Popsicle. Daiichi 1/0 #2441

Carter-Harrison-1080.jpg

Carter Harrison

Hook - Wet fly
Thread - Black
Tip - Gold Tinsel
Tail - Scarlet
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Black seals fur (or rabbit dubbing)
Hackle - Brown
Wing - Brown mallard

Trout - Ray Bergman

That is awesome!!!!!

Details on materials please!!
It’s tied on a Tiemco size #8 200r hook, with an orange SLF prism fiber body tied in a dubbing loop and with copper wire ribbing. The wing is orange crinkled Z-Lon. There are a half dozen pheasant tail fibers tied on the underside, and dyed brown Hungarian partridge hackle.

I think the next version I tie will be on a smaller hook and have a more sparsely dubbed body so that the copper ribbing is more visible and I may use brown rather than orange Z-Lon for the wing. I had intended that the pheasant tail fibers represent legs and/or its antennae, but they got lost in the Hungarian partridge, so I may tie several fibers on both the top and bottom, and use a smaller size, and more sparsely tied, Hungarian partridge hackle.

Cheney-1080.jpg

Cheney

Hook - Wet fly
Thread - White under floss body; Black head
Ribbing - Scarlet or red silk (floss)
Body - Yellow floss
Hackle - Yellow
Wing - Slate

Trout - Ray Bergman

Inspired by the Popsicle from @Mashbill
View attachment 1641237803

Don't know that I'll see any steelhead this year, but I plan to put this in front of some landlocks that like bright flies like Golden Retrievers and red Buggers.
So happy to see this! Since retiring in 2020 -- i have inspired few ... and my dear Wife of 40 years largely remains " uninspired " by most of my kooky antics!! thats a beautiful tie -- looks like a real fish catcher to me. i needed a steelhead fly that i could fish in stained water --- thru Conneaut Creeks long runs of shale pools. the popsicle fly seemed to fit that bill. i am looking forward to using it this fall --- reports im getting are that steelhead are already moving up some of the Ohio creeks. cooler nights and rain!

Bravo HOM -- BRAVO!

Chip's Northern Magic
View attachment 1641237807

I certainly understand why a pike would eat this fly if it was in front of their face. I'm less certain how this fly would get there without fouling every cast. Guess we'll see...
A little Liquid Fusion or Softex applied to the first 15ish% of the tail should stiffen it up, remain pliable, and prevent fouling. It's a Dave Skok idea that's been used on his Mushmouth series of flies with great success. I incorporate it into a variety of patterns with limp synthetic tails to prevent fouling and it works well.

A little Liquid Fusion or Softex applied to the first 15ish% of the tail should stiffen it up, remain pliable, and prevent fouling. It's a Dave Skok idea that's been used on his Mushmouth series of flies with great success. I incorporate it into a variety of patterns with limp synthetic tails to prevent fouling and it works well.
Thanks! I'm not familiar with either product. I'll look into them!

I just watched video of Rosenbauer using this technique on a Mushmouth, and it looks like it could alleviate problems with a couple patterns I use regularly. Much appreciated!
Of course. I'd say watch the Trident video on the Mushmouth too...I've seen them both, and while Rosenbauer is solid, his way of tying isn't correct and he also doesn't use the proper material for the fly. Best of luck.

Back