What's going on with the Pohopoco?

Rainier42

Rainier42

In the past I've had lots of good luck FFing at the Pohopoco. Last year it was not unusual for me to catch 10-14 Rainbows and Browns in a day. Was actually my go-to creek. This year this creek seems to be way off ... water is down and there seem to be few trout.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on with the Pohopoco?

Not sure of Poho, but I fish NEPA freestoners a lot. In the low water, fish seem to be doing the opposite move they usually do this time of year. They have two choices: Move into riffles for oxygen and more food like usual, or slide back into the holes and the heads of deep runs for safety and ride this low water out. With riffles so low (I have caught so many fish with love taps from birds this year!) I think safety is winning this spring. Potentially bad for YOY too because all the year classes mingle in the same spots. Change where you fish to your winter spots, only closer to the bouncier heads. Fish may be there.

Was up on the Pohopoco yesterday from 1130-3 and landed 8 fish. Lost a few more. There were bugs hatching all day. The bite got better as the sun got overhead. Took all but one on nymphs.

Landed what looked like a wild brook trout. I know they stock brook trout here but this guy looked wild to my inexperienced eyes. He took the only dry of the day.

The riffles and seams were where most of the actions was.

I wouldn’t worry about low flow impacts on YOY. Such flows create ideal habitat for YOY trout and much reduced habitat for mid to larger size trout. Plus, the mid to larger size trout become easy pickings for avian predators when those sizes of fish are jammed into remaining, relatively shallow pools.

Mike wrote:
I wouldn’t worry about low flow impacts on YOY. Such flows create ideal habitat for YOY trout and much reduced habitat for mid to larger size trout. Plus, the mid to larger size trout become easy pickings for avian predators when those sizes of fish are jammed into remaining, relatively shallow pools.

Interesting, Mike, as always! That makes logical sense too. Always wondered about predation when they have to cohabitate so much, but it sounds like it's the larger fish most at risk hanging around with the smalls....

Back