When did you stop caring about catching big fish?

I like to catch fish regardless of size but they have to be “stream worthy”. For instance, in a native stream I’m fine with 3”- 6” fish. But if I catch only 3”- 6” in the Little J over the course of a day, I would be disappointed.

Although catching large fish is nice, I get impatient fighting a 20” fish on a 5wt rod since it’s easy exhaust them. Now, jack up that rod to 8wt or 9wt and you can land even large Great Lakes fish pretty easily.

I’m not generally a big fish chaser.

I set out with hopes and expectations of big fish. I fish, catch what I catch and that's life. If I catch nothing but 5" fish for the day, I'd be disappointed. I'm also fishing waters that hold big fish. Nobody has ever caught six 18" fish, a 19" fish and two 20" fish then left the river pissed. 😁.

*Correction, moon has 🤣

Who doesn't like to catch big fish...???

I can honestly say, from time I started Fly Fishing , abt 15 yrs ago, my singular priority was to develop my skills and confidence.

Getting positive feedback with fish to hand was/is important. I never felt I had much control of size...

tho last 2-3 years throwing some Sex Dungeons to the bank will likely generate reaction strike from a hefty Alpha defending his turf....

As confessed fan of the bluegill,
for me, more about the fight of the dog, rather than the size.

I like to fish, catching all sizes is okay with me. I do love to look for bigger trout on Delaware rivers. Head hunting and using dry flies. But it can be a long tiring day. But I also enjoy small rookies on mountain streams. Even a big numbers day on a stock stream is fun. Love it all!

For me it's about figuring out the bugs the fish are eating and getting them to eat, large or small. The little brookies I have fished for will eat darn near anything and don't seem to be much of a challenge, although I do enjoy the scenery they generally live in.

It's a good point about expecting fish to be "stream appropriate". On small mountain streams, you don't generally expect lunkers. But yeah. If you're upon the Delaware or Penns or the Little J and all you catch are 5-6" dinks, that just doesn't seem to hold up.

I love catching wild trout of any size. My desire to catch really big fish on the fly has been fulfilled by chasing carp on the fly over the past 10 years. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!

I care to fish at risers. Size is a bonus.

That would depend on who you ask. After about 40 years of catching small wild fish, it hasn't worn off for me.
Pretty much the same here.
Plus I figured out early on I suck at catching big fish. 😃

Last edited:
The novelty of catching small wild fish wears off too. You just don't know it when it hasn't already happened.

Like a lot of other aspects of life, variety and balance are important.
I agree with this. I love fishing remote brook trout steams for small fish. I also enjoy larger streams and larger fish. Over the years it seems that the most important part for me is the beauty of the surroundings. When I was younger I would fish a sewer pipe if I thought it may have a trout in it. Now, not so much.

The biggest wild trout that I ever caught was a cutthroat on the Frying Pan River. The guide was basically unimpressed since he had seen so many other trout much larger. He thought it weighed about 4 lbs.

It was a pretty big deal for me.

I caught a few Jack Salmon(immature King Salmon) in Alaska on the Akwe River. We were so close to the ocean that I could hear waves crashing on the beach behind the sand dunes. These were slightly larger, but very wild fish right in the river from the ocean.

This was the only time I have ever had a fish burn off enough line for me to see the backing in my fly reel.

I was fishing with a 5 wt. rod/reel.

I have caught a lot more much smaller fish than I have larger ones. On canoe trips, I primarily fish with a 5' ultralight spinning rod spooled with 4 wt. line. I admire and respect that tiny smallmouth bass that will hit a 3" silver/black Rapala.

The novelty of catching small wild fish like this never gets old for me. I'll take trout like these every day, and be very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPEG
    IMG_0038.JPEG
    260.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2193.JPEG
    IMG_2193.JPEG
    179 KB · Views: 13
I like to catch fish regardless of size but they have to be “stream worthy”. For instance, in a native stream I’m fine with 3”- 6” fish. But if I catch only 3”- 6” in the Little J over the course of a day, I would be disappointed.

Although catching large fish is nice, I get impatient fighting a 20” fish on a 5wt rod since it’s easy exhaust them. Now, jack up that rod to 8wt or 9wt and you can land even large Great Lakes fish pretty easily.

I’m not generally a big fish chaser.
Pm
I care to fish at risers. Size is a bonus.

Never get tired of catching large fish.
That's the ones you still remember years later.

My progression in FF went like so:
At first, I didn't really care what I caught. If they were rising, I was happy. Small stocked fish were fine.
Then I moved on, and started fishing more for wild fish in the limestone streams.

Finally, I started looking more for large wild fish.
This usually means fishing large tailwaters.
And started to zero in on them

All that said, at certain times I still enjoy catching smaller fish.
Spring creek has a great BWO hatch in march, for mostly smaller fish.
But you're not gonna find many other places with risers at that time of year

I enjoy fishing brookie streams, but usually in summer - when all of the large waters have slowed down.
Everything has a season for me.
And I adjust where I fish accordingly

Back