What do you eat while your are on the water?

CaptMatt,

I am one of those immigrants that went to a private school in Florida. Then I moved here to Texas and went to St. Edwards University here in Austin, Graduated with a Double Major In Business Administration and Psychology. Now I am a Real Estate Developer and Investor here in Texas. The next thing you will say is that youe are a native and that illegal immigrants are taking you guiding jobs as well?

Just a comment

Mario

Mario,

The key word is "illegal". With all due respect, I honestly think that trying to convince people to accept ILLEGAL immigration is going to be a tough sell. I know many legal immigrants and I would consider them friends. I also have some friends that may or may not be legal. I never asked them. I do know that if you follow the rules, pay your taxes, and live within the same system as the so called "natives" that you will be accepted and respected by any reasonable, level-headed person.

I don't know what your story really is, and I don't know if you were "legal" or not. Regardless of that, you are clearly contributing to what makes America great and that's to be commended.

My commentary.

-Jay

I take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat on the ride to the stream along with a thermos of coffee. For the day, it's some sort of granola bar or trail mix and water. I fish 4 or 5 hours at a time now (the day's are long gone when my back and legs would allow me to fish a 12 hour day. And I sit and watch a lot as well. When I'm done I usually look for hamburger stand.

I ran across a guy once who was taking his lunch break. I kid you not, he had a camp fire going and skillet and was sauting steak and peppers. I figured he was on an alogether different fishing track from me. :-D

Coughlin Wrote "I ran across a guy once who was taking his lunch break. I kid you not, he had a camp fire going and skillet and was sauting steak and peppers. I figured he was on an alogether different fishing track from me".
Geesh!! And, he DIDN'T offer to "share with you"!?! How utterly; "L.L.Beanish" of the low cur!
So many times, when Pontooning the rivers of Idaho, Montana and even in Oregon, we'll put into a small "beach" to take a break, a look, or to work a pool, before floating through it. And, I cannot count the times that Bishop and I have come across one of the "guided trips", breaking for the "midday repast"......................
"Folding tables, checkered table clothes, wine on ice, (BEER is obviously to "gauche"!!??) portable GAS, BBQs, wine GLASSES- (not low-life wine PLASTICS,), folding nylon chairs.....(with, folding footstools as we saw on one such set up!), and, naturally, the wonderful aroma of sizzling T-bones and Rib Eyes!
We've pretty much been sure, when running across one of these "lunch camps", that somewhere in that mess, there just had to be "baked potatoes" and "tossed, green salads", but we leave right away, since they never invite US to stay and join the fun!
Our "classic camp" that we still love to remember, was on the upper stretches of the Bitterroot one late August........ this camp had all of the above listed, "necessities", of course!! But, as we oared into shore, we about dropped our rods, (and our jaws), when we spotted a "towel wrapped lovely".......emerging wet hair and all, from a portable, solar heated, folding SHOWER the lunch camp had set up!
No, it wasn't a "camp", for staying in......... no tents, no other signs of time spent there for more than lunch. In fact, the two yellow rafts caught up to us, about two hours later and drifted on past us!!
I, suppose, when you pay what some of these people pay..... for a day on the water, you have to expect more than "granola bars and Pepsi!?!

I have gained a nugget! I am going to make PBJ. I can't tell you last time I had one. I guess I am partial to Sheetz. MTO's and snacks. I bet I hit Sheetz 90% of time before or after fishing. Paul

I guess I never grew outta the PBJ. I still eat a few of them a week. They go real well with a black and tan. For fishing, I usually do without the J part though. It makes the bread soggy. Instead, I'll just eat a plain peanut butter sandwich, or I'll bring a banana and put pieces of that on the sandwich before I eat it.

I get what you are saying Jay. But the point(s) that I was trying to make is that, the last time I looked this was not a political or immigration forum. The point Capt Matt’s was trying to put across did not need that comment. And that is a problem when people that are in the service industry making those types of comments when He/They clearly live of just that, providing a service, especially in Florida where there are a lot of immigrants legal or not that may need is services.

Also, I have an issue with people that forget that they are immigrants or a product of, themselves and become so self-riches to the point where the condemn that which they are. That is where my comment of “Native” comes into play.

Let me give you a brief history of me. I am Mexican and Italian. On my fathers side I am Arab mixed with Spanish and then in the new world mixed with Mexican Indian. My mother is 2nd generation Mexican Italian. I was born in Monterrey N.L. Mexico. But I am both a US, Mexican and Italian, Mexican by birth, US citizen by parent (my dad is also a US citizen), I am also an Italian by right of parent on my mother’s side.

Growing up here and there I noticed many things and I have also learned not to be biased and more important not to me a hypocrite with my beliefs, opinions and or views of my self or others. I have seen the “Americentric”, (my word), way of seeing things.

Examples. Song, “I am Proud to be an American”, Presidents use "God bless America!" And people in general use I am an American.
The last time I checked the Geography books there are three continents that are the Americas, North, Central and South America. If I am from any one of those continents I am still an American. But yet US Citizens take ownership of the word, category or definition and make it as yours.

Any way I have gone on and on but the bottom line is, THIS IS A FISHING FORUM and I if I want to discuss politics and or any other subject I will go to forums or places where that goes on. Capt. Matt, nothing against you, and I am not putting words in your mouth. He was not discussing politics. Again, it was just an unnecessary comment and I am plainly making a few points, in reference to the comment itself.

See it or not my way.

Lets just stick to fishing talk! Tight lines!

Mario

My words are not to offend anyone but merely to convey a philosophy of life.
Respect to those who give it and not to those who believe they deserve it.

I agree with some of your sentiments. I don't forget that I'm a descendant of immigrants. I'm very proud of my Italian and German heritage.

You are right though. Let's keep it at fishing.

All I take is Lance's peanut butter and cheese crackers with water and the occassional chewy bar.

If it's going to be a long day away from civilization I will put a couple of hot dogs in my thermos and fill it with boiling water before I leave the house, pack a few rolls, some ketchup (or catsup) packets and a bottle of water in the back of my vest. On the way to the stream I'll enjoy a cup of coffee and a snack then eat the hot dogs around lunchtime (or whenever I get hungry enough). This will keep me going well into the late evening. If it's going to be a short outing then I will just take a pack of crackers to hold me over.

That hotdog idea is a good one. I may use that for salmon river trips this fall.

Yeah, that weiner in a thermos is a good idea. May have to try that one out some day. I use to do the MTO's also, but usually have a PBJ for a snack and chinese later on.
JH

Not important, but the "United States" is more formally known as the "United States of America" and it would be rather cumbersome to say "I'm proud to be an United States of American..." or even "God Bless the United States of America." When people say and hear "American," they understand and mean a citizen of the United States of America, not a citizen of any country that is in either continent of North America or South America. In other words, if you are a citizen of the U. S. of A., then you are properly called an American, and if you are not, but live on one of the two "Americas" then you are perhaps Mexican, Canadian, Panamanian, Venezuelan, Brazilian, etc.

I don't think that when they release those videos of middle eastern warlord condemning "America" they are not targeting Panamanians.
And by middle ease I don't mean Delaware. BTW the president and I believe all presidents actually do say "God Bless the United States of America." at the end of most if not all television addresses. None of this really matters since this is a fly fishing board but I thought I'd chime in too.

Wow, it amazes me how any thread can jump the shark... and how far we will go to do it.

Well, what is more "American" than hot dogs and Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Candy bars-preferably from Hershies-Cooler weather of course.

Hershey is shutting down the Oakdale plant this year along with several others in Canada and the United States, and plans to move their production to a new facility in Monterrey, Mexico.

Yes, Hershey's. Or should I say "si"?

flybinder - I don't camp myownself, except the several times I take a float down the Deschutes. The party usually consists of 4-8 ffishers, and there is always an extra boat to take the camp down to the next site and set up a sit-down dinner (steak, etc.). And last time I went, they had one of those solar showers, which is a good thang to get the desert dust off after a tough 12 hrs of ffishing.

Dunno why they would do this on the Bitterroot - you're never that far from the road and civilization.

tl
les

Back to the original question: I like to bring dried apricots or mangoes - tasty and full of calories and not bulky. But remember, 2 dried apricot halves are the same as eating a whole apricots when you add liquid.

Too many dried (or not dried) fruit have a nice purgatory effect. Don't ask me how I know this.

PS - there's a spot on the San Juan that ought have a big tree amidst the scrub, now that it's been well fertilized.

tl
les

Back