what are your 3 favorite flies to tie up in the Fall?

StaggerLee

StaggerLee

When tying for the fall months of Sept-Nov. What are your three favorite patterns. Dry, Nymph, Streamer for trout.

Anyone care to share?

Dry.. Patriot fly

Nymph.. Pt. Flash Back

Streamer.. Spruce

Good question.

Dry Fly - black ant or griffith's gnat

Nymph - scud or cress bug (I fish mostly limer's)

Streamer - Olive Woolly Buggeer

Olive,brown,black flashabous.
wooly worm.
what's a dry fly?

Olive scud (though I really start fishing that late fall/earl winter on the local limestoner)

Elk Hair Caddis (tan mostly, but I make some big October Caddis too just for fun!)

Olive and Black Wooley Bugger

U.v. diamond scuds
Golden Oldie
Rs-2

JohnnyUtah wrote:
U.v. diamond scuds
Golden Oldie
Rs-2

Nice original patterns. But that Golden Oldie is a mystery fly. So can you give me a new one that all us members can tie up. LOL

Just kidding with you. Love your flies and videos JU.

Maybe others will show off their original fall fly patterns?

Myself, I'm not that all creative. So don't hold your breath for mine!!!

Cream egg
salmon egg
blue egg

umm.... it's steelhead season.

Pink egg, framus, sucker spawn +1 it's steelhead season.

Thanks staggerLee, I also twist up some eggs, floating nymphs and some elk and snowshoe caddis. I will be doing a video of the elk and snow shoe caddis.

Id fish for steelhead if i lived out west were they are wild are true steelhead. But here on the east coast the lake run rainbows can be a lot fun, if you like casting over other people.......

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Thanks staggerLee, I also twist up some eggs, floating nymphs and some elk and snowshoe caddis. I will be doing a video of the elk and snow shoe caddis.

Id fish for steelhead if i lived out west were they are wild are true steelhead. But here on the east coast the lake run rainbows can be a lot fun, if you like casting over other people.......

Johnny..Sounds good, I'll be looking for your vids.

Hey, could you film me a quick hand whip in HD in your next video if it wouldn't be such a trouble for you explaining how it's done?

Casting over people? Your fishing the wrong trib /creek guy. LOL
Do some searching and walking and you can find some really nice water that most wouldn't even set out and go and fish. Since most guys/girls just want quick 5min. walk in access for the steel.

I walk plenty far when i fly... but i wont walk for synthetic fish.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
I walk plenty far when i fly... but i wont walk for synthetic fish.

I'm confused? What exactly are "synthetic fish"? And no i haven't read the book. So aren't all trout synthetic your fishing for? Unless you only fish for native trout. And who does just that type of fly fishing only?

Synthetic is a man made trout. You should read the book, its a good read. There are many anglers, myself included that will only fish for wild/native trout. I say wild because browns and rainbows aren't native to the eastern united states as im sure you know. It's just what i like, it floats my line.

I will attempt a video on the hand whip for you. I think if i use white thread, and color it with a marker, so its sectioned you could better understand.

I hand whip all the time, I used to use a tool, I like you wanted to know how to do it by hand, I learned and hid my tool so i forced myself to master it. Now i dont even know where the tool is lol. And i actually prefer the hand whip. Your hands are the greatest tools you will ever have.

Call me dumb, stupid, crazy. But aren't wild trout just descendants of "Synthetic trout"? So why don't you ever chase after them? They are all in the same? Nothing is different about them. Just only where they are born. So that makes catching wild trout easier because they grew up eating natural things. And not just midges & pellets like stocked fish.

I disagree with you Stagger, I believe your backwards. Stocked trout are the easier. Also stocked trout act nothing like wild trout, other than they swim. But your correct in saying that browns and bows and some brook trout are decedents from a synthetic trout. But catching stream bred trout(wild) is just more appealing to me. Plus they fight better. Imo

I can kind of understand where your coming from. But have you ever noticed one can catch 20 wild trout easy in a given day on most wild streams. Like Brook Trout for an example. And when one fishes for stocked trout they catch only a few. Why's that?

MHO. wild fish eat naturals, feed them what they are eating and bang! Fish on every time. Just don't spook them and you will have a good day.

Now. Stocked fish, they get all EMO from day to day and you never know what the heck they want to put into their mouths. But just because most times you can walk right up on them, and they don't spook, That don't make them stupid fish. Or does it? LOL

You give stocked trout way to much credit. lol Its just not fishing when you can walk right up to them and poke them with your rod. imo. With stockies certain times of day are most productive. Also figure out whether they want action or no action.

I think you dont catch that many most likely because there just not there in the numbers that wilds are on a wild stream. Plus wild brook trout are extremely aggressive making them rather easy to catch. imo

If you have a 20 fish day on a wild stream, im sure the majority of your catch is dinks. I prefer to fish areas that i know or suspect larger fish to be in. Nothing like battling a 20" plus wild brown. imo

I will say stockies that see a lot of flies and have been caught many of times do get selective. But these fish put up zero fight when hooked, nothing like catching a 20" fish that comes right to hand.... You can have those fish..lol

Your crazy man. Take a look at other forums and see guys repoting catches of 20 wild trout a day or more. They catch one every minute they claim. That makes and proves wild trout are easier when you read reports from this guy. So many fish in one day. How many stocked trout do people catch a day? Not 20 or more I would think. Show some love for the state stocked trout in pa.

Johnny i like ya. But i think your giving wild trout toooo much props pal. They dont fight better then a stocked trout at all. Since most wilds are only a thrid of the size of a stocked trout.

This debate is like
boo vrs graphite rods
Dry vrs nymphs

No one is ever right.. lol

Are you serious Stagger?? I'm thinking you need to spend more time fly fishing and less trolling.

Back