What Weight Rod would you reccommend

Buy a 4 weight 9' rod unless you're only fishing lakes, then a 5 or 6 weight in a 9'-10' foot. For stream fishing unless you're looking at steelhead or salmon a 4 weight is all that you need. We've caught 21" fatties on 9' 3 weights. A short rod won't distribute the load like a 9'. I know you have a 4 weight already but trust me and don't get stuck on the rod weight except about how heavy it is to carry. 9' rods are easier to cast as well even in tight areas despite what people think. There are some inexpensive nice rods out there. It will be a rod you can use anywhere and when you want to buy something new again, which you will, it won't go to waste. Don't spend a ton but do but yourself something new for Vaca! I caught more than one 7lb bass on my rod. If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd send the picture.

Have fun shopping!!

Which Ausable? NY or Michigan? I'll assume its the NY one, and I have fished it. Its pretty much hot and heavy pocket water and big boulders. Fish around and behind the boulders, lots of weight, make sure your getting it deep. As difficult of wading as it gets, big and fast with big and slippery rocks. Its not for the faint of heart. Water is tea colored, surprises you at first. There's also a few long, slow, flatwater pools, I prefer the heavy stuff though. Liked the stretch behind the Hungry Trout (owned by TCO). Park at the bridge downstream and fish up the opposite side.

A 6 wt is probably ideal for the pocket water, a 4 wt for the slow pools. But a 5 wt will do both just fine, and give you an all round more useful tool when you get back home.

Regarding length, unless there are overhead branch problems, there's no reason to want to stay short. A 9 foot rod is ideal for the Ausable, and most of PA's medium to large streams. Longer rods increase your casting distance, help keep line off the water to reduce drag, put you in better connection to nymphs, and keep the backcast higher to avoid ground vegetation. They're simply better fishing tools. The only advantage of shorter rods is they're easier to carry and cast when overhead branches or brush come into play. If the stream is large enough to open up the canopy, there's no reason to go shorter than 9 ft. The Ausable most certainly is a stream where a long rod will be an advantage.

There's a reason a 9 ft 5 wt is the most popular rod in the state, probably the country.

I use a 7.5 foot 4 weight for smaller streams and recently purchased a 9 foot 6wt. If I were you I would check out Coltonfly.com, very high quality rods for the price, the reels as well, everything is guaranteed for life. Both of my rod and reel setups came from them. I spoke with the owner at length before purchasing from them and was not disappointed, check it out if you get time. The slipstream series is the one you want to look at. The reels they make are dynamite as well, the drags are so smooth its amazing, that drag helped me land a nice fish just yesterday that I probably would have broken off otherwise

Hope that helps

I use a 7.5 foot 4 weight for smaller streams and recently purchased a 9 foot 6wt. If I were you I would check out Coltonfly.net, very high quality rods for the price, the reels as well, everything is guaranteed for life. Both of my rod and reel setups came from them. I spoke with the owner at length before purchasing from them and was not disappointed, check it out if you get time. The slipstream series is the one you want to look at. The reels they make are dynamite as well, the drags are so smooth its amazing, that drag helped me land a nice fish just yesterday that I probably would have broken off otherwise

Hope that helps

On bigger water or faster water where you likely will want to mend, I go with the 9' regardless of line weight. Tougher and less efficient to mend the line with a shorter rod. Doesn't matter if you are throwing dries or nymphs or streamers. For smaller waters I go shorter every time.

Back