What's everyone's favorite 4 wt?

larkmark

larkmark

Recently broke the rod I really liked. On the market for a new one. Mostly fishing dry flies but often at a good distance. Would just like to hear what others are using whether nymphing or dry fly fishing.

I like the 490 Sage Trout LL for dries at distance. The original graphite II LL is a great 4wt if you can find one.

I have an old Sage XP that has been fished so hard over so many years that it has "softened up" to the point that it's almost like an old LL series. Prob my all time favorite dry fly rig.

My favorite 4 weight is a 5 weight because that's the lightest rod I own. I know I'm in an ever shrinking minority, though...

I'm not quite as drastic as RLeep2, but my favorite fly rod for modest sized streams is a 7-foot, 5-weight Orvis Rocky Mt. fly rod. It is probably more than 25 years old, and I will eventually break it, I'm sure. I don't know where or how I'll replace it. When I look at tackle catalogues, etc., I do not see any such rods.

I once had a 5-wt, 8.5-foot Sage XP, but a guy wanted it for his father, so I parted with it. I should have kept it. It was the best dry fly rod I ever had. I replaced it with another Sage, but it isn't as nice to cast.

So, Lark, I'd suggest an 8.5" or 9" 5-wt if you're going to fish relatively larger streams. If money is no object, you might like a Sage. But, I know guys who swear by St. Croix rods.

Good luck.

rrt-I believe I had one of those Orvis Rocky Mt. rods yrs back. It had a bit slower action which I enjoyed. They were not their top of the line but I think it was the same blanks as the more expensive ones.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Rich... I have the same rod or fundamentally the same anyway. It's the Orvis Premium 7' 5wgt Small Stream Special. Same blank, I'm pretty sure. Just some hardware differences and a snazzier rod case. It is supposed to be in pretty high demand, although I've never priced used ones. All I know is that for the way I fish, it is the perfect rod for streams under about 20' wide or so.

I have no problems with 4 wgts. though. Last year, I bought the smallest Lamson Liquid in a three pack and put a DT4 on one of the spare spools. Now, I'm waiting to see if just having it around might make a new 4 wgt. rod just sort of show up in my basement. So far, no luck. I may have to buy one..;)

Winston makes some really good 8' 4 wt rods.
The TMF on the lighter side of 4wt and if you can find an old IM6 or WT they are really good.

Ditto on the TMF, quite possibly the best 8'0" 4wt rod I own in any material.

Other worthy Winston candidates IF you could find any are the 8'0", 8'6" and 9'0" 4wt DL4's.

The 8'0" DL4 is ALMOST like a 4pc TMF and the other two are extraordinary rods.

I fished a Scott G series, 8'8" 4wt last year......seemed like a great dry fly rod.

Winston is my favorite rodmaker. I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Pure rods in 4 wt.?

I have never casted a Scott but would like to try one.

For what it is worth, I have more fly rods than I will probably ever fish with since I inherited all of my father's and grandfather's fly rods.

Two of them that I have never fished with and I am probably sure have long since been discontinued are an Orvis TP3 864 mid flex and a Sage GFL 486 LL.

Both are 4 weights and two piece. I am sure that they are both probably still fine fly rods. I just haven't fished with them yet since I am pretty content with my 9' 5 wt. fly rods on the bigger water where I fly fish.

Sage TXL 7' 4 weight and my Sage SLT 8 1/2' 4 weight.

Lark, I got off topic with 5-wts. My favorite 4-wt is an old 6'6'' Orvis Rocky Mt. that I use on small creeks and brooks. But, you're looking for a rod for larger creeks, so a 6/6 4-wt wouldn't be what you want.

I think the other guys are giving you better advice than I could.

CT, do yourself a favor and fish that 486 LL. Is it graphite II or III?

7'9 3pc kenney.

The top on the rod case reads that it is a Graphite III.

Canoetripper wrote:
The top on the rod case reads that it is a Graphite III.

Those were the later ones. There seems to be more of them around, at least from my own anecdotal evidence. They were a tad slower than the graphite II's, and a great dry fly rod.

Winston WT 8" 6" , It is a very good rod for casting 12>smaller flies, not a good for steamer or indicator fishing.
Nice blank color and very nice reel hardware. It is not as desirable as TMF 8" but it is better on the bigger(wider) streams casing dies and dri droppers. The better looking Winston's are the early IM6's with a down locker Nickle sliver reel seat.

I have not cast the air or newer Winston's but don't count them out go to a fly shop or loaner program and try them out.

Back