What Tippet?

S

Sekora

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I looked a little and couldn't find a thread. What kind of tippet does everyone prefer? I have been fishing grand max for years and had such good results with it I refused to try anything else. This year I decided my spools all needed replaced so I bought 2 of every size I use, one for my vest one for my pack. The stuff I have now is garbage. I've never had tippet break so easily. I finally had enough and quit blaming myself after breaking off 4 or 5 times in one day, the last being a giant rainbow. I bought a spool of Rio in 5X to try out and can't believe the difference. I feel like my rod will snap before this stuff which is how I used to feel with the grand max. Anybody else having problems with the grand max?

for trout, orvis super strong nylon and umpqua nylon

I rarely use flurocarbon line but when i feel the rare need for it (nymphing very low clear water with spooky fish) I typically use a very short piece of Seaguar blue label for point fly and dropper attachment only.

It sounds like you have a bad batch of line, take it back.

I've been using Rio and like it. I used Suppleflex 5X & 6X for dry flies for years, and powerflex 4X for nymphing if necessary.
This year I bought Powerflex Plus, the new stuff. So far so good. No complaints. Its supposed to be about 30% stronger than powerflex.
My main concern was getting a good drift. I thought it may be too stiff. I haven't had that issue and the spools are 50yds instead of the customary 30yds.

I still haven't found anything I like as much as orvis super strong.

I am glad this question came up
I did several searches and could not find good results .

I am going back to umpqua nylon for a try next, but it has been a long time since I last used it,so I don't remember if it is good or not. I just know I used to use it .

For the past few years I have been using a combination of cortland fairplay when I need limp,and bass pro's own white river for stiffer.

Even though I am not a fan of Orvis , I carry their super strong in 6x.

I should mention I only really use 4 and 5x tippet . I go through a lot of it .

Anything bigger than 4x , I just use spinning line that I wind on a used tippet spool.

The 6x I have rarely gets used. Only if I can not get a hit or if I use an uncharacteristicly small fly .i rarely use a fly smaller than a 16.

If I found a tippet I loved,I would invest in a tippet boss and buy in bulk .

Orvis super strong nylon, I bought as much as I could afford when it went on sale before they releases the superstrong plus

For most things, I'm a Rio fan. I use suppleflex as well but powerflex is fine and easier to find.

I am always looking for the most supple materials I can find, as I see drag as the primary thing to overcome. And I don't like using the really fine diameter stuff. I don't go below 6x even for midges.

A copolymer (aka mono, or nylon) is nearly always more supple than fluoro. But in both categories there's a range. Or is superseding, for instance, is rather stiff for a mono. Seagate Grand Max is rather supple for a fluoro. But the Orvis is still more supple.

The trade off is abrasion resistance. Fluoro rules in this regard, but even within a category, it runs counter to suppleness. If you are chasing bigger or toothier prey it matters. And if streamer tossing suppleness doesn't matter as much.

I left the Rio camp when I kept getting defective spools. I now use Trouthunter, and wish I would've made the switch sooner.

I like Rio tippet material. Have used it for years and never had a problem.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I did not get a bad batch as all of the sizes from 3-6x seem to be considerably weaker. I landed lots of steelhead on the old stuff down to 5x now I'm breaking trout off on 4x. I'm going to try the Trouthunter out even though I'm very happy with the way the Rio is performing.

I'm a big fan of the Stroft material. Great deal when bought in 100 meter spools. Best strength to diameter ratio that I have found.
http://www.lostcreekflies.com/item/STROFT-Tippet-Material-24

Like Rio, Orvis came out with there new Super Strong Plus that is 20% stronger than the regular SS. I went through one spool of 5x so far and it has been excellent. For tiny dry flies and small nymphs I use the Rio SuppleFlex, and sometimes Dai Riki Dynamic.
I also carry Varivas Tippet down to 8-9x, I really don't know why cause I hardly ever use them anymore. But it's there for a finicky Trico sipper, or midge binge. (Variva actually makes tippet down to 12x... Imo that's just nuts.

I like RIO for mono/dry flies. For fluoro, I haven't found a favorite yet. I'm way too cheap to pay $15-$20 for a 30m spool. I really liked the old Cortland with the blue label. The 4x would handle steelhead no problem. It's hard to find tho. I found some Frog Hair on eBay for $10. It was ok but I thought it broke off easier than it should. I'm currently using some stuff called Phantom in 6 pound that I picked up at Gander Mountain when I ran out and it's all they had. I'm really impressed with it so far. Almost no memory and excellent strength. I pulled in some trophy sized sticks swinging streamers with it. I'm also trying Seagur Blue Label in 4 pound for the little nymphs/midges and no complaints there either but it does kink a little easier than the phantom.

As of recently ive been fishing the Bass Pro White River tippet. mainly because it is what the sporting goods store on my way up to camp had, but so far no real complaints. I've fished Cortland most of the other brands, each had their pros and cons as far as mono goes. As for fluorocarbon, I really like Seagur GrandMax. That's all I use in New York for Salmon and trout. Its expensive but worth it in my opinion. having said that I have got bad spools of GrandMax, I think you get that with any tippet material though, just really bites when it was a $25 spool lol

SteveG wrote:
I left the Rio camp when I kept getting defective spools. I now use Trouthunter, and wish I would've made the switch sooner.

100% same experience

update: i got the umpqua in 4x&5x.

i'm not really digging it.

i see that stroft comes in half sizes.i wonder if i could just use 4.5x for everything but the smallest flies?

I currently have Rio in multiple sizes, but bought some of this: http://www.froghairfishing.com/lineup/ to give it a try as the company is based in Oil City, PA and I wanted to support a PA fly fishing company. Haven't used up my Rio yet, but am going to give the Frog Hair Flouro a try when I do.

Edit: They have a money back guarantee if you think the leaders or tippet material suck.

I just bought the new Trouthunter and threw away my old and quite out dated Rio. Sunshine and fluorescent lights takes a toll on leader.

I was put off initially by the large mounting hole in the Trouthunter spools. I wont pay $15.00 for a clunky aluminum tippet holder that weighs twice as much as my old one.

I just took some metal washers, placed one inside the bottom of the Trouthunter spool and one inside the top spool, then reassembled the holder just like it had my Rio spools in place. Everything fit nicely, no money spent on a holder. I found the washers in a drawer... The metal washers fit fine, the plastic washers on the very bottom and top of the holder did their job just fine.

I was at a local fly shop, the new kid at the counter was pushing the stuff, and, with a bit of an attitude. That put me off too...

It pays to have a nice shop to buy from, you cant beat the advice and experience that they can offer. So, my future purchases wont be there, I will be spending my money elsewhere.

Rio has been a hit or miss for me. I get spools of Rio fluorocarbon that it seems nothing can break it and then other times their spools of tippet breaks with ease. I just recently made a switch to Orvis Mirage for an honest try.

Ron

Back