When did you stop caring about catching big fish?

I will never tire of catching big fish, but there are limits to how I will pursue them. If it’s too artificial, it’s not exciting to me, thus, for example, despite fishing the Tully in the statewide reg water below the Keystone Select DH water (and it is ideal water for that program), so far I have not found a reason to move upstream. It now seems that it might be almost “fishing rodeo-like” to me, although I am tempted to give it a shot at night fishing, which has its own challenges.

I will never stop caring about catching big fish. Doesn’t mean I put specific effort into catching them but if I‘m fishing a stream that holds big fish I sure hope to catch one.

I never was a big fish chaser. Sure, when I land a pig from a limestoner or something, it makes my day. Big is relative to the stream, but I rather catch a big fish than a small fish, all things being equal.

Fish size just isn't real high on the priority list, that's all. It never was. I chase a lot of 6" fish, lol.

I'll fish big water, tiny water, and everything in between. Freestoner, limestoner, tailwater, whatever. Variety is a good thing. Like dryflyguy, there's a season for each type of experience.

But 1 thing is common. If possible. I wanna cover water. And I want to be away from roads a bit. Even bigger water you can do that in places. There's a TON of small streams that let you do that, but you ca find it on big ones too. Like, say, Penns, I will strongly prefer up or down from Poe to the Coburn stretch. Why? Because below Coburn there's a road that parallels the stream. No thanks. Penns is nice because you can fish a couple of miles of water without crossing roads. There's other big water you can do that. I recently kayaked the Schuylkill for smallies through a fairly long roadless stretch. But other than maybe the evening rise, I prefer not to grow roots, and cover a couple of miles pretty quick. The scenery must change fairly quickly and I don't want it to include cars and buildings if possible.

I also do not like hitting the same water too often. As a rule of thumb I try not to hit the same stream more than once in a year, and I make a point to get some "never fished" streams in the mix each year. Even say, at the jam, if I have a long weekend and end up back on the same stream 2 nights in a row, I'll try to hit a different section of that stream. I'm an explorer I guess.

Last edited:
I went through a phase a few years ago where I spent more time targeting big fish, but it was short-lived. Some mid/upper 20's wild browns, 48" muskies, 36-40 pike, and some other misc monstrous fish tickled the itch.

Now it's almost exclusively brookie fishing for me. Every time I'm deep in the backcountry exploring brook trout streams, it reminds me that it's what I enjoy most.

I always have and always will enjoy hooking and landing a big fish - especially on a dry fly. I don't enjoy it any more or any less than doing the same with a 6-inch wild brown. Since my boys started fishing, my care has been reserved for getting them onto fish - and getting them back to the car safely.

I am actually opposed to catching big fish, they scare me. I don't need all that hassle of applying significant leverage to horse the fish around nor do I like to put fish on the reel. I'd rather just easily handline a fish in or better yet, flip it in when I have minimal line out.

I prefer to catch the little brookies on small creeks as I love the their colors and the fact they are wild or native fish. I also like the scenery that brook trout inhabit.

I am actually opposed to catching big fish, they scare me. I don't need all that hassle of applying significant leverage to horse the fish around nor do I like to put fish on the reel. I'd rather just easily handline a fish in or better yet, flip it in when I have minimal line out.

I prefer to catch the little brookies on small creeks as I love the their colors and the fact they are wild or native fish. I also like the scenery that brook trout inhabit.
"Opposed" to catching big fish? There's no better way to learn how strong your knots are. Also, big fish force us (me anyway) to tie better knots through repeated break-offs. :) Without big fish, we never get to bend a rod into the butt section unless we snag the bottom, an unreachable tree branch, the odd errant bird...

"Opposed" to catching big fish? There's no better way to learn how strong your knots are. Also, big fish force us (me anyway) to tie better knots through repeated break-offs. :) Without big fish, we never get to bend a rod into the butt section unless we snag the bottom, an unreachable tree branch, the odd errant bird...
Stressing your knot after tying it works wonders. ;)

The opposed to catching big fish bit was actually a joke.

I have nothing against big fish nor am I saying they aren't worth going after (of course they are worth going after!). Everyone has their preference and mine is the little brookies. For me the aesthetic value of the fish I am catching outweighs the size of the fish. I would rather catch a fish species that was here before even the Native Americans populated the land, that's history. Nothing against the other species, catch/pursue what you like.

Funny enough I am going steelheading in November, so my fear of catching larger fish may be put to rest if I can hook one.

A steelhead fight is fun for about 5 seconds. That first run is something, especially if its a fresh fish. You know they're big and strong but the speed surprises ya. zzzzzzzz. Holy &*@#. Whoa. He's in control, not me.....

And, if new, you'll probably snap one or two off during that run (don't clamp down on the line!!!!). But once you survive the first run and they settle a little, they're just big bulldogs with nowhere to go. A stalemate for a bit and then it turns in your favor, a few attempted runs as you get em close, and that's it. The whole time it's just like, comon, get in already, I got more to cast to here.

If you hook a big fish the anxiety of losing it far outweighs the satisfaction of actually landing it every time.

I believe it's all about your surroundings, the beauty of where you are. The fish, no matter the size are the icing on the cake!
Yes, but I've had friends who've been to Alaska who tell the same story about the bear and the fish and for good or bad judgment, the bear takes a backseat to what is going on at the end of the rod.

I remember the day I caught a 6" wild tiger better than a big fat 5.5-pound bow that was the most stocked-looking thing I've seen, if the fish is significant for the water, I'll take it. Little brookies are more fun to catch than a ton of the average-size stocked trout, any wild is cooler to me than a stocker. Bass, on the other hand, give me a big one, and I'll be happy.

I remember the day I caught a 6" wild tiger better than a big fat 5.5-pound bow that was the most stocked-looking thing I've seen, if the fish is significant for the water, I'll take it. Little brookies are more fun to catch than a ton of the average-size stocked trout, any wild is cooler to me than a stocker. Bass, on the other hand, give me a big one, and I'll be happy.
My sentiments precisely.

To paraphrase Sir Mix A Lot, I like big fish and I cannot lie, and you other brothers can’t deny: when a beast swims up to an itty bitty fly, you get sprung.

If you hook a big fish the anxiety of losing it far outweighs the satisfaction of actually landing it every time.

To paraphrase Sir Mix A Lot, I like big fish and I cannot lie, and you other brothers can’t deny: when a beast swims up to an itty bitty fly, you get sprung.
If I eat red beans and rice will I catch big booty fish?

I‘m happy to catch any fish, but I also have not caught enough fish to not care about catching big fish.

Back