What camera should I ask for X-mas??

• Thread starter Dances_With_Brookies
  • Start date
I'll weigh in for the Pentax Optio W20 also (mentioned above). I have had mine on several Carribean Snorkelling trips besides the usual plcaes on a trout stream. I like the wide display on the back and the modes are easy to adjust since I use it for land and underwater pictures. It's small and not annoying hanging around your neck.

I think the total depth rating is 6' and a maximum of 15min submerged although I've pushed the envelope on mine and been out on the reefs for well over 45 min without leakage.

The fact that it is an underwater camera does not take away from above water shots. Its every bit as good as my 7mp dry cameras and you don't have to worry about it getting splashed or rained on if you want scenery pictures on the stream.

I like the rechargeable battery although some posts here favor the use of AAs. I see their point but my experience with digitals is that they eat batteries like crazy. I have used the W20 for an entire week, maybe several hundred shots and have not had to recharge. I usually need to before I leave though so I can scroll through all the pictures on the plane ride home.

The only problem I have with it is that it takes away from my fishing time. I was out in Yellowstone a few months back and I found myself taking lots of time trying to shoot various underwater shots on the Firehole along with in-stream scenery. Well.....maybe that is not a bad thing afterall.

They must be made better than the Pentax I bought which doesn't work at all anymore. My father in law has one too and he used 2 new batteries every 20 pics or so...I'd google whatever camera you might want and read what other people who have purchased and used on are saying...

For rechargable AA batteries try the Duracell 2650 mAp's They are the bomb! They last longer than any others I have tried (3-4 different kinds) They cost al little over $2.00/ea but its worth it.

Back