What is it?

Definitely a green sunfish, the warmouth isn't native to SE PA.

Green Sunfish 2

Green Sunfish

I've seen some strange hybrids in the Wissahickon. The sunfish tend to spawn in the same places and at the same time. These came out of a quarry. You can see the hint of orange on the fins

not my chart, just something I grabbed off google to help try and solve this.
I know, I know..... Just thought I'd put that out.

With that said, I wish I had some shell crackers near Central PA. They are awesome.

It’s a warmouth sunfish
The op fish is a green sunfish (and the ones in #21 above), which are quite common and cross-breed with other sunfish to produce some interestingly colored, fast growing hybrids at times. Commonly cross with pumpkinseeds and are often found in abundance in poorer quality waters, those with a lot of turbidity, etc. Only one warmouth has been collected by biologists (consulting firm) in the lower Delaware basin over the years.

Last edited:
I know, I know..... Just thought I'd put that out.

With that said, I wish I had some shell crackers near Central PA. They are awesome.
They used to be in Colyer Lake in the 1970’s (red-eared sunfish). They were not shy and were quite nice in size in comparison to the stunted BG’s. They readily hit small Swiss Swings. They were stocked in a few other state lakes as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, was waiting for Mike to chime in.

While we're playing name that tube...what are these slabs in my aunt's pond

Attachments

• 20180624_135903.jpg
    20180624_135903.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180624_135907.jpg
    20180624_135907.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 26
Native species actually...
Native somewhere...... But not the Susky, Juniata, or anywhere else in SEPA. They are definitely an invasive in the Susky watershed..

Red is introduced....orange is native ......
Screenshot 20230612 165136

Thanks, was waiting for Mike to chime in.

While we're playing name that tube...what are these slabs in my aunt's pond

More Green Sunfish. Those are really nice ones.

More Green Sunfish. Those are really nice ones.
Not as big as they used to be. They've done a better job of managing the pond and it has some rather large bass now and the 'gills no longer dominate but are still big as you can see.

Back