What is your...ALL TIME favorite Chest, Hip, Sling, Vest ?

Cool pack. Even cooler picture.

I just switched from the fishpond sling pack to the new smaller thunderhead lumbar pack. The sling pack was great for space but switching it to the front side to change flies or whatnot was not perfect. And I could never get 100% satisfied with my net positioning. I wanted all my gear quickly accessible right in front of me. I used to use an umpqua lumbar pack but it was not submersible so that often led to problems. I’ve used my new fishpond pack a few hours this weekend and I’m liking the feel so far. Absolutely more efficient re rigging or changing flies. I did order the south fork wading belt so I can have even more options to move the pack and have the built in net holder for simple and quick access to my net. Kind of pricey all together but I’m hoping I use this system for a long time.
IMG 6514

Heres mine. I started out with this system and over the years I tried every other conceivable option out there only to return to my original system. Carrying anything more only leads to more ways to outsmart myself. It could be any shirt as long as it has two pockets for a couple fly boxes. I take the neck cord off the lanyard and hang the band from my wader straps. I’ll only wear the lanyard as an actual lanyard when I don’t have waders on.
IMG 8470

Here’s my FishPond…
I switched from a vest about 5-6 years ago.
I like this one. Just big enough, easy and light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 39
Here’s my FishPond…
I switched from a vest about 5-6 years ago.
I like this one. Just big enough, easy and light.
That's the same one I use. Like you said, it's just big enough. I use it on a fishpond wading belt that allows you to slide the pack to the front when you need it and back when you don't and also has room for a wading belt and net on the other side. Wading belt systems are awesome, nothing beats having your back, neck, chest and shoulders being totally free of gear, especially in warmer weather.

Downstream chestbox. I like it because trays are removable. I got many treys. While fishing, I use 2-3 trays most often.

I'm partial to my basic Simms vest. It holds all my stuff nicely, with enough pockets to make for convenient access. I clip my rod tube to the back ring, and the zippered back storage holds lunch and a light jacket, if needed.
Have the same vest. More than enough space and comfortable for hours.

Fishpond Blue River worn as sling with waist belt attached. Slings right out of way when not in use

1709741413035I love mine.

Know I'm in the minority now.
But I still use a shorty vest.

I want to be able to carry all my "stuff", along with the ability to keep it organized.
Also want the ability to wade deep in large streams without dunking everything.
This minimalist approach that everyone seems to have now, doesn't make much sense to me

My brother-in-law recently retired, and is just getting into fly fishing.
He went to a large Orvis shop in the area to get outfitted.
And they talked him into getting a sling pack.
When I got him out a few times late last year, he was having a difficult time fishing around in that thing for his accessories.
When he saw how easy it was for me to get to my things with a vest, he agreed that a sling is kinda dumb

I prefer something in the general style of a over the shoulder pocketbook that hangs down by the top of my hip opposite the shoulder where the strap is resting…in essence a thick, military grade, canvas shoulder bag with a cover, sometimes water resistant, that flips over the entire top of the bag and secures with a single strap or military clasp. The main compartment has to be zipper-less, as I want easy access and no binding of a plastic zipper and no cross-threading or eventual wearing out of said zipper. Such bags last through about 30 yrs of hard use. The only disadvantage is that it sometimes gets wet on the bottom if I wade a little too deeply. I have usually seen these at Army Navy surplus stores.
@Mike: this surprises me. Don't know you, we never met, and I have only extracted knowledge from your posts here on the forum. Thx for that by the way.

But still, I had you pegged as a wicker creel, collared shirt, and fedora kind of guy. I was 100 percent certain until I read this.

I am very happy with my new Umpqua Chest Pack...however I know there will be days when I want to fish " ultra light".

I went digging thru my collection of 1,957 packs to find my beloved William Joseph Amp ChestPack with the Magnetic Closure.

Originally, I was very hesitant about the "gimmicky" magnet, fearing it might b weak & insecure.

Turns out, I was wrong.

VERY secure.
VERY practical. Simply F'ing GREAT!!

Without question...
My ALL TIME FAVORITE.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Let's hear your candidates, pls.
I really like orvis sling bags

I recently checked out cedar run with very low expectations and was surprised with a very healthy population of wild browns, some exceeding 20inches. I had read and heard that this spring creek was all but a trickle now because of quarry mining operations. I am happy to report it has good flows and healthy aquatic life

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    839.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Back