What, in your mind, qualifies a fly fisher as a 'flat brimmer'?

"usually pretty good fishermen"...yeah at high sticking with a 10' "nymphing rod". But fear not....there's a new book on streamer tactics coming out, so they'll all be chucking streamers soon.

Actually, I never heard the term "flat brimmer" before this thread. Seems interchangeable with "hipster", and I guess every sport has its hipster strain. They'll grow out of it eventually, or go bankrupt, or worse yet, give up fly fishing.

PocketWater wrote:
I have seen the term 'Flat Brimmer' used on occasion here and was wondering what qualifies a fly fisher as one, in your eyes.

Amish?

I never heard the term before this thread either.

I just googled "flat brimmer" and this thread is up to number 6!

Attachments

• tim_tizzy.jpg
    tim_tizzy.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3
troutbert wrote:
I'm sure today's young flyfishers will also have fun looking at their photos 30 years from now.

yup the hipster oversized beards are going to look like the 80's mullet in a decade or too .

Dude it's not the beard that makes them hipsters. Its the stupid hair cuts they get with the beards.

Wear whatever you want. I prefer flyfishing in the nude... I do wear a wide brim hat, sunscreen, sneakers and my strap vest though. I only go au naturel when I fish on a certain private area I have access to. It's the ultimate in wet wading!

man...

haha. Hipsters with their stupid fake lumberjack hair and their gluten free range organic buttersticks.

Like many styles it started in the hood and once middle aged white guys started wearing it it became not cool in the hood. The Internet has changed things quite a bit since fashion trends flow through society faster than they used to. Things don't seem to go from "in style" to "out" as quickly as they used to and have a long slow death. Also with more social outlets people aren't limited to a certain identity type like if you a "X" (enter Flyfish, skateboard, play football) you're supposed dress and act a certain way. If you lump every flat brimmer into one category your judgement is probably highly inaccurate.

1-I've had a beard since I could grow facial hair with the exception of the summer of 2006 and the summer of 2011. 2-that's an old school trucker hat because they were the style in the late 90s when I was young enough to be a hipster (everyone at Hatebreed and Snapcase shows wore them!) and 3-that's not a butter stick, that's a $30 Eagle Claw which I bought at Wally World a few years before Orvis, Reddington, and whoever else in the mass-rod market was making new glass rods. But the reality is, I'm not a hipster. I just haven't updated my look since the first Weezer album.

And there is at least one person on this forum who has known me since I was 20ish who can verify the validity of those statements ;-)

You can't help it, you're a hipster.

Hey man, if you don't change, eventually you'll be in style again. I knew something was up when a 19yr old chick called me a "hipster" when I was working at the bank last year. Then I read about that thing called "Lumbersexual" on the interwebz earlier this year.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Hey man, if you don't change, eventually you'll be in style again. I knew something was up when a 19yr old chick called me a "hipster" when I was working at the bank last year. Then I read about that thing called "Lumbersexual" on the interwebz earlier this year.

I'm just teasing, I to share a passion for flannel and tasteful facial hair.

gozu wrote:
Along the lines of this.
image_zpsqa19ji7f.jpeg

Have no worry. That is not a hipster. That's the mayor of pokeyville.

Who, what or where is Pokeyville!?

I think I'll listen to that Weezer album on my way to work.

Trust me, Squatch is neither hipster nor Flatbrimmer. He's way too insightful for either.

LOL! It's okay. I honestly don't take any of this stuff seriously. If I'm a hipster now, give it a few months. I won't be a hipster, I'll be terribly out of style 'cause I'll still look the same.

I would hope no one is taking this conversation too seriously!

From the first post I thought this thread was supposed to be all in good fun. Sasquatch is a quality guy; his ironic beard does not confront me in the least. I was once called the Mayor of Idiotsville.

Back