What do you do to keep your feet warm in winter wading?

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned, or used, Hotronic socks or boot warmers. If you’re going to spend $1,000 for your waders and boots to keep you dry, why not spend a couple hundred dollars more to keep your feet warm and comfortable?

I like the idea of the "next size up" boots for winter wading to give a little more wiggle room for two pairs of socks (liner & wool or something similar in insulation properties). I bought my current Orvis Clearwater wading boots in late summer, not really thinking ahead for winter wading. I have to think about getting a second pair of wading boots one size up just for extended cold water wading.

In the interim, I'll move around a bit more, get out of the water and walk a bit (like to the next spot upstream) to get some circulation going, or just quit wading when the water gets too cold for me. This is the first year I've waded into late November. My prior winter fishing was from the bank. Heck, sometimes that is plenty cold enough,

Lots of good ideas floated thus far. Your fingers are toes are the most distal extremities, and thus will get cold the quickest. The most basic solution is to stay out of the water as much as possible. This isn't always practical, but not every second of every trip needs to be spent *in* the water. Get out, move about, and keep the circulation going.

The concept of having air space in your wading boots is a solid one. Air is an insulator, albeit a very poor one. But it does keep your feet from conducting cold temperatures, which is a step in the right direction (no pun intended).

One of the most popular tips I've seen for keeping your feet warm is to toss "Hot hands" or other small warming packs in the tip of your waders. Keeping your toes warm is the most critical step, because they get cold the quickest.

Lastly, what works for one may not work for another. We all have different thresholds for getting cold and thus, different remedies. As mentioned, hypothermia is the real deal and can have lasting consequences. I've found that when my feet get cold, the nimbleness of my wading suffers. Trying to navigate rocks becomes more challenging, and it is then that I know I have to warm up. Regulate your fishing into manageable periods and don't be afraid to take "warming cycles" in the car if need be!

Back