What do you eat while your are on the water?

Lestrout, if you still fish the Deshutes, welcome to my state!
And, I agree, I fish the Deshutes many times, each year and how I'd LOVE a hot shower, (or even a cold one, at times), to get rid of that "Oregon Baby Powder"!
However, as you mentioned..........the Bitteroot is not that far from "amenities" and since we also saw these particular rafts, later in the day at a take out point- who needs a shower "mid-day, on a day-only float trip"?
Fishing in Montana as often as I do, I've noticed more and more and MORE "Hollywood" taking over the rivers and streams, not to mention of course, shooting property prices through the roof. Just to "take a break and stretch", Bishop and I this year, called on a few "lots" we saw For Sale signs on, on the Bitteroot, St.Regis and ClarkFork............. 65 X 80 was the cheapest we found, on the St.Regis, set back two lots from the river's edge, for $785,000.00.
When "The Grizzly Hackle", in Missoula, reduced their fly tying materials section, and knocked out a wall to install a "Latt'e and Mocha shop" was about the last straw for us, fishing in Montana, period! I don't plan on "ironing a nice, sharp, crease, in my breathables, just so I fit in, accordingly" to fish over there.
The Lochsa, Kelly Creek, Selway, Clearwater and St.Joe are all closer to me, anyway!
:-D
Now, as to the "hot dog in the thermos" and "PB&J", I agree on both posts, that it sounds like a great idea! Except, knowing me, and the way I pack to go out, I'll no doubt, at least ONCE, put my PB&J into the boiling water of my extra thermos.................

flybinder - I was actually born in the City of Roses, but am a Pennsylvania fly guy through'n thru.

Next week I'll be on the Lochsa, Selway and maybe Clearwater, (Flyanglersonline FishIn) but will stay a few more days to hit the Bitterroot, Clark Fork, Rock Creek and maybe Blackfoot. Those Westslope Cutts are a lot easier than the natives here (or the redsides) but they are gorgeous. It's nice to wind up the season with #8 4XL October Caddis and 5wts/6X after a summer on Trikes on 8X and 1-3wt. Then it's back to #22-32 midges and olives thru the winter on spring creeks.

tl
les

the other foodie MO for me when I spend full days on the water is a BIG breakfast - a rancher's steak'n eggs will keep the energy up. When I'm in the Catskills, a local variation at the Greek's suffices.

tl
les

lestrout wrote:
the other foodie MO for me when I spend full days on the water is a BIG breakfast - a rancher's steak'n eggs will keep the energy up. When I'm in the Catskills, a local variation at the Greek's suffices.

tl
les

Ahhh... another good one...I used to get the best biscuits and gravy on the way out of town at 5am when I lived in Boise. Hard to find cool little diners like that anymore.

I pack the TP in my backpack for just that reason... A good breakfast keeps the energy going, but it can rear its ugly head as the day wears on.

For the pre-fishing meal, I like cheesy ham eggs with hot sauce, personally. That and a strong cup of black coffee. Perhaps that's why I can make it all day on just a sandwich or some sunflower seeds... Big breakfast is key.

Lestrout.........
You really didn't HAVE to ruin my whole day, by reminding me that you're going to be fishing "God's Waters" soon and I can't get away right now!?! (Although, with a little "juggling".........?).
Regardless, I truly wish you the absolute BEST of luck, on your excursion and hope your rod doesn't see rest, until you pack up to head home! "Fall" on these rivers is an unreal time for fly fishing as I'm sure you already know........with the Bluebacks heading up to spawn from the reservoirs and nearby lakes, it's hard to even get a fly down thru, to the Cutts at times.
Just don't forget, (if the timing's right)l, to stop and eat at that little roadside hovel at the confluence of the Selway, Lochsa, that forms the start of the Clearwater fork! I can't remember the name of it, darn it!?!

Took me years to realize a big stack of pancakes was not the ideal fishing breakfast.Couldn't figure out why I was starving by the time I hit the river.Burn those carbs-lol.
A couple of slices of the breakfast breads that are popular down here seem to last longer.
Why stop in Missoula when Townsend is just over the hill[long hill].

Oatmeal (the real stuff, not instant) is great for a "stick to the ribs" breakfast. And it's not fatty, so it won't run through you.

I was lost in the African wilderness for several years fishing for Elephant fish and although i survived the experience weighing a mere 27 pounds i now go forth into the wilderness with several pounds of jerky,ten gallons of water or wiskey ( depending on my mood) two stoves with extra fuel, a ten pack of Bic lighters, and extra snacks like two five pound chocolate bars,ten pounds of raisins, and assorted trail mix bars. All this fits neatly in my Elelphant Fish tote bag that i purchased on line from the Elephant Fishing Store.

yea OK......

I'm sorry i didnt take my meds before posting, i usualy fish and eat later, personal time is almost a dream so, i fish and eat thinking of fishing. Hey!! i might have a cure for what Padriac has, no, not that , i mean his tee-shirt.. Ok Sandfly what is P.C.F.F.P.&DS#3 ??? my hands get tired typing it.

Back