Which has the better drift

I agree with Jack, they ARE two different things. A bobber has the buoyancy to suspend the fly off the bottom. An indicator is a visual marker attached to, or incorporated in the line, and/or leader, and/or tippet section, but does not have the buoyancy to suspend the fly. No problem using either one. I fly fish au natural all the way up to a bobber the size of a small sparrow, depending on conditions.

I think that many fly fisherman are just too elitist to admit they use a bobber, and call the bobber they have attached to their line….a bobber.

The definition of a bobber from Webster’s Dictionary:

“a bobber is a small float used in angling, which suspends the lure at a predetermined depth.”

If it floats like a duck……………..

Neither the colored leader, the dry/dropper rig, colored flyline nor the "bobber" are better or worse (in moral terms) than the others. All have problems when it comes to presentation. But one is called a "bobber". What gets me is that people who use the other indicators sneer at people who use "bobbers". That's what's hypocritical. Whatever you are looking at, you are still using a visual aid to accentuate the twitch in the leader. It's just that it might be a section of mono, a dry fly, a piece of flyline or some strike paste. I'd say call them all what they are "visual aids".

This is an old pet peeve of mine. Way back when I took a one day course on fly fishing at a local flyshop, the instructor (a very famous flyfisherman) went on for some time about how we shouldn't be one of those lazy, worthless flyfishermen who use "bobbers". "Bobbers" took all the skill out of nymphing. Then he showed us how to rig up the other indicators. :-o

I usually use the end of my fly line..its a great indicator...so what?

Anyone who busts the chops of someone for using any other indicator is not only hypocritical but kind of snobby for suggesting that someone's technique for catching fish (especially one so broadly accepted in all facets of fly fishing) is somehow wrong or improper. Do what works.

And while I wouldn't condemn it (actually I hope to eventually get around to doing it) I find standing over a pod of stacked up fish, bouncing flies off their noses until one of them bites less honorable than using a small float to vary depth, aid in proper drift and detect strikes.

Okay, now I'm getting confused. Here's a scenario. I go to the local fly shop and pick up a pack of "strike indicators" that look like littl neon yellow foam dots. I go to the stream and figure the depth is two feet and I want my Tungsen bead head size 20 framis nymph to drift along one inch off the bottom so as to intice more trout. I set the stick on foam thingy at 23 inches from the fly. Now, is this a bobber, since it will suspend the tiny nymph, or is it a "indicator"? I'm thinking it's actually both.

mediclimber wrote:
Okay, now I'm getting confused. Here's a scenario. I go to the local fly shop and pick up a pack of "strike indicators" that look like littl neon yellow foam dots. I go to the stream and figure the depth is two feet and I want my Tungsen bead head size 20 framis nymph to drift along one inch off the bottom so as to intice more trout. I set the stick on foam thingy at 23 inches from the fly. Now, is this a bobber, since it will suspend the tiny nymph, or is it a "indicator"? I'm thinking it's actually both.

Floats (bobbers) are always indicators.

But indicators are not always floats (bobbers).

It, ummm, depends on whether they float or not. :)

These definitions have nothing to do whether you “should” or “shouldn’t” use either, of course. That’s a completely different question. Try both and see which you enjoy.

Out of the thre types I carry I much prefer the pinch on neon foam indicators. The oblong jobbies are more of a pain than they seem to be worth. Good thing they were given to me to try out. Out of three I've tried, I lost all three. At least the pinch on foam dots are relatively cheap and much quicker to move for various depths.

"Okay, now I'm getting confused. Here's a scenario. I go to the local fly shop and pick up a pack of "strike indicators" that look like littl neon yellow foam dots. I go to the stream and figure the depth is two feet and I want my Tungsen bead head size 20 framis nymph to drift along one inch off the bottom so as to intice more trout. I set the stick on foam thingy at 23 inches from the fly. Now, is this a bobber, since it will suspend the tiny nymph, or is it a "indicator"? I'm thinking it's actually both."

When I was learning to fly fish, I was told all things used to detect strikes, while fly fishing, were called strike indicators.
Bobbers are those red and white thines that attach to the line when bait fishing.

Like i said earlier, bobber suspend bait at 90 degree angle. Strike indicators opperate at multiple angles.

But this cooks my noodle: if i were to attach a red and white bobber to my leader while fly fishing, is it now a strike indicator? :lol:

There really isn't a distinction, in my mind. The problem is if you use one in still water, whether "strike indicator" or bobber", the fly will suspend, usually at a 90 degree angle. If you are fishing a stream, whether you are fishing a "bobber" or a "Strike indicator" the fly will drift at varying angles dependent on the difference of the speed of the current at the surface where the "bobber" or "indicator" is and the speed of the current where the fly is. Sometimes the water flows faster beneath the surface, sometimes it flows faster at the surface. The only difference between an "indicator" and a "bobber" is packaging.

i were to attach a red and white bobber to my leader while fly fishing, is it now a strike indicator? :lol:

Does it indicate strikes? :)

I. Strike indicators
A. Floating (bobbers)
B. Non-floating (orange leader segment, orange sleeves etc.)

If you are dumb enough to do that with the purpose of keeping your fly at a certain depth and detecting strikes, yes, it would be a strike indicator. Of course if it were one of those plastic red and white ones that was only 1/2 inch in size, what would be the difference? Actually, the difference would be that if enough people did it, they would sell them in a fly shop for a 100% mark-up.

"Actually, the difference would be that if enough people did it, they would sell them in a fly shop for a 100% mark-up."

Ain't that the truth!

Why are 6 sticky foam indicators $3. I can get a whole sheet of sticky-backed foam for $.33 and cut my own.

Polypropalene yarn is $.50 a spool, but a pack of 5 poly yarn indicators is $4. When I worked at a fly shop I could tie up dozens of those in 4-5 hours.

But, white and red bobbers are 4 for a buck.

Talk about trying to be eletist, not only do we call similar objects different things, but charge more--- jeez :-D

BTW, I still prefer "stike indicator" over "bobber," and i don't care how people see that.

This thread is hilarious.

"Strike indicators" suspend flies. "Bobbers" suspend flies. Fly lines suspend flies. No difference in term of suspension. The only difference is that with a fly line you can mend and alter the drift to keep it "natural". However, fishing with a bobber with a slack fishing line gives you a prettty natural drift, too. I've caught plently of fish both ways in a river.

Back