Where to start

P

psummrnl

I was a lifelong spin fisherman but toward the end of last summer I decided to tackle the challenge of fly fishing. I was instantly hooked. I am anticipating the upcoming spring season. I am looking for suggestions in terms of accumulating an array of fly options. I'm not working with a large budget and the local fly shop trips add up fast! I mostly fish in York County and Spring Creek/Penns Creek/Little J near State College, PA. Any suggestions on accumulating an arsenal of effective flies affordably? Any websites that you have had success with in terms of quality of the flies for the price. Anyone on here that ties that would like to sell me some of their work? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much. This site is a great resource.

Hello,Welcome to PAFF!!
I'm new to FFing and here as well.I got my first flies from TheFlystop.com.Lots of places online to order from.
I believe it was Gfen who made a post awhile on the Beginner forum with a short list of must-haves.
Your right,lots of good info here!!

gfen Re: Flies #4

From Lehigh Valley
"Buy some pheasant tails and some hare's ears for nymphs, 14-18.
Buy some peacock soft hackles for wets, 14.
Buy some elk hair or CDC-and-elk caddis dries, 14-16.
Buy some Adams dry flies, regular and parachute, 12-18.
Buy some Blue Wing Olive dry flies, regular and parachute, 16-18.
Buy some Sulphur dry flies, regular and parachute, 14-16.
Buy some beetles 14-16, grasshoppers 8-10, and ants 14-16, and Royal Wulffs, 12-16.
On edit..
Buy some Wooly Buggers in olive and black for streamers, 6-8

Go out and have a good time. You've got your bases covered. You'll figure the rest out with due time.

If its graceful and slender while it flies, its a mayfly.
If its mothlike and spastic, its a caddis fly.
If its anything else, use an appropriate caddis or mayfly anyways. Its fishing, not rocket science.

If the bug coming off the water is light, use a sulpher. If its dark, use an Adams. If its tiny and olve, its a BWO. If you can't tell, use an Adams or a BWO (you'll figure them otu quick enough). If there's nothing, but you want to prospect or just have fun, use one of the terrestials or the Wulff.

That's it. Seriously. Don't let anyoen tell you its more complex.

Posted on: 2/1 21:20 "

This is Gfens post I was refering to...
Gfen,hope you don't mind me copying that posting it.
I actually wrote it down and use it when I'm ordering flies!!

Thanks! Great info.

The quality of the flies you got from that website was pretty good?

Any seasoned fly fisherman that have an opinion on the quality from theflystop.com?

fordman wrote:
This is Gfens post I was refering to...
Gfen,hope you don't mind me copying that posting it.
I actually wrote it down and use it when I'm ordering flies!!

No way, I'm pretty flattered actually.

FWIW, you'll eventually realize there's limitations there, but that's a fine way to get out and get started without losing yourself in row after row of flies in a store for the first time.

The presentation supercedes the pattern, once you begin to get adept at the former, you can sweat more details on the latter.

In due time, you'll have your pet patterns.

Here are some good threads from the past with fly recommendations:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12281&forum=21&post_id=156810#forumpost156810

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5517&forum=2&post_id=51995#forumpost51995

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1530&forum=2&post_id=11863#forumpost11863

Don’t sweat the flies too much. Get yourself a basic selection and work on your presentation and water reading skills. A decent angler using only one fly all season will out fish a less seasoned angler with a couple of boxes filled with flies. Good luck.

Agree with all the other posts.

One thing I will say, since you fish Spring/Penns, is that FFP has very high quality flies, and they will be very helpful with advice and such, even show you how to tie them. I always appreciated that when I started, they were in position to sell me all kinds of stuff I didn't need, and didn't. In fact, when I manfondled expensive equipment, they steered me towards the cheaper stuff.

The Feathered Hook in Coburn is also a very good shop, and Jonas is knowledgable and helpful.

DON'T be intimidated by these guys, go mine knowledge and ask questions. Spending huge sums of money isn't a prerequisite to get that knowledge.

Sandfly who posts on here ties very nice flies and owns a shop up State , but if you get serious , tie your own. The feeling that comes with knowing you can tie one that will fool 'em is the best.

If you are a lifelong spin fisherman, you'll be up to speed once you learn to cast and present flies correctly, which it seems you are already taking care of. You already know where the fish are, feeding lies, when they are active, etc. That stuff all still applies, with the added bonus of the ability to chase surface feeders. Those lies are a little different, but the fish are nice enough to show you where they are rising. :)

If I were you, I would make a selection of buggers the cornerstone of my arsenal. When I transitioned from spin to fly, I was told to fish a bugger like it was bait. It worked then and it will work now.

Gfen has a pretty adequate explanation of the rest. Experiment with that and the rest will fall into place in relatively short order.

Hello guys. Thank you all for posting so much information. I have a couple fly questions i would like some help with. I have been looking through the Pocket Guide to Pennsylvania Hatches and looking to pick up a couple flies from a local fly shop.

1) As Far as Midges goes, am i understanding correctly I should use a Zebra midge or griffith gnat as a nymph and a midge as a dry fly? What is the tied name for the Midge dry?

2)The Little Black Caddis are coming in soon, the book says to use Black CDC Scud Caddis for dry, standard BH Nymphs? I do not understand what these are, a little help please. Tied names.

3)The little Blue wing Olives, Blue dun are also coming in soon. Book says CDC BWO Emergers, Parachute BWO Dun. Is this the correct name of the tied fly or is there another name i should be looking for?

4)in April the Spring Blue Quill, Little Mahogany Dun will be coming in and the book says to use CDC and snowshoe emergers? I already have the nymphs but what dry fly is this? Is this the correct name i should be looking for when looking for the dry fly?

sorry so many questions but i like to be prepared. Thanks now to all your help. I am sure i will have more questions in the future.

psu,I buy flies from theflystop.com and they are very reasonably priced and decent quality.Had some hooks fail last fall while fishing for Salmon in NY,they replaced them with no arguement.I also tie some but at their prices it's hardly worth it.Never had a hook fail from them on trout.

Zen, dude. Strip away all the trappings, and focus on the simple things, and the complex ones shall take care of themselves.

Put the book in your pocket, its a pocket guide, best place for it. Buy some simple patterns laid out up there, go fishing.

Stand by the stream, get your gig ready. Smoke something.

While you're smoking, watch the water, I know you looked at that book before hand, so you've got a feel for what's gonna happen, but its not gospel, and that's why you shoved that book back in your pocket, right?

You start to notice fish rising, and you start to see flies in the air.

You see a thing fly by your face, its about the size of your pinky nail, and glides by gracefully. Its brown, and its got light wings.

You've got two paths to chose from, they both goto the same place.

You whip out your handy book, consult the pages that indicate what's flying around, you make a note of whatever the hell Latin names and common names its probably got, take a look at the suggested pattern, swear coz you couldn't find snowshoe rabbit emerger crippled duns and tie on a cdc emergent dun instead, hoping its good enough. You then begin to flail at the water, knowing full well that crafty brownie down there knows you're offering it cul-de-canard based flies and not the suggested lepus americanus hind foot toe hair based flies you shoud be using. Also, you looked at the wrong page, and it turns out this isn't blue wing olives and its actually blue quills and sweet babby jesus its all epic fail and and and and wait are they emerging or laying eggs or spinning in and is my hare's foot authentic snowshoe or is it dyed a funny shade and this is not my beautiful house and this is not my beautiful wife where is that large automobile

-Or-

Its about the size of your pinky nail, its kinda light brown. This size 16 adams will do quite nicely, and since we're in the beginnings of the hatch, bonus, it'll lay nice and flat and look like an emerger, until about midway through where it'll still look like an egg layer, and gosh at the end, it'll even kinda sorta look kinda spinnerish.

Bam. Done.

Zen and the art of fly selection.

BTW, that book? WHen you're done, you can consult it to see what you saw. Now you've got a name, you can best figure out which nymph might be more likely next time you swing through, or if you should buy some extra size 12 or size 18 Adamses, or maybe you might want to add some new sulphur parachutes to the collection coz book says that's coming up.

oh, but to less flippantly answer your questions:
1) griffith's gnat goes on top, who cares what's underneath, spring is upon us and its time for things tied in realistic sizes.
2) i don't know what that means either. how about you buy some of them there elk hair caddis flies, life is good. bh probably means beadhead. standard nymph? whatever. it should probably look like this one, does it really need a name? does anything? that book tells you what colour the larva is, that's nice, but if in doubt, stupid bright green.
3) parachute bwos, seriously. they look like this, that's to say they've got olive bodies and kinda blue wings.
4) dude, i don't even knwo what those are. google says they're Adams Parachutes, though.

ok, maybe i failed on less flippantly. more structured must count for something, right

post script: latin names are awesome for running into dudes along the stream the next day. you will sound more awesome talkin all science like instead of saying goober carp like, "i used an adams!" crazy fly patterns also give you indy [d]street[/d] creek cred. no goober wants to be like, "i used an adams" when they can say "i used a loop wing hare's ear emerger with z-lon tail variant i came up with."

STILL laughing at "smoke something" GREAT ADVICE , seriously , it is. learn the trick of not charging in there make yourself take the time to look things over and Jay's advice on the Bugger is good advice too , my spin fisher friends all started trying to fly fish AFTER they caught nice fish on wooly buggers on their spin outfits. Both taking your time and getting confidence in a fly/method will move you onward down the path.

Wow, sorry. Did not think those were so hard of a question. Match the hatch, was just trying to get a fly for those 4 bugs. Guess I'm a goober.

steve2u42 wrote:

1) As Far as Midges goes, am i understanding correctly I should use a Zebra midge or griffith gnat as a nymph and a midge as a dry fly? What is the tied name for the Midge dry?

2)The Little Black Caddis are coming in soon, the book says to use Black CDC Scud Caddis for dry, standard BH Nymphs? I do not understand what these are, a little help please. Tied names.

3)The little Blue wing Olives, Blue dun are also coming in soon. Book says CDC BWO Emergers, Parachute BWO Dun. Is this the correct name of the tied fly or is there another name i should be looking for?

4)in April the Spring Blue Quill, Little Mahogany Dun will be coming in and the book says to use CDC and snowshoe emergers? I already have the nymphs but what dry fly is this? Is this the correct name i should be looking for when looking for the dry fly?

You're not a goober - they're fine questions for the Beginner's Forum. Here's how I'd answer 'em:

1. The term "Zebra Midge" is a fly pattern that is a nymph and almost never fished on the surface. Flies fished on or in the surface are usually called "dry flies." A "Grif Gnat" is also a midge imitation but IS a dry fly. There is no generic fly name for midge flies fished on the surface - they can all be lumped under the name of midge dries. The Grif Gnat fly would fall under this category. The Zeb Midge would not because it is (almost always) fished below the surface.
2. The "Little Black Caddis" is an insect. I think "Black CDC Scud Caddis" is a fly pattern but I haven't heard of it. If ordering flies, you could just ask for a dry fly imitation of a Lit Blk Caddis. "BH Nymphs" mean nymph flies tied with a bead head (makes 'em heavier). You'll see the acronym "BH" a lot.
3. Correct, they are fly names for the insects listed.
4. Dry flies for the Spring Blue Quill and Little Mahogany Dun could cover several pattern names. If you're ordering on the phone and talking to the excellent fly shop proprietors listed further up this post, just tell them the insect names and they will have patterns that imitate them. In many ways, when buying dry flies to imitate the bugs you've listed, the fly size is more important than the pattern name. Fly sizes are referred to by hook number. Hook numbers get smaller in size as the number increases. Midge flies are usually very small, around #20 or 22 whereas the other flies you listed will be larger, usually around #14 or 16.

steve2u42 wrote:
Wow, sorry. Did not think those were so hard of a question. Match the hatch, was just trying to get a fly for those 4 bugs. Guess I'm a goober.

No, but it was like 3am when I was typing that, so feel free to decide who's a goober based on that.

They're not hard questions, but its hard for someone looking in who belives, or wants to believe, there's magic in all this. That's the beauty of it, they're easy questions. It looks like this, so I'll use something that looks like that. Its the prime directive.

Everything else is about installing a mystique to it, making it something bigger and more esoteric than it is. The thing is, it doesn't have to be like that. It can really be as simple as it seems.

There's plenty of time to reach the bit where you can stand safe in the knowledge that it must be Hexagenia Whateveris because they have only have two tails and so your patterns have three tails so you cut one off to match. But you don't have to.

My answer for people is often, "brown size 14 fly." Gooberosity becomes me.

BTW, Osprey, "smoke something" is sage advice. Cigarette, pipe, whatever. Gives you time to watch things happen, clear your mind, and prevents you from dropping your pipe in the water while you're trying to tie things on.

gfen wrote:
steve2u42 wrote:

No, but it was like 3am when I was typing that, so feel free to decide who's a goober based on that.

They're not hard questions, but its hard for someone looking in who belives, or wants to believe, there's magic in all this. That's the beauty of it, they're easy questions. It looks like this, so I'll use something that looks like that. Its the prime directive.

Everything else is about installing a mystique to it, making it something bigger and more esoteric than it is. The thing is, it doesn't have to be like that. It can really be as simple as it seems.

There's plenty of time to reach the bit where you can stand safe in the knowledge that it must be Hexagenia Whateveris because they have only have two tails and so your patterns have three tails so you cut one off to match. But you don't have to.

My answer for people is often, "brown size 14 fly." Gooberosity becomes me.

BTW, Osprey, "smoke something" is sage advice. Cigarette, pipe, whatever. Gives you time to watch things happen, clear your mind, and prevents you from dropping your pipe in the water while you're trying to tie things on.
You need to get some sleep bro. lol

Back