What Tippet?

Im liking the Trouthunter. I used it all weekend. Works fine.

SteveG wrote:
I left the Rio camp when I kept getting defective spools. I now use Trouthunter, and wish I would've made the switch sooner.

Yep, good stuff!!!!!!!!!

The Orvis Mirage is working for me. So far so good!

Ron

Here's a scientific approach by Yellowstone Angler at comparing different tippet brands based on various attributes. Doesn't have every brand, or some of the newer offerings, but at least a point of comparison between some of the major brands.

Yellowstone Angler Tippet Shootout

I've been using Rio powerflex for 4 or 5 years and haven't had any problems. The fluoroflex is borderline indestructible, but the $15 per spool keeps me away.

Trouthunter, Scientific angler, Rio, Umpqua. All good, in my opinion, in different "types" I've tried. I find nylon to break a bit easier so I try to fish a size up.

Try stepping up a size, I bet it won't affect your fishing as much as you think, if you're breaking off too much.

Orvis is closing out their old line of leaders and tippets to make way for the new.... good deals to be had, but its going fast.

I'm now in the trouthunter camp as well. I dont have as much trouble with break offs and the knot strength is good. When I get snagged on the bottom and really tug on the line, I can feel the difference. Where other tippets would break off, Trout hunter holds up. I really think it's the knot strength.

I have had Trout Hunter break offs for no apparent reason. The other evening after couple of frustrating break offs, I put on fresh Trout Hunter 6x. Second cast a very nice Brownie comes up, sips my fly and just turns to go back down. Broke off in the middle, not at either knot. No thrashing, no nothing. I don't think he even knew he was hooked at that point.

Not a fan!

Back