When did you stop caring about catching big fish?

Acristickid

Acristickid

I’d say about 4-5 years ago.

Probably pursuing natives in PA and elsewhere has greatly contributed to this mindset.

Thought I’ve been able to immerse myself in the whole experience- the travels, the rigging, the beauty of the surroundings, the catching but to me now it’s even more so of the all encompassing aspects.

Caught my share of large fish and would prefer to catch large fish but don’t get all fussy about it.

Don’t really streamer fish much anymore. My circulation has really gone south and once my hands get wet at 50 degrees or less my hands are frozen- so steelhead fishing has much less appeal and I only go maybe once or twice a year.

I have been fishing for 30 years, and fly fishing for trout for 12. I have never gone through these stages where one prefers a certain size fish. I have always loved the variety of what is available to us in PA.

I will say I don't get too excited about catching stocked trout. That took about 2 or 3 years of really getting into flyfishing for trout to get to that point. I go to stocked streams like the loyalhanna occasionally because that is what is closest to me but I would rather catch 5 inch wild brookies than a 18 inch dull, blurred colored rainbow with shoulder pads.

I still like good sized fish and am more likely to fish larger streams. I gave up lunker hunting 20 years ago or so because it is a specialized pursuit that is more work to me than the satisfaction of getting a really large fish provides. That doesn't say I wouldn't put on a streamer when I spot a large fish chasing minnows or chuck mouse patterns at night once in a while, but I don't care to focus on large fish. On the other hand, I don't fish the trickles for little wild fish either. I like to hit wild brookie streams for old times sake or to quickly check out how some streams are doing, but I prefer to have a shot at a decent sized trout in the 12" to 18" range that provide a challenge.

Heard a good quote on the Millhouse podcast, "To achieve mastery is to rise above the need to catch fish"

I enjoy fishing bluegills or stripers and anything in between equally. I like the experience of fishing and being outside.

If I had the chance to fish for large trout in a heavily fished area to climbing a mountain to catch some wild fish in an isolated area I would choose the latter. I fish mostly smaller waters and 50% of the time by myself. That being said, I'm really looking forward to a Yellowstone trip with my son next August to fish the hopper hatch. Adding my son to the trip is the cherry on top of the sundae.

I'd take a 20" brown over a 10" brookie any day but that is only assuming the setting (landscape) is equally beautiful where both fish were caught. Scenery is more important to me than size of fish.

I went from catching small fish (trout) pretty much all my life to now catching Muskie. There’s plenty of small ones in between the large ones.

At least ten years ago, I guess. By a very conservative estimate, I've caught over 10,000 trout in life. I lived on a steelhead stream for a few years back in 80's, and I've caught enough of brown, resident rainbows and cutthroats over 20 inches that I got over the big fish fever long ago.

Nowadays, I enjoy the act of fishing more than I do catching fish.

I never started to care about targeting large fish in particular, at least trout (I do try to target big Smallies).
At first, my fly fishing ambitions were to get the mechanics down and figure out how to catch fish. Generally started on stocked waters. Then I got into exploring wild trout waters (of all sizes). Now, I just have my favorite streams. They're streams, in general, which have native brookies, wild browns, and the opportunity to catch some serious lunkers is always there. And if I get into some big fish, I'm very excited!
But targeting them specifically has never been a concern.

I like what JSky wrote in post #3. Though I generally do not fish specifically for big trout, I do like to fish where there is always a chance of hooking onto one. Though I love brook trout and their beauty, I like to fish for them where the fish I land are generally at least 8 - 9 inches long. Though the places where 3 - 6" brookies are often gorgeous, I don't get a lot of pleasure out of landing a bunch of these little guys (one small, isolated run excepted for old time's sake).

But, so far, JSky made the best response, IMO.

I care more about catching big fish than catching numbers. When I was younger I just wanted to keep catching fish. 1 good fish now can make the outing worth it for me! Also what I consider big depends on the body of water. I've been on native streams where a 10 or 12 inch fish is a monster. You catch a 12" native or wild out of a stream you can step across thats considered a true monster! Not every biggin has to be a 20"+ fish!

I've been mixing in outings targeting big fish with outings that have the sole purpose of catching a wild trout in a new, obscure stream. Often those new stream adventures result in one or two dinks but adding a new stream to my list is satisfying. There have been a few cases where I cross a new stream off with one or two nice 14-16" fish, that's the best of both worlds IMO. After I've burned through a bunch of first visits to new spots I'll return to the ones with the best big fish potential.

Satisfaction of exploring gets me out to new places, but it's the chance at a big fish that makes me go back.

I always aspire to catch a big trout, but since I mostly chase native brookies, I don't expect too much size wise. Knowing that a given stream at least holds some bigger fish is enough to keep me coming back. To me, just the beautifully vivid colors on wild trout trumps size.

I've been mixing in outings targeting big fish with outings that have the sole purpose of catching a wild trout in a new, obscure stream. Often those new stream adventures result in one or two dinks but adding a new stream to my list is satisfying. There have been a few cases where I cross a new stream off with one or two nice 14-16" fish, that's the best of both worlds IMO. After I've burned through a bunch of first visits to new spots I'll return to the ones with the best big fish potential.

Satisfaction of exploring gets me out to new places, but it's the chance at a big fish that makes me go back.

I agree with much of this! I get bored of the same creeks and do explore. Something I also find satisfying is figuring out one of those new creeks, and catching a big one there is a good way to demonstrate to myself that I cracked some code, especially if I have duplicated that success a few times.

I also like to catch large trout from really pressured streams and places generally deemed difficult. Once I cracked the code or had some breakthrough, I am less passionate about going back. The common thread with a lot of the posts so far is the idea of continued growth and learning. You can do that and still celebrate catching a stud....

I went and winched out a dozen nice perch this morning and just finished cleaning them. I don't know where this fits into the hierarchy under discussion, but that's what I did..:)

Unless he's planning on dying young, he'll change his tune when the novelty has worn off.

The novelty of catching small wild fish wears off too. You just don't know it when it hasn't already happened.

Like a lot of other aspects of life, variety and balance are important.

Back