Which mid level waders?

jhedge

jhedge

I'm new to the whole fly fishing thing but am enjoying it so far! I'm looking for some waders as I have none. What are some good mid level waders and boots out there? I'm looking to be in the $200 range for both but am open to options. I'm 6'1" and 170lbs. I'd like something with some chest pockets on it as well. What is everyone using?

Saw these two on sierra trading post what do you think?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/caddis-northern-guide-zipper-waders-stockingfoot-for-men~p~5046v/?filterString=waders~d~243%2F&colorFamily=01

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/frogg-toggs-anura-waders-waterproof-breathable-stockingfoot-for-men-and-women~p~5912t/?filterString=waders~d~243%2F&colorFamily=01

I think if that were my spending range, I would go $250 on the orvis silver label convertables. But if you're set at $200 id go llbean cant remember the name but reall sharp, I think ryfiguy owns a pair.

Dear jhedge,

You won't need waders anytime soon. Just buy boots for now and wet wade.

Visit Orvis and LL Bean and sign up for their coupon deals. Eventually you'll get a coupon that will let you get waders to wear with your boots in time for the Fall and be around $ 200.00 for everything.

That's what I'd do anyway. I bought LL Bean waders last year with a 20% off coupon for $ 159.00 shipped to my door. I don't think they make that same model anymore but they do have a $ 200.00 set of waders that will be offered with a coupon deal.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks that does sound like a good idea just starting with the boots. While we're at it anybody have not recommendations? Is imagine I'll have to buy these in person as sizing is probably hard. I live close to an ll bean. Maybe I'll swing by.

after a bunch of great reviews by frinds on korkers, i went with the kgb's because of the regualr laces and interchangeable soles. and yeah all i can say is i'm very very very happy with them, comfortable, light, and the sole system is easy and simple.

FWIW, I was suckered into buying the very pricey Bean River Treads last year because the saleswoman told me her husband says they're "more comfortable than his real shoes." She was correct.

With a lifetime satisfaction garuntee, I plan to get 5 to 6 years out of the investment before I feel the boot has lived to a reasonable lifetime of service. FWIW, due to bad stiching, I did have the first pair replaced.

I walked in, presented my case, and walked out 15 minutes later with new boots.

Thanks for all the recommendations I'll check them all out!

Bean.

You have a lot of options in the $200 range, if that includes waders but not boots. If $200 is combined, it's a little tougher but not impossible.

For the waders, I had 3 pairs of the Orvis Silver Labels. Each lasted 2+ years to first leak, and about 3 years before the flood became too much. To be clear, I am tough on waders with the type of fishing I do, and based on waders I'd had before these, I do not consider this to be a bad lifetime for breathable waders. I loved how easily they converted to waste highs, were comfortable, pockets in all the right places, etc.

I now have the Bean Rapid Rivers. Bout a year, no leaks yet. There is a seam separating on the gravel guard. Where it's at, is not a leak, but it could spread to become a real bad leak. I like the articulated knees. Comfortable enough.

Before Orvis, I had a few pairs of Hodgeman WadeLites. Liked them too, and priced at about $100. They lasted about exactly a year, material just became non-waterproof over time.

Cabelas stuff is hit and miss. Some of it is really nice, other stuff is cheap.

Keep in mind cheap is ok, it's plenty comfortable and does it's job, it just doesn't last quite as long. Same for boots. For instance, the Cabela's ultralights you can get for $50-$70. They have good grip, support, and are among the most comfortable wading boots I've ever worn. But, as would be expected, they don't last very long. For me, the sides blow out in little over a year. Better boots last 3 times as long. But are 3 times the price. That doesn't make them a better buy, just depends what you're looking for. If buying cheap and replacing often is ok, then the cheap route is very viable for both waders and boots.

Yeah thats kind of what I've come to the conclusion of as well. The cheaper they are the less time they last however they all have a limited life expectancy. I'm looking at a set of waders and boots from cabelas for $200 total. Its in my price point and have heard they are good about replacing malfunctioning items even a few years later with no issues. I think I'll start there and maybe in a year or two have a little more money to spend on a nicer set. I live close to llbean and cabelas so I'll check them both out. Thanks again for all the help!

jhedge wrote:
Yeah thats kind of what I've come to the conclusion of as well. The cheaper they are the less time they last however they all have a limited life expectancy. I'm looking at a set of waders and boots from cabelas for $200 total. Its in my price point and have heard they are good about replacing malfunctioning items even a few years later with no issues. I think I'll start there and maybe in a year or two have a little more money to spend on a nicer set. I live close to llbean and cabelas so I'll check them both out. Thanks again for all the help!

Cabelas customer service has gone through a pretty strong transformation in the last couple years and unfortunately it's for the worse. It seems that most people in this thread are highly advising LL Bean due to their lifetime unconditional warranty. As Gfen pointed out, it really is that easy to walk in and then walk out with a replacement product should you have an issue.

You are correct the majority has said ll bean. I guess that'll be my first stop then. Is it really that easy to walk in and out? Do they have a limit on how old the item is out anything like that?

I had a pair of Beam waist highs that started to leak. I took them back with my sales slip and they refunded every cent to me. You can't beat that.
I would go with the LL Beam waders again.

Fwiw I just exchanged a 5 yr old pair of the Cabelas Premium DP waders today. I just told them there was a leak in the seam and they had me out with a new pair in about 20 minutes.

I'll enter another vote for LL Bean

I had purchased a pair of their Emerger II series of breathable waders. (Due to a tight budget at the time)
While walking streamside through some heavy brush, I fell and landed on a sharp stump from someone's brushcutting. Poked a nice hole in the waders. I used the kit that came with the waders and an Aquaseal repair kit to fix the puncture. No problems going forward and, when funds loosened up, I upgraded to the Bean's Rapid River waders.
Regulated the Emergers to backups until my brother had trouble with his waders. He used the Emergers a few times, but there was trouble with a leak in the non-patched leg.
I called LL Bean and explained the situation to customer service. They said to send the waders in and they would replace them. Just got a call from them today and the new waders are on the way.
The customer service person said they had some issues with that model and if I had any problems, to contact them right away and they would deal with any issues I had.
Great customer service from the Bean and great products.

whheff wrote:
I had a pair of Beam waist highs that started to leak. I took them back with my sales slip and they refunded every cent to me. You can't beat that.
I would go with the LL Beam waders again.

out of curiousity, when did you get them and did they suddenly fail?

jhedge wrote:
You are correct the majority has said ll bean. I guess that'll be my first stop then. Is it really that easy to walk in and out? Do they have a limit on how old the item is out anything like that?

Yes, it really is that easy.

I had no sales slip, and still left with the current product they sell in under 15 minutes from coming through the door. This includes banter with the sales girl, laughing at the manager's baldness, and waiting for them to pull one off the shelf.

I suspect that if the product was a past generation, it would've been somewhat more involved, but Bean really pushes, and stands by, the originial Lifetime Satisfaction garuntee, matter of fact, the bald manager has encouraged me to take advantage of it even when I don't think I would be in the right.

Lifetime means lifetime. Bean means your lifetime, should you choose to take advantage of it.

Cabela's has changed, now its 90 days, or for Cabela's branded clothing, a "lifetime of use." What's that mean? Depends. But I assure you I wouldn't get new waders if I walked in and handed them to them after 2 years.

On the other hand, even if Bean encourages you to use the lifetime commitment, I think there's a point where one's simply being a twat and taking advantage of it, but you're free to make that distinction to yourself. They'll let you do whatever you feel comfortable doing, because that's their thing.

Stop in on a Tueday night, take advantage of the free fly tying class.

Back