Where on the Susqy?

S

Sylvaneous

So how is the Susquehanna bass fishing been, or what condition is it in between the West Branch and the Juniata? I fished it 1/2-assed quickly in Milton about 3 years ago and landed 1. I poked around the next day further down and got nothing. I am interested in fishing it in this section, along Rt. 15/11 or whatever. I wanted to fish around 1/2 falls but I was cramped for time and didn't have time to explore like I wanted to. How is it now-a-days? I suppose the late 90's to early 2000's are far enough back now that I am no longer spoiled. I can easily be convinced to tie on something besides a slider or a buzz-bait. I have decent to good smallmouth fishing here in N.W. PA It's quite a haul out to the main stem of the Susq, so it would have to be pretty good to uproot me from here for at least 1 night of hotel stay.

syl

I'm not sure if it's worth the trip when the Allegheny River is in your back yard.

With that said...you'll get different opinions on that section of the Susky these days. My view is that it certainly does not fish as well as it did in the 1990s. This is particularly true if you're coming in summertime and enjoy catching numbers of bass. If you're after big fish and willing to fish in spring and fall, it can treat you very well. However, fishing during those months (esp the pre-spawn) requires you to be familiar with particular spots where fish are gathered.

Overall, there does seem to be some optimism in the Susky bass community lately and anecdotal reports from last year suggested that fishing was pretty good (at least by current standards). PFBC population surveys also supported a somewhat brighter picture as can be seen in several threads here on PAFF.

OK, thanks. It's such a drive.... I've heard the Kiski river N.E. of Pittsburgh has really come back and is fishing well. That may be my river to try. No need for a hotel room. But I miss the environment of the Ridge & Valley region. just something about it. Very fishy.

syl

Back