What's everyone's favorite 4 wt?

A Sage RPL 8 1/2' two piece. It's my favorite rod that I own.

I have 3 Winstons, two of which are 4wt. The BIIIX is the best but no longer made. The Air is Nice but not great. The Pure is excellent but a 5wt.
I will say there are many rods out there that will do the job. Nice casting rods are everywhere right now. Most of the better rod manufacturers will have a rod to accommodate your needs. I prefer something moderate in speed and true to the line wt. Many rods are a half weight heavy and are too fast for my liking.

I tried the Pure in a 4wt, 8 ft. I have to say I was not impressed. I have an older BIIX in a 9 ft -4 wt and it is a much better rod. The Pure really runs out of steam at any distance at all. No real reserve power like the BIIX. The Pure is rated highly in online reviews but it sure was disappointing to me. I am hopefully going to have my BIIX repaired. I sent it to Winston.

Scott GS904. I am looking to get a Taylor Anomoly Z in 4wt as the Anomoly Z I have in 6wt is outstanding.

I'm fortunate enough to own a RK Bolt 71/2 4wt bamboo. I hear music when I cast with it.

I like a 7'9" and a 8'3" 4wt

Joe E

Can't go wrong w/ Allen...

I own an 8 ft 4 wt & an 8-1/2 ft 5 wt.

I fish the 4 most often. I find that rod sufficient for 90 % of the streams I fish.

I have an old Orvis HLS - 8' 6" 4 weight - that has really served me well over the years.
Closest thing I have to an all around rod I guess.
I could use it on the Yough and Delaware rivers.
But have also used it on water that can almost be jumped over.

It came in really handy early this summer, when I was fishing cicadas on small streams.
Didn't want to use my usual small stream rods, because I needed something with some backbone to punch out the large imitations

7' Wonderod #1245 Panfish Special

I have four that I really like, you would not go wrong with any of them.
Orvis Superfine Glass 764 7.5 ft. 3 piece
Epic 476 7.5ft. 3 or 4 piece
Steffen 8ft. 4/5 weight
Diamondback Diamondglass 804, 8ft. original black blank, if you could find one used.

Wow Tigereye, I finally know someone who owns a 480 RP! It is one helluva rod, and I will never sell mine.

Another vote for the Winston TMF 8’ 4wt. I have one of the early IM6 versions and for the life of me I cannot understand why Winston no longer uses this material in their rods. I regret selling a 9’ 6wt. IM6 many years ago. It would have made a great wet fly rod.

9' 4wt Reddington Torrent.

Fished it for years. Real fast, good for small-medium streamers. Usually over lined by one or two. Have caught some big trout on it!

Bopper wrote:
9' 4wt Reddington Torrent.

Fished it for years. Real fast, good for small-medium streamers. Usually over lined by one or two...

That would make it a 5 or 6wt, not a 4wt. ;-)

Beasley 6'3" Midge.
A slightly sped up version of the PHY Midge.

Back