel more like a pair of pants than the typical baggy waders (ORVIS) I've had in the past. Although someone who is stout may have a tougher time.

I waded from ankle to waistline all day. I did some bushwhacking on shore. No leaks. They did not seem quite as "breathable" as the ORVIS, but standing in 50 degree water most of the time, they were comfortable and kept me warm.

Of course, the true test will come with time to see how durable they are. But so far so good. And at that price, they seem like a great deal.

Cabela's waders come in tall (I am 6'2" so the LT works for me)...sometimes they are on sale for like $125...get the breathables.

EDIT: Oops...posted in the wrong spot. Sorry!

Thanks for the review green ghost! So many choices...

jhedge,

Bean waders will serve you well if you're a close drive to an LL Bean store. They are very good about replacing them.

That said, you will have to have them replaced.

If you start taking trips, I would seriously consider looking into a pair of Simms or Patagonia waders as they are much more reliable.

tridentfly wrote:

That said, you will have to have them replaced.

If you start taking trips, I would seriously consider looking into a pair of Simms or Patagonia waders as they are much more reliable.

Meh. I have two pair of Simms G3 and have had as many issues with them as my Bean waders. Much easier to deal with Bean.
Sorry.

I can't get a pair of Beans to last more than a couple months. That wasn't the case with the Wicked Tough's but the more recent models just don't hold up.

Back