What, in your mind, qualifies a fly fisher as a 'flat brimmer'?

OP asked what a flatbrimmer was. This is my interpretation. I didn't say I had a problem with it. Just giving OP feedback

Me too. I would love to see an angler sporting a boater and wearing a sear-sucker suit cut down to knickers with high waterproof boots.

From several of the posts, it appears that the term "flat brimmer" is used as a pejorative, i.e. a negative term of description.

That's why I asked what's the problem when that website was shown as an example.

I think it's a slow day on the forums when this is a topic really. I don't have an opinion either way. It is sort of like competitive flyfishing. I am not a fan but to each their own.

As long as flatbrimmers respect the resource and other anglers then I really don't have a problem with it.

I created the thread just to see what people had to say about it as I saw the term just today in another thread. I wasn't really sure what people thought being a 'flat brimmer' was, but had an idea that it was more of a 'younger fly fisher' type of thing and it was always used in a negative way when used.

I guess in my mind this was meant as a light hearted thread and in no way was meant to cause debate or anything like that.

PocketWater wrote:
Oh...well....I'm not a flat brimmer then. I take my stickers off and don't wear baggy clothing. I do say dude here and there, but not brah.

GiYdIzP.jpg

Maybe there's a Latin translation for flat brimmer that would be more excepting to the stogy old FF crowd

El plano borde

Being 21, a "flat brimmer" is someone that spends more time picking out that "cool hat" than they do actually fishing....I like a bend in my hat and my rod ;)

I didn't mean to downplay your thread pocket water at all. You were the first person to bring up the term flat brimmer and flyfisher so it's all good.

There is the Mayfly Mafia which I follow on Instagram. They are heavily in to the flat brim hats...but they have some nice female models and some great fishing pics posted daily!http://mayflymafia.com/

This is a good thread. It let's us air out our views about flat brimmed anglers.

Anyone who yells "Sonnnnnnnn!" when that catch a fish is a flat brimmer.

Yo J,

Ease up on Ken Tanaka. I've watched and enjoyed his vids. "beauty brown". LOL. I like the guy and was going to email him to see if he wants to hook up for a float on the D next spring / summer.

Flat brimmer, Pauly D

Surfer, Spicoli

Fisherman, other Spicoli. May wear flat brim. Does use "bro", "epic" and "gnarly". Loves the sport and I'd fish with this dude any day.

Attachments

• xxxxx.jpg
    xxxxx.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1
  • xxxx.jpeg
    xxxx.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1
  • xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 3
  • xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
TB, it's a negative stereotype, but largely in fun.

Personally I think the style and attitude of the described group is funny, but not really damaging in any way, and they're not bad people. I have no hate. Quirkiness among different groups within fly fishing adds to the appeal, even if it's worth poking fun of now and then.

This is the first iimage that comes to mind when mentioning flat brim fisherman

https://www.google.com/search?q=mike+iaconelli&client=ms-android-att-us&hl=en-US&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIo7nFnPyuyAIVxlw-Ch0eOAzF&biw=640&bih=360

I think, that besides the dorky hat, one must wear a buff device covering their face, despite the 12 days of sunshine a year that PA receives.

Patagonia sells a flat brimmed cap for $35.

For several years I wore a cap I found on a fence post.

Different strokes for different folks.

bikerfish wrote:
I think, that besides the dorky hat, one must wear a buff device covering their face, despite the 12 days of sunshine a year that PA receives.

Yeah, that cracks me up seeing people wear these buffs in situations where they are not needed. Flat brimmers try to look pretty on the water.

I pretty much like every fly fisher that is on the water if they respect nature, respect the fish, respect the process, respect their fellow fly fishers and don't make a nuisance of themselves disturbing the tranquility of the setting and such.

Cant we all just agree to make fun of everyone?

Back