When Politics Do Not & Should Not Matter and Keep Politics Out of the Discussion...

Can anyone remember what other presidents fly fished? Thinking possibly Teddy Roosevelt? I do recall a publicity shot of Bush sr. standing in the surf holding a spinning reel upside down.
I suspect being an avid outdoorsman that TR engaged in FF. It is quite possible an individual in PA could have fished the same creeks he did or caught the same strain of brook trout that he caught. I once talked to an angler who said he fished a creek in PA that TR also fished. This is in the governor Mifflin area. I can't say for sure what TR did or didn't do as I am not a historian, just my own speculations.

My friend has a letter that was typed by TR and sent to one of his family members (long before the friend was alive). The letter was in response to the family member inquiring about joining the Rough Riders. TR gave a polite response thanking the family member for inquiring but told him that additional RR members were not needed at the time.

Last edited:
I know President George H. W. Bush fished for stripers in Maine and tarpon in Islamorada. I think he held a "President's Cup" all-tackle tournament in Islamorada. I know he caught at least one tarpon on fly. I believe John Donnell was his guide, but I think he also fished with Carl Ball. He fished, and was good friends, with Andy Mill. President Bush also wrote the forward for Mill's book "A Passion for Tarpon".

Don't quote me< I believe Eisenhower favorite fly was the House and Lots?
Looks good to me. GG

Can anyone remember what other presidents fly fished? Thinking possibly Teddy Roosevelt? I do recall a publicity shot of Bush sr. standing in the surf holding a spinning reel upside down.

I just pulled out my copy of “Fishing For Fun and To Wash Your Soul” written by Herbert Hoover and published in 1963. There is some interesting information in this book about fishing Presidents.

I just hope the mere mention of any of these former U.S. President in a non-political context doesn’t upset and stir the ire of some folks on this board... :rolleyes:

Hoover wrote, “I am told that McKinley, Taft, Wilson & Harding all undertook fishing in a tentative way.”
He further went on to say, “President Coolidge apparently had not fished before election. Being a fundamentalist, he began his fish career for common trout with worms. Ten million fly fishermen at once evidenced disturbed minds. Then Mr. Coolidge took to a fly. He gave the Secret Service guards great excitement in dodging his backcast and rescuing his flies from trees.”
“President Franklin Roosevelt caught many common fish from the military base of a battleship. President Truman prior to his 1948 election appeared once in a photograph somewhere in a boat gingerly holding a common fish in his arms. An unkind reported wrote that someone else had caught it.”
He went on to say (in 1963) that only he, President Theodore Roosevelt and President Grover Cleveland were lifelong fly fisherman before they went to the White House.​

Last edited:
What is a common fish? Is it a particular species or a generic name?

Without knowing for sure and assuming a lot...

In the UK and other European countries there are "game fish" and "coarse fish" so I have to assume common as in "common fish" would be anything other than what we consider game fish in the US.

Carter was a great man. I have plenty of political disagreements, the main one being the decision to not reprocess spent fuel. But I recognize him as a good intentioned, great man overall.

Regarding fishing presidents. Vice president. But, Dick Cheney is an avid fly fisherman and was during his time in office as well.

Who has caught and told whoppers in the same day.

DO NOT reply to my post. Please keep the thread going as it relates about fly fishing. This goes for everyone. Don't make me moderating this any more than I have. You know the rules and it won't be fun if I have to go to the next level.

The president's salmon immediately came to mind seeing this thread.

I just pulled out my copy of “Fishing For Fun and To Wash Your Soul” written by Herbert Hoover and published in 1963. There is some interesting information in this book about fishing Presidents.

I just hope the mere mention of any of these former U.S. President in a non-political context doesn’t upset and stir the ire of some folks on this board... :rolleyes:

Hoover wrote, “I am told that McKinley, Taft, Wilson & Harding all undertook fishing in a tentative way.”
He further went on to say, “President Coolidge apparently had not fished before election. Being a fundamentalist, he began his fish career for common trout with worms. Ten million fly fishermen at once evidenced disturbed minds. Then Mr. Coolidge took to a fly. He gave the Secret Service guards great excitement in dodging his backcast and rescuing his flies from trees.”
“President Franklin Roosevelt caught many common fish from the military base of a battleship. President Truman prior to his 1948 election appeared once in a photograph somewhere in a boat gingerly holding a common fish in his arms. An unkind reported wrote that someone else had caught it.”
He went on to say (in 1963) that only he, President Theodore Roosevelt and President Grover Cleveland were lifelong fly fisherman before they went to the White House.​
As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed Hoover, The Fishing President. I remembered one part about him fishing in Lycoming County and a picture of him standing in a creek, I think Lycoming. There was a camp he visited there, I think more than once. My book is at school so I will need to look it up tomorrow. But meanwhile I found a pretty cool blog with the picture from the creek.

Edit: It is Larry's Creek.

Last edited:
I suspect being an avid outdoorsman that TR engaged in FF. It is quite possible an individual in PA could have fished the same creeks he did or caught the same strain of brook trout that he caught.
I remember reading that his name was in the guest book of the Henryville House. I'm reasonably sure he fished the Broadhead.

Last edited:
th
?

Back