What to do?

I think every county has a property search repository...

You would be surprised which ones don't, like for example Delaware County, PA or which ones have clunky searching methods that make it a challenge to find parcel info.

In regards to the law and holier than thou types who feel their perceived rights are more important than courtesy...

The more folks just take things for granted, the more signs and purple paint you'll be seeing going forward...

Last edited:
I don't know how some of you dont have a heart attack over being wound so tight.

It's really this simple....post your property if you don't want people on it.

There isn't even anything else to say about it.

In regards to the law and holier than thou types who feel their perceived rights are more important than courtesy...

The more folks just take things for granted, the more signs and purple paint you'll be seeing going forward...
I find this topic very interesting and actually quite puzzling. I grew up in Southwest PA and now live in Northcentral PA. From the time I started hunting in Washington and Greene counties to today as I fish throughout Clearfield, Jefferson, Elk & Cambria counties and beyond it has always been a given that if the land is not posted you can access it. If it's posted you need to ask permission. I have never met a landowner who ever said otherwise. Maybe things have changed, and I have no experience in more suburban areas or anywhere in the Eastern part of the state; however it has never been part of my experience in rural PA to have to ask for permission to access unposted land or for a landowner to expect it.

I find this topic very interesting and actually quite puzzling. I grew up in Southwest PA and now live in Northcentral PA. From the time I started hunting in Washington and Greene counties to today as I fish throughout Clearfield, Jefferson, Elk & Cambria counties and beyond it has always been a given that if the land is not posted you can access it. If it's posted you need to ask permission. I have never met a landowner who ever said otherwise. Maybe things have changed, and I have no experience in more suburban areas or anywhere in the Eastern part of the state; however it has never been part of my experience in rural PA to have to ask for permission to access unposted land or for a landowner to expect it.
Born, raised and still live in the North Central part of the state and was taught at a very young age that it was never acceptable to enter someone property, posted or otherwise, without first having permission.

I own 11 acres is it reasonable for me to have kids whos parents buy them 4 wheelers and motor bikes but dont own the land for them to ride on. My propety gets torn up and they have been told does no good with kids now days and yes it is painted.

It’s ALWAYS a good practice to ask permission first when entering private property. It’s really that simple.

I own 11 acres is it reasonable for me to have kids whos parents buy them 4 wheelers and motor bikes but dont own the land for them to ride on. My propety gets torn up and they have been told does no good with kids now days and yes it is painted.
Do you know who they are and how they access your land?

No. That’s miserable. Your property is posted you said. Next time you catch them, politely explain that your property is posted, and what that means, and that they are not welcome there to ride their ATV’s. Explain that this is their “get out of jail free card” and if you catch them again you’ll call the police and ask for trespassing charges. Give them your phone number, to give to their parents, and if they have any questions to call you. If the parents do, be polite, and explain the above and that you could have already called the authorities, but chose not to, and to handle it this way instead.

And if you find them again, call the authorities. You will have been more than reasonable IMO. And the fact that you chose to try to handle it without involving the police will only make them seem even less reasonable if they show up again and you have to call the police.

Another post got me thinking about a location I fish and wondering if I should be.

A few years ago I found a section of a class A that runs through land that is not posted with signs or purple blaze. There are no homes, farms, or businesses for over a mile in every direction. There's no sign of activity and besides the occasional car on the road I've never seen another person.

The land is not marked as state, county or township land on any map I can find and does not appear green on Google maps.

I made a half hearted attempt to figure out who owns it by emailing the township it's located in but never got a reply.

It's a beautiful spot with plenty of fish, I fish it 4 or 5 times a year.

Should I stop, am I trespassing, am I being unethical somehow??

Not looking for legal advice just opinions.
just use the onX app on your phone & you can find out who owns the land.

If it is not posted and no fence I fish or hunt. I am following the law. If I am told to leave I leave. I keep it simple just like I have since about 1970 when I started venturing out fishing as a boy. You know, back when there was no phones and GPS and all that. I crossed the farmers unposted farm with my shotgun and I waved to him. He smiled and waved back. The good old days.

That really sucks! It's that kind of activity that angers property owners, and gives them very good reason to post their property.

If you give me the address I will figure out who owns it for you .. :)

For the record I went to Bear Creek in Schuylkill county to fish yesterday.

DHALO signs along with No Trespassing signs all over the place. There was an occasional no trespassing but fishing permitted sign but since the no trespassing signs were newer than the ones that said fishing permitted I went to the Tulpehocken.

DHALO signs along with No Trespassing signs all over the place. There was an occasional no trespassing but fishing permitted sign but since the no trespassing signs were newer than the ones that said fishing permitted I went to the Tulpehocken.

You should reach out to Regional Law Enforcement for that region for clarification because it is supposed to be stocked tomorrow.

It may just be that the landowner bought new signs...

Since the OP figured out it's owned by a bank and it's not posted, I'd fish it. You're very unlikely to run in to anyone that has any emotional attachment to the land, unless it's haunted by the former owner.

Landowners should read and understand Pennsylvania Recreational Use of Land and Water Act and the liability protections afforded to the landowner by the act. Landowners who allow access to their land are generally afforded liability protection by state law. Posting property offers no such protection.

Posting on both sides of the creek or just one side? Was the location at the official lower end of the DH Area and extending upstream for some distance?

I agree that the best approach is to ask PFBC Law Enforcement via the SE regional office for an update or clarification.

Landowners should read and understand Pennsylvania Recreational Use of Land and Water Act and the liability protections afforded to the landowner by the act. Landowners who allow access to their land are generally afforded liability protection by state law. Posting property offers no such protection.
Hang on... If a landowner puts up signs to tell others to stay off their property --> a person trespasses (for any reason) and is injured in some way --> The landowner has no liability protection (besides protection that is purchased)?
So... If a landowner only owns property and provides no displays to state "no trespassing" --> a person trespasses (for any reason) and is injured in some way --> The landowner (generally) has liability protection under state law?

Back