What type reel

Baron

Baron

Curiosity:
who uses Clicker, Drag type, multiplier reels.

I am intrigued with som of the old multipliers.

Baron,

I sent a pm to you.

Kirk

I like click paw reels on short to medium sized rods for small to mid size stream trout fishing.
Nothing beats a CFO IMO.

When targeting larger trout, big rivers or warmwater fish, i currently use a long fly rod with a orvis access mid arbor V. Holds enough backing of spey fishing and adds the weight i need. Sealed drag good for light salt work too.
Awesome reel.

I use multipliers sometimes for fresh water river and lake fishing. Love a vintage Lamiglas with a multiplier.
Too much gearing for salt.

Baron wrote:
Curiosity:

Is the question: Who uses click & pawl multipliers or or other drag type multipliers?

Or is the questions: Who uses clickers; or other drag types and/or multipliers?

If it is a reel preference question, a lot of info was given here.

If it is a multiplier question, you may want to clarify.

As for me, I don't own a multiplier as I never saw a need.

Sal that CFO looks like a sorted out Battenkill. Beautiful

Bam! I'm busted. I really had two reasons for asking that question kind of funny-like:

1) My grammar really is that bad and my typing is even worse
2) I wanted to determine if its only old farts that use clickers anymore
3) I'm hoping there will be a Multiplier affishinado that pipes up and learns me bout'em.

I just received my first Medalist Reel (1495 Diamolite, Akron) and they are pretty impressive. I didn't realize that they'd be that heavy. Also, for display, I picked up a Pfluger 1774.....cute.

Bamboozle wrote:
Baron wrote:
Curiosity:

Is the question: Who uses click & pawl multipliers or or other drag type multipliers?

Or is the questions: Who uses clickers; or other drag types and/or multipliers?

If it is a reel preference question, a lot of info was given here.

If it is a multiplier question, you may want to clarify.

As for me, I don't own a multiplier as I never saw a need.

Baron wrote:

I'm hoping there will be a Multiplier affishinado that pipes up and learns me bout'em.

I know nothing at all about multipliers and I would be surprised if anyone on here does either. Bamboozle is probably in the top 1% as a FFing gear and tackle wizard and he can't even help you.

I find it interesting you always seem to gravitate towards the outliers with respect gear, tackle, fishing methods, flies, etc. :)

You’re correct. It’s “run home to mama”. It easy for me relate to more mechanization as I’ve only been Ffing for a year. I sometimes think that more mechanical stuff is a plus. Oh well someone has to like that stuff.

afishinado wrote:
Baron wrote:

I'm hoping there will be a Multiplier affishinado that pipes up and learns me bout'em.

I know nothing at all about multipliers and I would be surprised if anyone on here does either. Bamboozle is probably in the top 1% as a FFing gear and tackle wizard and he can't even help you.

I find it interesting you always seem to gravitate towards the outliers with respect gear, tackle, fishing methods, flies, etc. :)

Baron,

I sent a pm to you regarding 2 different multipliers that I own. One I use, the other I do not use.

outsider wrote:
Baron,

I sent a pm to you regarding 2 different multipliers that I own. One I use, the other I do not use.

outsider,
Did you get my PM's? I doesn't seem that they left my box and I'm confused by that. Let me know.

I just remembered: the one I never used I gave to Jack Mickievicz about a year ago. He put it in a display case in his shop, so you can see it there. It is a die cast Cortland, made in England. A friend gave it to me many decades ago. He used it 2 times, and I understand why he gave it away. It had many faults. In my opinion, a piece of crap.

The other one is an Orvis Magnalite Multiplier, also made in England. I bought it from a friend perhaps in the late 70's at a good price. $25 I think. It has a pretty large capacity and I use it for bass fishing. It is a quality reel, and definitely has a cool factor.

Yo Baro

I have several multipliers, but have rarely used them, especially around these parts. I got them before the advent of large arbor reels because I was interested in fast line pickup on big water and when canoeing for bass/sunnies. Since I mostly use very light tippets these days (7 and 8X) the multipliers don't get much water time.

lestrout wrote:
Yo Baro

I have several multipliers, but have rarely used them, especially around these parts. I got them before the advent of large arbor reels because I was interested in fast line pickup on big water and when canoeing for bass/sunnies. Since I mostly use very light tippets these days (7 and 8X) the multipliers don't get much water time.

Les
Is that because of the momentum of retrieval or is the reel just too heavy for you lighter rod?

Today I fished with the "new to me Medalist 1495. I loved it. good retrieval rate and quiet.

After a thorough dis-assembly, cleaning and lube it is almost like new. I never realized that these reels are almost clickers and almost drag reels. They're stuck in the middle and I really admire them.

Attachments

• IMG_7271.jpeg
    IMG_7271.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 2
That is a nice example of a Medalist reel.

It’s becoming my favorite.

Multipliers are heavier and bring in line quicker. I use a cfo multiplier on a 10 '7wt because it balances the longer rod better than a normal cfo and I like that it picks up the line faster because I use that rig for steelhead a lot.

moon1284 wrote:
Multipliers are heavier and bring in line quicker. I use a cfo multiplier on a 10 '7wt because it balances the longer rod better than a normal cfo and I like that it picks up the line faster because I use that rig for steelhead a lot.

Wow Moon,
That must be a nice reel. I'm gonna look that up. I just acquired a Giant Finalist fly reel. 4" by 1 1/2" weighs allot and it would be nice for salmon and steelhead I guess. It was in with some other stuff I bought and I'm glad to have it.

Yo Baro

The reason I don't use multipliers with super light tippets is I prefer reels then with very low startup inertia in case a good fish surprises me by taking and then making a fast run.

Les I see what you mean though I'm usually using very heavy tippet in weeds.......up to 25LB.
You're probably after trout an are using 5 or 6x where the margin of error is slight.
lestrout wrote:
Yo Baro

The reason I don't use multipliers with super light tippets is I prefer reels then with very low startup inertia in case a good fish surprises me by taking and then making a fast run.

Back