What's your favorite Panfish fly?

delta_dog

delta_dog

What's your go to panfish fly? It doesn't matter if it's for Crappie,Bluegill or Perch. I've tied hundreds of different patterns but some produce better than others. So what's yours.

These are my go to poppers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3
These are my go to streamers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 6
These are my go to nymphs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 4

Over bedded bluegills: McGinty Wooly Worm on a 1XL #10. Short red tag/tail, twisted yellow/black chenille, palmered brown hen hackle. Just flip it out and raise the rod so the fly is just making a wake towards you.

They're fairly durable and even if they were not, they're so simple you can tie 30 of the things an hour anyway.

Later in the summer, when the bigger gills go a little deeper, I like a weighted nutria (or any darker brown) nymph tied sloppy (no wing case, no legs, just a tapered glob of fur over some 015. wire). 1XL or 2XL #8-12. I try and get it down 5-6 feet along the edges of the wed beds and brush piles. I just let it sink and then do a slow lift. I fancy they take it for a dragonfly nymph, but not being a bluegill, what do I know? It seems to work though..

For 'gills and other sunfish: smaller hoppers, foam beatles, spiders, and EHC on top. Underneath, green weenies and any buggy nymphs. Sometimes small streamers too, especially for green sunfish and warmouths.

For crappie, size 12 or 10 white beadhead buggers with a little bit of flash is all I seem to really use. Once in a while I'll throw some other small streamers or nymphs.

Foam spiders, size 8-12

Rubber-legged BH Hare's Ear nymph, size 10-16

Micro Clousers, size 8-12

Wooly Worms, size 8-14

Foam Hoppers, size 8-12

I generally fish dry flies for blue gills, sometimes I add a soft hackle dropper. I do well with Adams wulff, parachute Adams, EHC, ant patters, rubber leg spiders and small hopper or cricket patterns. I've gotten a few gills striping damselfly nymphs too. The small panfish poppers have never produced well for me.

Bead head wholly worm.

Depends on the water. In still water, poppers seem to be great, but in moving water I like a nymph suspended under a deer hair caddis .... they seem to hit the upper @30% & lower @70%.

Often times I get doubles ...... at which time the fish on the upper gets off.

I have to pick some of those up, Got a NJ license this year since my youngest can do some pond fishing with me. I usually only stream fish in PA and my oldest is now to busy to come out fishing with me with sports.

Back