Where were the Browns?

acristickid wrote:
Catching 10 inch or larger fish in small streams is the exception to the rule. Your gonna catch 20, 4-7 inch fish for every 10 incher.

Yep, this is pretty accurate with small freestone stream Browns. I'd say give or take 20 for every 10"er, and you'll probably catch 100+ for every one 15"er. I fish these kinds of streams a lot and a 15" wild Brown is a once a year type of occurrence. 17" is the biggest I've ever caught from a small freestone stream.

To grow em' bigger you need limestone water (and food abundance) or direct access to bigger water (with more food) for at least part of the year.

The same kind of logic can be applied to Brookies, just back down the size a bit. 20 for every 8"er, 100+ for every 10"er. I seem to catch a couple 10 inchers a year, but they're not terribly common. 13" is the biggest I've caught.

If you're looking for big fish, small freestoners generally aren't the places to find them. Some of them have good numbers, pretty fish, and provide nice scenery for the experience though.

pretty sure recreational rights were locked up as public by WPC several years ago at last part of it was.

Yep. Though because of the lease issue it hasn't been turned into state/national land, and was handed over to a private holdings group with heavy restrictions on what they can do.

But access/recreational rights are indeed locked up as public.

Lease issue - meaning there were a handful of camps that faced eminent domain and fought it legally. Successfully. Initially supposed to be 30 year leases that weren't to be renewed, but I think now that they can be renewed forever (but the owners can't sell or something).

So the WPC owned a bunch and wanted to make it all national forest, but there's rules about allowing national forest land with leases on it, so that's all nixed. WPC backed off and sold it to a private timber group with heavy stipulations.

I agree w swatties comments on small trout in small streams I rarely see a 10" brookie on a truly small stream. and if I do, the stream probably has good temps / 61 in summer, good pH/ 6.8 in the summer, or very good habitat/deep holes

StarvinMarvin wrote:
what gets beat more? a red headed step child or a western pa wild trout stream?

THAT is funny!!!!

@trey,

ya theres something called a book, and theres more than one that contains info on the area you fished. every little trickle in pa doesnt have a road map and step by step direction for easy access and success.

as far as the browns go they are there, there are just harder to catch.... enjoy your 50 fish, next time there will be 15 and 5 guys there with their limit.. . .

StarvinMarvin wrote:
enjoy your 50 fish, next time there will be 15 and 5 guys there with their limit.. . .

That only adds up to 40 fish. Trey catching 15, and 5 anglers catching 5 each totaling 25. What happened to the other 10? I'm confused. I'm afraid you've lost me Marv.

Alright. I think he gets it. The dude seems teachable, so let it gooooooooooooo.

Swattie87 wrote:
StarvinMarvin wrote:
enjoy your 50 fish, next time there will be 15 and 5 guys there with their limit.. . .

That only adds up to 40 fish. Trey catching 15, and 5 anglers catching 5 each totaling 25. What happened to the other 10? I'm confused. I'm afraid you've lost me Marv.

Math sucks.

Yeah. Bad anti SBing math really knots up my leader.

There were some constructive posts above coaching Trey on the potential concerns about naming a stream like that. Whether you buy it or not. Other posts just had bad math.

First things first, could someone explain how to properly quote a post, because this post took forever and nothing is quoted correctly. I don't see a quote button near the original post like I normally do on other forums...

You got the most civil response to mentioning a small stream's name I've seen on this site. We must all be simmering out in our old age

Shoot me a PM the next time you go over and I can tell you how to access the area without a compass The picture I mentioned that was on FB today was taken by a now great friend that I took over there purely because he found the place himself, didn't want spoon fed anything, but did want to know if I knew how to get in without getting lost. We've fished way too much together since. Come to think of it...we're leaving for MI in 2 days.

Those are the best kinds of friends to have. Thanks again, Good luck in Michigan and I will talk with you soon!

That one fish that went 20". Yep, that's where the big fish, and the browns are. ;)

Seriously, even in the main stem fish average 7-10 inches, which is pretty fair for a wild trout stream. There are a few brutes about, generally river run browns in the 15" to low 20's class. In Reese, fish are gonna average smaller and you'll be less likely to run into the big ones.

None of these streams are class A browns to my knowledge. They all contain browns (all 3 species actually). But the main stem isn't class A anything, and Reese I believe is class A but not for browns. Second, they're rated by biomass, not number, and how many 4-10 inch brookies and bows make up the same weight as the one 20 incher you saw?

Your experience is pretty standard for me in that area. In the main stem, rainbows dominate, browns next, and brookies are relatively rare. There is not a huge population of any of them and a mid-day visit in summer with low water makes it seem like there's no fish there at all, they hole up in the deep spots. It fishes best when the waters up but not too colored, and the fish come out of those deep spots and into heads and tails of those pools. On a good day, I'll land close to 10 fish there. 6 or 7 bows, 1-3 browns, and maybe 1 brookie.

If I'm close to ending the day and I'm short the brookie to complete the wild slam, I'll venture up Reese where they are the most common species, and come in much greater numbers. If you spend most of the day on Reese, yeah, you can get into the 50+ range, but they'll be mostly brookies and average pretty small. Browns will be the rare one to catch.

If that was your first FF experience, you did well. It sounds like a typical day there for an experienced angler.

As for access, I don't know how you accessed it. But there's no "easy" way. That's a STEEP hill. Roads run high parallel to Hemlock on both sides. So you either park on one of those roads and deal with the hill (there are good paths/pipelines to walk), or you park farther downstream along Hemlock and hike way up in there. As was said, difficult access is a good thing

Although I have no reference point, the area had gotten some rain, and it rained while I was there as well. The color of the water in the main stem (Hemlock) had a decent stain to it with maybe 2 feet of visibility, but dirty beyond that. When I make it up that way again, I will have to focus on that section more. From the sound of it, browns don't typically rise for flies? So basically think steelhead when fishing for them? If so, with my prior steelhead experience of 10 + years, I should be able to pick that up quick!.... hopefully haha.

If you parked a couple miles north of the the creek, you were on an old township road on the wrong side of Hemlock. I walked in that way once to fish Hemlock. Chose it because it was shorter to the part of Hemlock that I wanted to fish, wasn't very steep, plus I didn't want anyone to know I was fishing Hemlock. It was opening day and I didn't want to advertise to the freezer fillers.

I had assumed you parked on President Road right where the road turns south and starts up the hill to Pinegrove. It is about the same distance walk to Reese Run. But at least that way you can fish your way up to it.

There is no easy access to that one. There are some logging roads and pipelines, but I think they are all closed to vehicle traffic cept for maybe in deer season and even that is only a guess. Makes for relatively easy walking I guess.

Some of us will be at the Steelhead jam in October. there is a thread on the Events page.

No, your other north.

I think we are talking about different roads. I think the one you are thinking about is to the east and absolutely true.

Based on Trey's description, I was thinking T-317 which turns off of McCalmont road. McCalmont is the one that starts right next to Hemlock Creek at Route 62..

Trey is right, most people wouldn't take that route, but I did once. Not that bad of a walk other than the distance.

Keep in mind, I haven't been on that road in over 10 years. so I could be wrong, but pretty sure recreational rights were locked up as public by WPC several years ago at last part of it was. If now posted, that would be news to me.

Yea, all three of them are well known. Freakin Ohesians are ruining them.

BTW Trey, I likely know where you caught those brook trout near Cleveland, too. I found it 20 years ago without the internet.

Reminded me of home.

Don't worry, I leave it alone. I used to stop there on the way home from work just to walk and clear my head.

You hit the nail on the head with the road my friend. Although we must have parked in different areas, there was a trail, but it ended about a mile from the stream into nothingness. That other spot sounds like what I would call easy access. A solid way to and from your car with a good walking path/waterway. My phone died, and thus my compass and it took me a solid 4 hours to find my way back to my car, part of it in the dark, with rudimentary navigation processes. Embarrassed to admit that, but it is a solid reminder to keep a compass with you when you are in unknown territory.

I will have to check out the steelhead Jam info. My buddies are already hooking into them up here! A few of them went out this morning.

It's an awesome area for sure, I'm glad that Ohio has procedures in place to protect the species and expand their range. The population I found is apparently a long term transplant from the one i think you are referring to. I only wish we had more suitable trout waters.

Unless things have changed, that is all posted land. I talked to one of the guys who is part of the lease up there he said people have been cited for trespassing. Mostly hunters, but still. It wouldn't be a good idea to access the stream up there.

Fwiw, all 3 of those streams are very well known as far as small streams go. Especially since there are so few Class A's in the area. But still, these places can and will go downhill if the wrong people fish them. It happens, and from what I've been told by an old timer........the publicity really hurt the population on one of those streams. Imagine if there was a lot of info on that stream you fished on the open web. Would the fishing still be good? Something to think about. This ain't Spring Creek!

Plenty of nice wild trout water in the region......and very little of it is recognized as good wild trout water by the PFBC. It pays off to explore. Never know what you may find!

Figured I'd share this: The last time I fished the main stem I caught mostly rainbows and a couple brookies. No browns that day.

I fished a different stream, in a different watershed, that same weekend under the same conditions(pretty darn low and clear; bright sun), and I did well with the wild browns, with some brooks mixed in. Never know when the browns will be out and about!!

Where I parked was actually a sign that said Public Hunting Land, so I figured I was good to go. As a rule, If there are posted No Trespassing signs, I don't step foot on the ground. I do a lot of hiking looking for protected species of reptiles and amphibians, and that is one thing you have to be cautious and cognizant of.
I read about Spring Creek, it seems there is a lot of publicity on that water, why is it not adversely affected? ( Rereading that, it sounds facetious, but I am being genuine with that question!) I am glad that there is not a ton of published info out there, there was little sign of human presence on the water itself and it felt good to get "lost" while fishing. Actually getting lost later however, was not so enjoyable.

I am to explore as best as possible, not something I am unaccustomed to. Unfortunately I work between 60-90 hours a week , averaging 70 with a an 6 day work week. So, unless local, I am lucky to get out once or twice every couple of weeks. There is a supposed Brown stream that is listed that is closer to home, I think I will try there next.

Lots of water in that area to fish. Fall should get the browns stirring. Browns are never easy,persistence is the key. GG

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask again i suppose, should I fish for browns how I would fish for steel? Do they typically not rise for flies? Thats what it seems like people are conveying... but figured I would clarify lol.

Oops! North, southeast.....same thing LOL. I was thinking north as in upstream for some reason, but that certainly isn't the case here hahaha

None of the ways are easy.....regardless of direction I'm A ok with that.

There's many better brown trout streams around there, with easier access.

You'll have to take me! Kidding of course.

Yep, this is pretty accurate with small freestone stream Browns. I'd say give or take 20 for every 10"er, and you'll probably catch 100+ for every one 15"er. I fish these kinds of streams a lot and a 15" wild Brown is a once a year type of occurrence. 17" is the biggest I've ever caught from a small freestone stream.

To grow em' bigger you need limestone water (and food abundance) or direct access to bigger water (with more food) for at least part of the year.

The same kind of logic can be applied to Brookies, just back down the size a bit. 20 for every 8"er, 100+ for every 10"er. I seem to catch a couple 10 inchers a year, but they're not terribly common. 13" is the biggest I've caught.

If you're looking for big fish, small freestoners generally aren't the places to find them. Some of them have good numbers, pretty fish, and provide nice scenery for the experience though.

So this is a stupid question I am sure i could google, but what designates a freestone stream vs a limestone stream? There certainly seemed to be plenty of limestone around...

That being said I really liked the stream, and the experience, and hope to duplicate it in many other areas. I'll just have to mix in some bigger fish next time lol.

@trey,

ya theres something called a book, and theres more than one that contains info on the area you fished. every little trickle in pa doesnt have a road map and step by step direction for easy access and success.

as far as the browns go they are there, there are just harder to catch.... enjoy your 50 fish, next time there will be 15 and 5 guys there with their limit.. . .

Not sure what you are saying with the book comment, but no worries Marvin. Like I said I just didn't realize the policy with these streams. The last thing I want is any water way to be ruined, whether it be overfishing or through other means.

One thing that does baffle me, why in the world is someone keeping a 4"-10" fish? Theres no meat on em, you would need at least 50 to make a meal lol. I don't keep fish either way, but it really throws me for a loop when I hear a few of you saying people are keeping these fish!

Thanks for that. I love the user name. I'm in a Facebook group entitled Ohio Steelhead and Sasquatch Hunters.

Heres a nice pic for you!
12004040_10207004140557892_8608115737506324032_n_zps91prq7ju.jpg

pcray1231 wrote:
pretty sure recreational rights were locked up as public by WPC several years ago at last part of it was.

Yep. Though because of the lease issue it hasn't been turned into state/national land, and was handed over to a private holdings group with heavy restrictions on what they can do.

But access/recreational rights are indeed locked up as public.

Lease issue - meaning there were a handful of camps that faced eminent domain and fought it legally. Successfully. Initially supposed to be 30 year leases that weren't to be renewed, but I think now that they can be renewed forever (but the owners can't sell or something).

So the WPC owned a bunch and wanted to make it all national forest, but there's rules about allowing national forest land with leases on it, so that's all nixed. WPC backed off and sold it to a private timber group with heavy stipulations.

Not quite true Pat, but close.

Issue was that many of the houses and camps in President are on leased land formerly owned by President Oil Company which consisted of over 11,000 acres. And I believe the typical ease was 99 years. Many had only about 30 years left though.

WPC bought it all and attempted to sell it to the Game Commission. WPC didn't want to extend or sell those separately and surely the potential end purchaser (Game Commission) would not. When is the last time they sold any game lands?

There were all kinds of threats of law suits, but IMO the home and camp owners would likely have eventually lost but at great expense to WPC and/or the Game Commission had they bought it. It was the Game Commission who backed out, not WPC, who then sold it to a lumber company and placed restrictions on timber practices. Best practices as determined by Penn State I think.

Recreational use was kept by WPC and designated public use in perpetuity.

Not sure if any of the properties under homes and camps were sold since, or if leases were extended by new owner, but I think a few were. A relative of mine who owns one of those has 30 some years left on his lease. He is fairly confident of being able to either extend the lease or buy the property under his dwelling, but doesn't really know. By then he will be 85 and likely doesn't care all that much.

Not very relevant to the OP though, other than OK to fish, but don't drive on it. Not sure camping is allowed either, but I suspect not.

And watch out for the mountain lions and bear that lives there.

Trey wrote:

It's an awesome area for sure, I'm glad that Ohio has procedures in place to protect the species and expand their range. The population I found is apparently a long term transplant from the one i think you are referring to. I only wish we had more suitable trout waters.

Well, I still think we are talking the same stream. I am familiar with the one that is truly native and even have a copy of the genetic study around here someplace.

The stream I discovered years abo used to have a non-native strain from Quibec, but I believe it is now part of that transplant program you mentioned.

I really don't want to say more than that on an open forum. As you know, there aren't many of them.

What can I say, I get around. Well, I used to at least.

Trey wrote:
Thanks for that. I love the user name. I'm in a Facebook group entitled Ohio Steelhead and Sasquatch Hunters.

Heres a nice pic for you!
12004040_10207004140557892_8608115737506324032_n_zps91prq7ju.jpg

See, you already talk to me all the time... I check in every day and just posted a great meme about my wife ;-)

I read about Spring Creek, it seems there is a lot of publicity on that water, why is it not adversely affected?

Spring Creek is a limestoner that holds very steady flows and temps. It has around the top wild trout biomass east of the Mississippi (sometimes first, sometimes just top 5, but always up there). It has also, strangely, benefitted from pollution. A chemical spill led to cessation of stocking, combined with essentially permanent no harvest rules (for human health purposes). The result was an explosion of wild trout.

Bait is allowed, but overall bait pressure is low, fly rod pressure is high. And because there's no harvest, most who do fish it, regardless of tackle, tend to be the more enlightened types. That, combined with the fact that it's just so good, leads to it being pretty resilient to fishing pressure.

So this is a stupid question I am sure i could google, but what designates a freestone stream vs a limestone stream? There certainly seemed to be plenty of limestone around.

Limestone bedrock is permeable and water soluble. As a general rule, a "pure" limestone stream has very large springs where an entire stream or river can originate and be at full flow immediately. So you get a sizable stream fresh from the spring, thus it remains a constant temperature year round. A freestone stream has no limestone around and originates from runoff as well as thousands of very small springs, slowly gaining size as it flows, and thus larger streams tend to be warmer.

Because it's water soluble, the water chemistry is different as well, with lots of dissolved minerals in limestone water. Almost mineral water. And as such the pH tends to be on the basic side, with high alkalinity, thus providing a fantastic base to the food chain and making the stream impervious to acid rain.

Reality? Well, it's rare to have a "full" limestoner or a "full" freestoner. Most are some level in between.

A good measurement is alkalinity. For class A streams, the PFBC class A list provides you with useful information. The last category is T_Alk.

A T_Alk < 10 indicates a nearly full blown freestoner, very infertile. Larger, richer freestoners tend to be in the 10-40 range. Streams that are commonly considered to be limestoners tend to be >100, and full blown limestoners will be in the 200ish class.

NW PA (or the whole northern tier, really, i.e. anywhere on the plateau) doesn't have many of these, you gotta get to the ridge and valley regions to find them, where valleys are wide and flat and underlain by limestone bedrock.

The Hemlock drainage tends to be pretty fertile for a freestoner, but they are all freestoners.

This is how the ownership transferred. WPA sale to PGC did not complete so they sold it to Collins Pine with recreation easement. There is a small hunting lease that is well posted at the upper end that does not impact the waterway. Hunting pressure in that area is ridiculous on opening day of firearms, not so bad at other times. Usually a couple nice bear are harvested close to the water in the valley's.

Difficult access keeps this waterway pretty consistently decent.

Trey send me a PM if you want to try again when the foliage is less. I am in the area most weekends.

I have seen eagles fishing Hemlock as well. :)

Limestone v. Freestone...

I was hoping we’d get a pcrayin’ on that one. Mostly so I didn’t feel the need to type out the answer!

Initiation is complete Trey, you have officially been "Pcray'd" :-D

Trey wrote:
First things first, could someone explain how to properly quote a post, because this post took forever and nothing is quoted correctly. I don't see a quote button near the original post like I normally do on other forums...

Maybe it is because it was so freakin long? ;-)

Rules are that if you have 100+ posts, you are fair game. Unless you are from Ohio, then it is 10+

Quote button there (lower left) after you hit reply, but you can make your own which you apparently figured out.

Where are the browns? They moved to Baltimore awhile back.

Back