What is it?

T

Troutmeister

Was fishing the Perkiomen today and caught a bunch of these. I think they are Green Sunfish, but I've never seen them with such vivid orange tipped fins and tail. Are these just males in their spawning colors?

Attachments

• 20230611_100437.jpg
    20230611_100437.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 212
No definitely not.

Same fish without the spawning colors. Sticking with rock bass u less an actual biologist corrects me.
Screenshot 20230611 170638 Chrome

I don't think that first pic is a Rock Bass. Every Rock Bass I've ever seen looked like the 2nd pic you posted. The fish pic I posted does not look like your first pic.

That's what I originally said, Green Sunfish.

Totally missed that. Was concentrating on the pic, sorry. Looks like it. I'd say spawning colors but I don't know anything about them other than we catch a lot just like that at camp and everyone called them rock bass. Green sunny it is.

first pic: blue stripes on head, olive back, body has olive cast grading to tan-orange on the flanks with scattered blue highlights, orange fins, black spot on gill not elongated, no red breast:

pumpkinseed sunfish.

there's a lot of overlap with the green sunfish, but I've never seen one with orange fins, including a dorsal fin with an orange tip.

Some sunfish species are close enough to hybridize, including the pumpkinseed and green sunfish.

69bHyrbridGreenXPumpkinseed19cmHallscompressed1

link for that pic: https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Fishing/Freshwater/Freshwater-Fishes-of-Connecticut/Hybrid-Sunfish

second pic is definitely a rock bass. Red eyes. Smallmouth sometimes have red eyes; rock bass always do. I've never seen another sunfish species with red eyes.

Last edited:
They original photo is definitely a Green Sunfish. They quite often have orange on the tips of their fins and tail. I’m not sure about the coloration due to spawning.

IMG 7946

They original photo is definitely a Green Sunfish. They quite often have orange on the tips of their fins and tail. I’m not sure about the coloration due to spawning.

View attachment 1641230995

+1. The OP is a Green Sunfish. No question.

Tom your second fish is a Rock Bass.
Not sure on the first one, though I don’t think it’s a Rock Bass. Hybrid Sunfish of some kind is my guess, with Green Sunfish being one of the parents, explaining the overall shape and larger mouth size relative to body.

Tom - I think your first fish may be a highly colored Warmouth. Caught in PA?

Warmouth x Green Sunfish hybrid?

Green sunfish are highly invasive, aren't they? But what isn't these days, ya know?

Oh, and Tom Gamber ..... Your chart isn't right. Redear is a shell cracker and not a pumpkinseed.

Was fishing the Perkiomen today and caught a bunch of these. I think they are Green Sunfish, but I've never seen them with such vivid orange tipped fins and tail. Are these just males in their spawning colors?
It’s a warmouth sunfish

Back