Where Would You Spend the Spring / Summer Trout Fishing in PA?

Easy answer.....Allegheny county so many trout fishing opportunities. Kidding my vote would easily go to State College, awesome fishing all around and I would get to relive my early 20's!

Here's a heatmap of Pennsylvania with Class A brook trout streams.
I love brook trout fishing more than most.

But there's something about the hatch scene on the central PA, wild brown trout limestoners for me. Penns, Spring, LJR, BFC, etc. Yeah yeah, it's too crowded. From a numbers and even size standpoint, there are also lesser known waters where my "success" expectation is higher. Just a few weeks ago I caught 20 some wild browns in a half day, with multiple in the mid-upper teens, in a lesser known stream most people associate with mine acid. That would be a truly exceptional day on one of those "famous" waters. But it doesn't mean it's the same.

Variety is important to me.

I love brook trout fishing more than most.

But there's something about the hatch scene on the central PA, wild brown trout limestoners for me. Penns, Spring, LJR, BFC, etc. Yeah yeah, it's too crowded. From a numbers and even size standpoint, there are also lesser known waters where my "success" expectation is higher. Just a few weeks ago I caught 20 some wild browns in a half day, with multiple in the mid-upper teens, in a lesser known stream most people associate with mine acid. That would be a truly exceptional day on one of those "famous" waters. But it doesn't mean it's the same.

Variety is important to me.
I agree. The OP asked about "Native Class A" waters, so I provided a visual to address that part of the question.

Though I bet a large percentage of those "Class A Brook Trout" streams on that map also have browns. Some probably more than a few.

I agree. The OP asked about "Native Class A" waters, so I provided a visual to address that part of the question.

Though I bet a large percentage of those "Class A Brook Trout" streams on that map also have browns. Some probably more than a few.
Ohhhh yea some probably don’t have brook trout. I like the variety of everything in fly fishing too. While fishing for native brook trout is my favorite. I also really enjoy sulfurs, tan caddis, and drakes ect i. The famous brown trout waters(we know we will always have those because we are managing for them).

But if the OP is asking, from the context of wild native brook trout streams, where people would buy property to experience that, I initially said potter. But if anyone was confused why I switched my answer to boynton/salsbury PA on the southernborder where no native brook trout class A’s exist, that would be because its 15-20 min from the savage river state forest/upper savge brook trout management area in MD which is purposefully managed for native brook trout and is Maryland equivalent of what the OP was looking for in Pa.

Our class A’s with brook trout will not be around long in many cases(or have little to no brook trout already) due to the management in PA.

So to answer the question as the OP’s stated goal: best place to live would be where you have class A streams that are managed to not disappear after you drop the dough on the cabin.

Ohhhh yea some probably don’t have brook trout. I like the variety of everything in fly fishing too. While fishing for native brook trout is my favorite. I also really enjoy sulfurs, tan caddis, and drakes ect i. The famous brown trout waters(we know we will always have those because we are managing for them).

But if the OP is asking, from the context of wild native brook trout streams, where people would buy property to experience that, I initially said potter. But if anyone was confused why I switched my answer to boynton/salsbury PA on the southernborder where no native brook trout class A’s exist, that would be because its 15-20 min from the savage river state forest/upper savge brook trout management area in MD which is purposefully managed for native brook trout and is Maryland equivalent of what the OP was looking for in Pa.

Our class A’s with brook trout will not be around long in many cases(or have little to no brook trout already) due to the management in PA.

So to answer the question as the OP’s stated goal: best place to live would be where you have class A streams that are managed to not disappear after you drop the dough on the cabin.
I've been thinking about permanently relocating to Garrett County Maryland myself. Only have 1 kid left at home and then I'm free to move about.

Class A by your map sure by I wouldn't necessarily pic them based on Class A brook trout streams. Example Lycoming County has a ton of streams too but not as many class A streams.

It really depends on what you want.

Honestly so many good choices in NEPA, NCPA and Central PA. Also if you fish other states like NY or WV could weigh in on where you located in PA if it was down to fishing preference.

Cumberland would be a good choice for the summer too.

I do think Philadelphia County we can all agree on as a no for summer time trout fishing.

what could be done to manage the brook trout streams in Potter?

Just like Millerstime, I am a Poconos guy. In fact, we have met and he knows what I do there. There are much better places to fish in PA but I have cabins in the woods to stay at without any public roads along the stream so I feel like I am "in the woods" even though the town of Blakeslee is right there incase I forgot or need something.

The fishing is plenty good enough for me.

Just like Millerstime, I am a Poconos guy. In fact, we have met and he knows what I do there. There are much better places to fish in PA but I have cabins in the woods to stay at without any public roads along the stream so I feel like I am "in the woods" even though the town of Blakeslee is right there incase I forgot or need something.

The Poconos have some very good wild trout streams, you just need to know where to look.

What are some things they are doing?
Good question! Yes what are the successful nuts and bolts of “managing for brook trout”. When I just say manage for brook trout it seems kind of abstract on its face doesn’t it?

I am glad you asked. Without writing a book on here and angering any of the “survivors of native brook trout” on Pa fly fish I will share some resources I have attempted to create in the past to answer just that question for the general public and those invested in conservation.

643A0B9B CC64 424F B882 545C4408DC94

Page 16 in below link

Here is the pod cast that goes with the article

If you subscribe to fly fishermen magazine there will be an article march 7th at your door or in the supermarket that I wrote about this topic as well where I point out PA fish and boats massive failures and compare them to more competent states succeeding as resource managers in these special management areas like WV,MD,VA ect. Read Ross Purnell’s separate article/editorial on the matter talking about how pa can do better as well.

Last edited:

Another NEPA guy here. I have all the fishing i need or will ever get to enjoy within an hour's drive. Most within 20 minutes. Deer hunting isnt bad either.
Plenty of SGL, State Forest and other public land.

And this post is me hoping and praying that this thread doesn't turn into an outright outlet for all things "brook trout." 🤞🤞🤞 Looks like we're heading that way.......
The original poster mentions places to spend time that have native class A streams and brook trout come up…..shocker

Back