Whats this rod worth?

very nice rod. knock a zero off the first post price and you are in the ball park.

worth something of course,but not worth so much that it can't be fished.probably worth about the same as a brand new orvis clearwater,cabelas l-tech,or TFO lefty,which are pretty nice rods.

shakey wrote:
.probably worth about the same as a brand new orvis clearwater,cabelas l-tech,or TFO lefty,which are pretty nice rods.

Except that in 10 years this rod will still be worth at least that much. Lol!

exactly.being a spinfly,it probably won't go up in value. in ten years it will be still fishable.whereas ,in ten years a bamboo leonord will be worth a lot!

of course,for the sake of the owner,i hope i am wrong and it is worth a bazillion dollars!

That looks like a Phillipson made fiberglass rod. The tip off is the brass ring on the female ferrules. It is worth $200 more or less. Phillipsons are one of the more sought after glass rods and yours appears to be in excellent condition. Some days the private label collectors can bid something like that up - other days they wouldn't.

Dude...just use it haha! I remember reading an interview with Johnny Cash, and he said nothing got to him more than musicians who would baby their guitars. He said they're instruments, not infants. They're meant to be handled and played! Apply that to fly rods, dawg.

shakey wrote:
exactly.being a spinfly,it probably won't go up in value. in ten years it will be still fishable.whereas ,in ten years a bamboo leonord will be worth a lot!

shakey calls it.

as to value, it has potentially more if its a rare leonard and the Japanese decide its collector worthy, other than that it'll never have teh same cachet as if it was done by Hiram, Payne or one of the other rodmakers.

you should try fishing it, it might actually be terrible because it is a spin/fly, after all, which are generally compromised designs.

at that point then you might as well stick it back in the closet and hope on the far east fetishizing it, or tearing it down for the raw Phillipson blank which would, frankly, be a terrible thing to do.

Grandpa’s fly rod……..priceless!!
Good Luck fishing it!!
Sean

Took the 1970 fenwick out on the pond in the kayak a few years ago. Guess you can't go home again. After 30 years of graphite the glass was lmip as a noodle and heavy as a telepole. It's back in the rafters with the memory of the first trout I caught on a fly. personally, I baby my guitars. I had it up to Martin years ago and they had Waylon Jennings' red white and blue D-28 leaning against the wall with a ole kicked in it.

Sentimental value SHOULD be priceless.
Market value is around $30.

jdaddy wrote:
Sentimental value SHOULD be priceless.
Market value is around $30.

Market price based on what?

Back