What camera should I ask for X-mas??

• Thread starter Dances_With_Brookies
  • Start date
Dances_With_Brookies

Dances_With_Brookies

I'd like to start taking more and better pictures while out on the stream. If I am alone, I am relegated to using my camera cell phone. Can anyone make any rec's on maybe a lightweight digitial camera-possibly even one that is waterproof if one exists? If you have experience with a particular model, please apprise me of what that is and cost so I can relay that information to St. Nick. Any info. would be greatly appreciated...

I think its Mute that has the WP camera...I think it an Olympus...PM him and ask..

Yea, its me, olympus 720sw. waterproof, shockproof. Decent camera for fishing, $170 on ebay.

I have a 720SW too. I have beat on it for the past year and its stood up well. I can't tell the difference between that and the 790SW, which runs about $100 more, besides the 790 being "freezeproof".

I've heard good thing from several flyfishers about Pentax OptioWPi.
The WP stands for waterproof, which is a good thing. I've never dropped a camera in the creek, but several fishing buddies have.

I use a Nikon Coolpix, but I'm going to upgrade soon to 35 mm. Most of the cameras now have plenty of mega pixels, just make sure you get enough memory for whatever model you choose. I prefer a card reader to loading the pics from the camera, it saves batteries.

I carry a Pentax Optio W20, I think the newer models are W30s. Nice compact camera, lightweight, dust, shock and waterproof.

Generally i carry it on a zinger tucked in the top of my waders. Makes release much easier when you can concentrate on the fish rather than keeping your camera dry. I have taken a few underwater shots with it and it has performed well.

In archery season i dropped it 15' out of my treestand and it still works.

One of the best things is the entertainment value. I like dropping it in the water and watching people's horrid reactions thinking i just ruined an expensive camera :)

How is your on batteries..I have a regular (non waterproof) Optio 50 that is just horrible. I have tried everything including sending it back. Of course they offered to fix it for 140 bucks..I can get a better one for that new...

Battery charge seems to hold pretty well. I dont use it a lot, but it doesnt seem to lose charge just sitting around. I have used it on occasion to take 100+ pictures a day without going dead.

the only time it dies on me is when i leave it plugged into the computer and turned on after downloading photos.

Crotalus wrote:
Battery charge seems to hold pretty well. I dont use it a lot, but it doesnt seem to lose charge just sitting around.

Thats what weitd about mine..I used it for a week in Idaho when I got it and used maybe 2 or 3 sets of batteries that week t take 100 pics. Since then, If I put brand new Duracells or fully charged rechargables and turn it off and set it down, they'll be dead when I turn it back on to use it. sucks

Ahh ok, we are talking apples and oranges then, mine came with a dedicated rechargeable battery, probably lithium ion but not sure

Tom,

I have an Opio 50 with the exact same problem. It discharges while off. If I charge the battery and let it sit for a week or two, the battery will be dead. I charge it just before I plan to use it. I read reviews and found out that it is a common problem with that camera - after I bought it of course!

The pentax Wpi has a tiny 2" lcd screen. The larger lcd screen deplete's Battery life faster. The Wpi-camera is much smaller; weighing less then the others for-mentioned, fits in your shirt pocket

Under water movies and shots turn out great; esecially in crystal clear trout water. The last I checked Pentax still uses Acd Inc software for making custom shows, pictures and clips. They provide the software in the box when purchased new...

pentax optio 10 - 30 series

D with Brookies-

I also have the olympus 720sw. waterproof, shockproof. Pricey but awesome. It is one of the top 3 pieces of equipment I own.

All pictures I have submitted on this site come from that camera. It is small and durable and has a big screen display for its size.

Been great and never have to worry about getting it wet.

D with Brookies-

I also have the olympus 720sw. waterproof, shockproof. Pricey but awesome. It is one of the top 3 pieces of equipment I own.

All pictures I have submitted on this site come from that camera. It is small and durable and has a big screen display for its size.

ps it has battery charger

D with Brookies-

ps it has battery charger

My Pentax W20 goes forever on alkaline batteries. If I had to replace it I'd go with another Pentax. It actually does a decent job on short focus subjects like streamside bugs.

If battery pack or battery life is an issue, you should go with a camera that takes individual batteries and not a pack. Most camera companies are moving away from battey packs and going to a AA format (all but Olympus -- which seems to be the cheapest water proof camer).

If you get a camera that takes AA's. Buy the Lithium batteries in the metalic blue packaging. I have had my camera for 8 months and just changed the batteries last month. During those 1st 7 months, I took over 1200 pics. Not bad for one set of batteries.

Back