What is your go to dry rod?

Acristickid

Acristickid

Is it a fiberglass or bamboo rod?

Is it the same as your nymph rod?

My go to is a Winston LT 5-piece 8'3" 4wt - it has medium action , to me meaning it’s slower than my fast action rods.

Guess I’m starting to think of rising trout.

My go to rod has been broken for the last 2 seasons but I am now motivated to send it back for repairs. I knocked the rod into a branch and graphite exploded inside the 2nd ferrule.

Not really looked at gear for years but I have an interest in fiberglass but I really don’t know much about it. Any thoughts on fiberglass?

Hatches and rises forever!

Depends where and what bugs. Upper delaware I use a 9' 6wt livingston traditional mostly. I used a scott g 906 for a long time before that. For tricos there I usually go down to a Larry kenney 8'8 4wt glass rod. If its windy on the upper delaware I might use an rpl or glx.

Smaller streams I use a 7'9 kenney 4wt glass rod.

For a stream like Penns, i use an 8'4 4,5, or 6 at scott g depending on the wind.

For me I'm more worried about hooking and fighting a fish than casting. I like rods with softer tips because they protect tippet better than a rod with a stiff tip and I don't break off many fish.

Glass rods are fine but I think they are harder to cast especially at a distance. I don't really think they are more accurate than graphite I think the real advantage with a glass rod is during and after you hook a fish.

I think the perfect all around dry fly rod for PA would be an original Scott g 856 (8.5' 6wt). I had two and sold them both but that rod is hard to beat.

Every rod I own throws dry flies just fine, from a diminutive 5"0" Winston Retro glass rod to a bunch of sweet 9'0" graphite rods and a ton of graphite, glass and bamboo in between.

For trout, I chose my rod length & line weight based on the size water I am going to fish, weather, water levels and wind and I might favor bamboo over anything when I can because I like fishing it the most.

Well - all my rods are graphite.

Depending on stream size, I use a 7'9" 5 wgt - 8'6" - 4 wgt, and 9 ' 5 wgt

My favorite - the Orvis 7'9" Far and Fine. Got a a real unique action that's perfect for dry flies

My Winston WT 8’6” 4wt, it is simply a joy to cast. Large waters such as the Allegany below the dam my 9’ 5 wt XP it can get the casts and mending out to the rising Trout.
The Pux Phil did not see his shadow so spring in 6 weeks.

Not sure I could pick one favorite but change my "favorite" based on the size of water and size of bugs.

Smaller water - sage 7'9" in 3 wt
Medium water - st croix legend elite 9' in 4 or 5 wt
Big water - have an old sage rpl+ in 6wt and a sage method in 5 wt

I've fished that 3 weight everywhere and with every possible type of fly. Sentimental favorite from 35 yrs of service.

I seldom fish streams for trout that average over 40-50 feet wide. When I do, I generally use either my St. Croix Imperial or my older Diamondback. Both are 9 foot/5 weights.

My favorite dry fly rod for the places I fish is my 7'9"/5 Far & Fine. I have to say though that a very, very close second is my Bean Pocket Water 7'10"/5 weight. It has been the most pleasant surprise of any rod I've bought in the last 15 years.

Honorable mention goes to my FF605 glass. I have a sentimental attachment to it, but is also a pretty good tool on smaller water.

I fish mostly small streams such as Manada, Clark and the Quittie so I do not need to cast great distances. Given that, my favorite dry rod is one my wife bought me in the mid 80s. It is a Fenwick Iron Feather 7'3" 4 wt. I think this was still made in the US as a friend of mine got the same thing in a 3 wt but his says "Made in Taiwan" on it but mine does not. (If anyone can provide more info I would be delighted to hear.)
Anyway, that rod coupled with a Triangle Taper line is a joy to cast! I am not a particularly good fly caster but with this setup I can effortlessly (and fairly accurately) cast 40 feet if needed and still make short 15 foot casts on little Brookie streams. I would love to find one in an 8-9 foot 4 weight.

8'6" 4wt Sage RPL two piece cause that's what I have.

Depending on the size of the water
7’9” far and fine 5wt
8’9” sage ll 3wt (older model)
10’6” Helios 3

Bamboozle wrote:
Every rod I own throws dry flies just fine, from a diminutive 5"0" Winston Retro glass rod to a bunch of sweet 9'0" graphite rods and a ton of graphite, glass and bamboo in between.

For trout, I chose my rod length & line weight based on the size water I am going to fish, weather, water levels and wind and I might favor bamboo over anything when I can because I like fishing it the most.

What he said, although I'm probably not going to use a graphite rod for dries. The exception might be if I'm travelling by airplane and want a rod that breaks down into four pieces.

My 10 foot 4 weight helios gets a ton of use throwing dries but I use it because it's so versatile. If it was strictly for dries on larger streams it's my zero gravity 9 foot five. On smaller streams it's my 8 1/2 4 weight zero gravity. If you can't tell I love me some orvis rods.

While I’m not one you would ask to recommend a favorite dry fly rod, I feel good knowing a few others stated their Orvis 7’9” far and fine is their favorite sine I too own one. Maybe I need to practice up!

Rivers: Sage VP, 9'5WT. It has plenty of flex to protect light tippets and it casts long leaders (12'+) well up to 50 feet. It would be nice to have a fast action 5 WT to get more casting control at long distances, though.

Streams: Sage LL, 8'1", 5WT. This is nearly a full flex rod with the ability to shoot line with only a small amount of line out of the tip. It is great on tight brookie streams. When I have over 30' of line out it starts to get overpowered.

I have an Orvis Trident 9' 5WT as a backup dry rod. It feels big and clumsy compared to the two Sages.

ryansheehan wrote:
My 10 foot 4 weight helios gets a ton of use throwing dries but I use it because it's so versatile. If it was strictly for dries on larger streams it's my zero gravity 9 foot five. On smaller streams it's my 8 1/2 4 weight zero gravity. If you can't tell I love me some orvis rods.

+1

My 10' 4wt Orvis H2 sees the most duty in larger to medium sized streams fishing dries nymphs and wets.

By far my favorite is the venerable Sage LL 9’ 4wt. About as full flex as graphite gets. It just casts beautifully and accurately- I love it.

Depends on the size of the water and the bugs, but here goes my personal favorites for dry's.

Small streams- Sage TXL 7' 4 weight

Medium streams- Sage SLT 8 1/2' 4 weight

Larger water- Loomis GL3 9' 6 weight / Sage VT2 9' 6 weight

Trico/Midge's- Loomis GLX Streamdance Presentation 8' 2 weight.

Too hard for me to pick just one. If forced to I would pick the Sage SLT 8 1/2' 4 weight as the best all around. Glad I don't have to though.

I seem to always fall back on Sage 590 RP (9ft 5 wt) for just about all of my trout fishing. Great all around rod. Disclaimer -most of my fishing is on larger waters.

Others in the Tool Box are

Sage 480 RP
Sage 390 XP (this isnt a bad EU nymph rod either)
Cabelas CZN 10 ft 4 wt

Tigereye wrote:
I seem to always fall back on Sage 590 RP (9ft 5 wt) for just about all of my trout fishing. Great all around rod. Disclaimer -most of my fishing is on larger waters.

Others in the Tool Box are

Sage 480 RP
Sage 390 XP (this isnt a bad EU nymph rod either)
Cabelas CZN 10 ft 4 wt

^ Looks like you contributed to the Bob Sentiwany retirement fund back in the 80's and early 90's.....lol. Me too.

Yeah Bob got a few bucks--Bob and wife Mary Lou were quite the couple.

Those rods however were built by Mike Leskowski (sp????) of Plains PA. I believe he is in Oil City now.

The XP was purchase from a guy in MN or Wis I believe his name was Cedric Knuckey and went by Interior Alaska Fly rods. Met him at a show once. Beautiful work.

Back