What's the best way to get started fly tying?

S

skeeter bite

This year 2023 is my first year fly fishing for trout. I thought I'd simply buy the files to get started and I did that but now I'm thinking I might want to tie my own this coming winter. What's the best way to begin? Are there kits available containing good tools and supplies or is it better to piece together everything I need? Any beginner fly tying books you'd recommend? There is a local group in my town of experienced fly fisherman who get together one evening a week all winter to tie flies and I'm pretty sure I can get an invite to join them but I hesitate because I don't want to take away from their enjoyment by pestering with questions all evening each week.

Anyone who goes to these events to tie flies wants to teach you their skills and techniques. Don't ever be shy about asking too many questions. That is how you learn. Well that and tying poorly and making mistakes for a while. Everyone starts with very basic flies like Wooly Buggers, Clousers, basic nymphs, elk hair caddis, etc. You can buy a starter vise, tools and basic supplies at Cabelas/Bass Pro and build from there. You will not be an expert overnight, but that is part of the fun. Read books and magazine articles, watch YouTube videos and ask questions as much as you can. Ask people to critique your flies and learn what you can do better. Take the constructive criticism and learn from that.

Last edited:
I’ll second what @CLSports said. However… 😊

IMG 3301

If you know the gentlemen in your town, talk to them about your interest in learning to tie. Most experienced fly tiers are happy to pass on their knowledge. Just a few beginner tips such as simply how to apply the thread to the hook, learning a simple half hitch knot, tying in materials as tails and dubbing are invaluable. I attempted to tie flies on my own but it was very frustrating. I was fortunate over thirty years ago to have fly shops in the Pittsburgh area that had fly tying lessons. I learned from a master tier. Just after a couple lessons, most of the issues I was having trouble with were cleared up. I’m sure there are some beginner lessons on the internet. I think it’s better if you see someone doing it rather than reading it from a book. Just starting out you will need a vice( you can get one that will suffice for just starting for thirty bucks if that) a thread bobbin, a bodkin/ half hitch tool, sharp scissors, bobbin threader and hackle pliers. And head cement. Excuse me if I forgot anything. It depends on how much you have to spend or want to spend. If you can afford to buy a kit with materials that’s fine. Once you get the basics down, you can tie most flies from a recipe. Keep it simple to start with and practice, practice, practice. You don’t have to tie museum quality flies to catch fish. It will cost a few bucks starting out. As you progress, you can upgrade to a quality vice. Now, I mostly spend money on hooks, thread and tungsten beads. I’d be glad to answer any questions you have.

I've been tying 2 years or so, and watching a lot of tying videos on YouTube has helped me learn so much about both fly tying and general entomology / what fish are eating. I don't even mean watching the videos and tying along. I watch tons of videos for patterns I never intend to tie just to see techniques and get insight into how/why the pattern has developed. I'm not much of a television watcher, so some nights I'll just crack a beer and watch some tying videos. Maybe not the most exciting nightlife, but it's productive.

This is something I would strongly recommend to a beginner that doesn't even want to tie; it's just an important way to learn so much more about what you're actually doing on the water that doesn't really come through picking a fly out of a case.

Also, I regularly go to a fly tying social in my area during the winter months. There is always a mix of amazing experienced tyers and beginners who are there just to learn from everyone else and maybe tying for the first time. In my experience, at least, it's nowhere near so serious that you would be a bother by asking questions. I imagine anyone taking their tying that serious wouldn't do it at a casual social event like that.

Oh, some good starting places on YouTube are Tightline Productions, Charlie Craven, Fly Fish Food, and Savage Flies. They all tend to post pretty regularly, so you can get in a good groove of new, informative videos to keep up with.

A very good started book is Basic Fly Tying by Rounds. It is easy to read with plenty of pictures and so on. You can get a used one on Ebay for less then $10.00. Try to keep it simple and do not get tied up in all the excitment of buying a ton of expensive mateial. You are learing to tie so very simple nymph paterns and buggers are great starting points. You Tube can help but can also be very confusing. Most guys are showing a certain patern and the materials can add up to $$$$. Eventualy you will understand what flys you want to tie and can purchase specific materials that may make your wallet a little thin.

I've been tying 2 years or so, and watching a lot of tying videos on YouTube has helped me learn so much about both fly tying and general entomology / what fish are eating. I don't even mean watching the videos and tying along. I watch tons of videos for patterns I never intend to tie just to see techniques and get insight into how/why the pattern has developed. I'm not much of a television watcher, so some nights I'll just crack a beer and watch some tying videos. Maybe not the most exciting nightlife, but it's productive.

This is something I would strongly recommend to a beginner that doesn't even want to tie; it's just an important way to learn so much more about what you're actually doing on the water that doesn't really come through picking a fly out of a case.

Also, I regularly go to a fly tying social in my area during the winter months. There is always a mix of amazing experienced tyers and beginners who are there just to learn from everyone else and maybe tying for the first time. In my experience, at least, it's nowhere near so serious that you would be a bother by asking questions. I imagine anyone taking their tying that serious wouldn't do it at a casual social event like that.
Would have loved to have youtube when I started. It was a total guessing game. I had the fly pages from the cabelas, llbean and the flyshop catalogs taped to the wall above my desk. That was my reference.

Would have loved to have youtube when I started. It was a total guessing game. I had the fly pages from the cabelas, llbean and the flyshop catalogs taped to the wall above my desk. That was my reference.
i agree. i cant remember how youtube was when i started tying. but if i started tying now in 2023 i would have unlimited videos of every fly ever tyed by multiple different channels. youtube really is a great tool to learn just about anything nowadays. i can learn how to tie a PT and then one click away i can learn how to replace my boiler lol.

i cant remember how youtube was when i started tying.
:ROFLMAO: YouTube? No YouTube. There was no internet. No cell phones. and because of that you spent all your daylight finding and figuring out streams and all your nights trying to figure out how to secure these and in what order to a hook instead of looking up someone else's homework. TBH I once rented a VHS tape that showed how to tie an elk hair, a bugger, an adams and a hare's ear. That was a big deal.

I agree about the kit. I know there are a lot of people who poo poo on kits but I feel that perspective is from someone who has already gone though the process and not remembering what it was like know little or nothing. Kits that will teach those 4 patterns do exist without breaking the bank. They are a good idea. IMO

one thing I would like to stress is how simple fly tying is. It is not difficult to tie fishing flies and it does not take a mentor, a TU membership or a week wages to get started as the tools needed are so basic and really don’t do much. Inexpensive tools is all that is NEEDED. If later on you decide you like fly tying you can spend all your money on things you WANT. One thing is for sure, an inexpensive vise produces the same fly as an expensive vise just don’t buy a knock off vise. Stick with a named brand like Regal, Renzetti, or Griffin to name just a few. They all make a beginners vise that will hold a hook. A cheap ceramic bobbin, a cheap whip finisher and cheap hackle pliers and you’re ready to go.

I’m one to poo poo tying kits becuses the kits generally contain a knock off vise. Material kits are even worse. Pick a fly you want to tie and buy the material needed for that fly. Then pick another fly and buy the material for that fly. Soon your material will build and you will find that most materials can be used for many different flys. If you learn to tie one nymph you will find that most nymphs are tied the same way just different materials. Same with dry flys. Tie one and the rest are tied in a similar manner.

Any local tying group would love to have you come out and participate and learn. thanks to youtube there are no mysteries, surprises or secrets surrounding tying flies. The hardest part is getting started so just jump in. It’s really that easy and you will be tying usable flies in an hour and quality flies in a matter of days. In a few weeks you will be wondering why you waited so long to start.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: YouTube? No YouTube. There was no internet. No cell phones. and because of that you spent all your daylight finding and figuring out streams and all your nights trying to figure out how to secure these and in what order to a hook instead of looking up someone else's homework. TBH I once rented a VHS tape that showed how to tie an elk hair, a bugger, an adams and a hare's ear. That was a big deal.

I agree about the kit. I know there are a lot of people who poo poo on kits but I feel that perspective is from someone who has already gone though the process and not remembering what it was like know little or nothing. Kits that will teach those 4 patterns do exist without breaking the bank. They are a good idea. IMO
your probably right. i learned how to fly cast with a VHS tape. be kind please rewind lol

1-lessons.jpg

When I started tying over 2 years ago it was with a kit. Yes,I ordered a better vise and bobbins within a month but I still use the bodkin and whip finisher.
YouTube is a great tool for beginners but rather than watching how to tie such and such patterns ,time might be better spent watching videos explaining materials. Understanding thread size ,hackle,biots, tailing,flash,dubbing,etc. will shorten the learning curve.
Don't hesitate to tell them fellas in your town that you're interested in learning to tie. Most experienced tyers enjoy getting beginners started.

Yes... (Starter) Kits and (the) YouTube. Kelly Gallup has several videos, but some are pretty advanced.

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice on this. I guess I'll just jump into the fly tying hobby this winter and see where it takes me.

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice on this. I guess I'll just jump into the fly tying hobby this winter and see where it takes me.
One more, if I may. Don't get pulled in by any hype for gotta-have-it gadgets related to flyfishing or flytying. i.e., stomach-pumps (trout torture devices) and fly testers (C'mon! $150+ for a Lucite tank and water pump?!) You can buy a very good high-end vise and premium materials... if you build your tool inventory wisely.
There are a lot of do/don't recommendations in the Gear Talk forum history.

All good ad-vise I think ;). I'll just add that I didn't realize what a difference a decent vise would make until I got one. It's just like with anything (musical instruments come to mind) - beginner gear often makes things more difficult than they actually need to be. Not saying you need to drop two bills on a vise out the gate, but I still wouldn't cheap out on the initial purchase of a vise. Once I stopped wrestling with my POS hook holder and got a Renzetti Traveler my flies immediately got better and I had waaaaay more fun tying them.

The Holsinger's Fly Shop website shows how to tie hundreds of different fly patterns, step by step.

A local teenager learned to tie by using the site, and his flies are already tied better than mine are.

Back