What Are You Tying Today?

Yes, that's why it's called Shenks white minnow. ;) Also why asked about the rabbit because I was hoping he had something easier to work with. Haven't tied one in decades but remember the rabbit being a little difficult to spin as software it was. Dubbing loop is a good idea.
I tie this pattern with sculpin wool. Much easier to manage in a dubbing loop.

Baby browns

All the caddis patterns offered up on the favorite caddis pattern thread really jogged my memory. Here’s a pattern that I learned at a fly tying course that I took at Trout Run Sports in Ephrata about 30 years ago. I caught a lot of fish in the Tully on this pattern way back in the day. May be time to give it another shot.

IMG 9441
IMG 9444

All the caddis patterns offered up on the favorite caddis pattern thread really jogged my memory. Here’s a pattern that I learned at a fly tying course that I took at Trout Run Sports in Ephrata about 30 years ago. I caught a lot of fish in the Tully on this pattern way back in the day. May be time to give it another shot.

View attachment 1641233729View attachment 1641233730
What's the body material of that? It looks like micro chenille or something?

What's the body material of that? It looks like micro chenille or something?
Correct, it is micro chenille. I lightly singe the end of it with a lighter to get the taper and darken the top of the chenille body with a marker.

Nice looking flies.

Here’s a video on how to tie a slightly different version of those Palomino Caddis, all of which use microchenille, of various colors and widths.

At the end of the video you can also see a subtle use of a rotary vise in applying head cement to the underside of the finished fly, that relates to another ongoing thread here: https://www.paflyfish.com/threads/rotary-vise.83570/#post-955983n

Correct, it is micro chenille. I lightly singe the end of it with a lighter to get the taper and darken the top of the chenille body with a marker.
Thanks, that is EXACTLY what I thought I saw going on there. I always singe the ends of my San Juan worms, so I thought that it looked familiar.

How many fly boxes do you have dc410?
You tie so many great patterns!
Thanks. I do have a lot of fly boxes (too many actually) and organization of my flies has always been a bit of an issue for me. I’m starting to really minimize what I actually carry with me while I’m fishing. I am not a production tyer. I generally tie one or two of a pattern or some variations of a pattern and I’m on to the next one. Therefore, my tying area usually is a complete disaster area with materials. To be very honest, I just really enjoy tying flies and sharing some great patterns that I have learned and fished over many decades here with the folks on PAFF.

DC,I remember the old Trout Run Days! I spent a lot of money in my time there. I can't remember if I actually tied there or not. Ken, the Colonial Angler, certainly bent my ear there a few times. My initial experience with a fly shop was Bob's Sportsman's Den near the Lincoln House and then it moved to the Cloister Shopping Center. I still remember conversations there and just trying to soak in technical knowledge and experiences on far-away waters. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

DC,I remember the old Trout Run Days! I spent a lot of money in my time there. I can't remember if I actually tied there or not. Ken, the Colonial Angler, certainly bent my ear there a few times. My initial experience with a fly shop was Bob's Sportsman's Den near the Lincoln House and then it moved to the Cloister Shopping Center. I still remember conversations there and just trying to soak in technical knowledge and experiences on far-away waters. Thanks for bringing back some memories.
Yep, it’s good to dig up some of those old memories. I too spent a lot of time chatting with Kenny at the counter in the back of Trout Run Sports. My first experience with a fly shop was the Angler Shop which was on Lincoln Highway near Bridgeport. That’s the shop where I bought my first vise and tying tools when I was in high school.

Question…. How do you guys get full photos posted and mine come up as thumbnails?

Question…. How do you guys get full photos posted and mine come up as thumbnails?

Here is how I do it. There may be other ways, but this works very easily.

IMG 3649

Step 1 is click the Picture icon that appears at the top page where you post a reply.
Step 2 is click the Drop Image box.
Step 3 is click the Photo Library.

After clicking Photo Library, I get the file of the pictures that I’ve stored on my computer. I simply select the photo that I want, and click ”done”, and that’s it.

Back