When Politics Do Not & Should Not Matter and Keep Politics Out of the Discussion...

I've only had the good fortune to shake then hand of one former president. When I was a young intern on Capitol Hill, President Carter testified on peacekeeping matters in the Balkans and I sat in a surprisingly empty committee chamber right behind him. After the hearing, as he stood up to leave, I shyly said "Hello, Mr. President" and he extended his hand. He was as warm and friendly in person as your image of him is. Whatever our politics, he is a great American, and a model for us all to follow. I hope he catches a special hatch on his first beat in the great waters up above.

• I've often heard the story of a PGC deputy warden who was patrolling the Brady road in the mountains south of Spruce creek. He stopped to investigate a couple of suspicious looking chevy suburbans. Turns out they were secret service agents and President Carter was "a half mile or so" back in the woods hunting turkeys.
Reactions:JeffP and foxfire
Prev

B
BoldItalicMore options…
ListMore options…
Insert linkInsert imageSmiliesMore options…
UndoMore options…
Preview

Font sizeText colorFont familyStrike-throughUnderlineInline codeInline spoiler
Alignment
  • Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text
Paragraph format
QuoteMediaInsert tableInsert horizontal lineSpoilerCode
RedoToggle BB codeRemove formattingDrafts

My wife was an ER nurse in Chambersburg. She says President Carter fished Falling Spring many times. The Secret Service would come to the hospital and check out the facility prior to his coming to fish.

After Mr Carter lost in 1980, but before his term was up, my dad sent him a few dozen flies to use in his retirement. A few weeks later, a very nice letter of thanks on White House stationery arrived in the mail. My dad kept the note in his copy of Ray Bergman’s Trout. It’s now in a room with my fishing tackle, guitars and accumulations.

Without a doubt, one of the most decent, moral and patriotic men to be president. A public servant in every sense of the term.

Thanks Bam for a very timely post. President Carter is a true humanitarian. He was huge detriment to the economy during his era, but I feel he had a very big heart for the American people. I would have loved to have the chance to fly fish with him back in the day and I hope God places his blessings upon him for eternity. God bless.

Carter came to visit TMI after the accident in March 1979.
His book " An Hour Before Daylight" (think I have it right?) is a good read. He is a quality individual.

Carter came to visit TMI after the accident in March 1979.
His book " An Hour Before Daylight" (think I have it right?) is a good read. He is a quality individual.
His military service included involvement in the early days of the Naval Nuclear Power Program. I remember discussing it when I was in the program in the 80s.

Read the section about the "1952 NRX incident". A little tidbit about Mr. Carter when he was U.S. Navy officer.

Thanks for posting, Bamboozle and GeneBeam. Young Jimmy had a great career prior to government ! Just saw that same story about how he was involved early in the nuclear submarine program and was directly involved in the meltdown issue on a Canadian reactor as a young officer.

It may have been on Rachel Maddow, who is also a fly fisher...

Last edited:
A friend of mine just sent me this photo of President Carter, Rosalynn Carter and Vince Marinaro from the book: “Split & Glued by Vincent C. Marinaro,” written by Bill Harms and Tom Whittle.

The Carters had a long friendship with Vince:

IMG 0933 750x1024

Carter also signed the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (SMCRA).

I spent some time doing service immersion trips to Kentucky and West Virginia with college students. At a place called the Cranks Creek Survival Center in Cranks Creek, KY, the organizers had a picture of themselves with Jimmy on the wall. The whole town was flooded and destroyed because of mining practices in the region (i.e. blowing the tops off mountains). Apparently, he recognized the work they were doing to rebuild and support the displaced folks (the place was still a mess in the early oughts, mind you) and invited them to the District for a visit.

Maybe Carter is even a small part of the reason Hardman Fishing Adventures is catching so many big brookies on film down there ;)

Can anyone remember what other presidents fly fished? Thinking possibly Teddy Roosevelt? I do recall a publicity shot of Bush sr. standing in the surf holding a spinning reel upside down.

Can anyone remember what other presidents fly fished? Thinking possibly Teddy Roosevelt? I do recall a publicity shot of Bush sr. standing in the surf holding a spinning reel upside down.
Hoover. I really enjoyed Hoover, The Fishing President. Although, I know TR fished, I am not sure about fly fishing. He didn't really like fishing very much. On his famous trip to Yellowstone, many in his group fished while he counted Elk and killed and stuffed a mouse. I think maybe Eisenhower. He fished up in Rangely. Coolidge fished in the Black Hills.

In addition to Pres Carter's Pa visits he was instrumental in helping to establish the Catskill Fly Fishing Musem in Roscoe Ny with his support giving freely his time and money.
Also, I believe this is 3 pages of appropriate respect and homage to a fellow fly fisher that has given much to a sport that he loved.

He was also the Rock N Roll President. Check this out if you have not had the chance.

Back