What Are You Tying Today?

Last night leavings from Happy Hour.. for Steelhead.
IMG 20230715 091111773

I already see a sprung hook in that pack. Yikes! Also... what's the hashtag crap about? Silly.
Actually pretty nice hooks. The price was nice too. Looks like there is one which is improperly formed, they might want to do better quality control.
Can't comment on the hash tags, i don't really get them, but then i am from a earlier era.

Life-on-Mars-1080.jpg

Life on Mars

Hook- Size 8 double salmon
Thread- Fire orange
Tag and Rib- Silver wire or oval tinsel
Rear body- Silver holographic tinsel
Mid hackle - Orange hen
Wing at mid-point- Orange bucktail & silver/pearl krystal flash
Front body- Claret dubbing, wool or floss
Front hackle- Claret hen
Finish with Jungle Cock (always optional)

Tying & Fishing Bucktails & Other Hair Wings - Mike Valla

They work wonders on panfish! I also caught some nice sized Largemouth night fishing with them. View attachment 1641231576

Oh! I believe that!

My question was not in reference to foam patterns but rather the color. I love lots of foam for both bass and trout. Fat Alberts are a top tier fly for me. Love that little hopper you've got, too!

My skepticism is more about, foam or not, pink/purple colors. I know some people love a purple haze/Adams and purple chubbies, but I'm less certain I'm ever going to throw such flies on, let's say, the Battenkill to picky fish. Just my bias to think of this flashy stuff as Rocky Mountain patterns. Would love to be proven wrong!

View attachment 1641231575

Does this silly stuff work in any meaningful way on the east coast? Will make a good bobber at least.
I've never once caught a fish on a chubby out East. Nor have I ever heard of anyone else doing so. I think they're used as indicators more so than anything else... kind of true for out West too although, you do get fish eating them from time to time.

I've never once caught a fish on a chubby out East. Nor have I ever heard of anyone else doing so. I think they're used as indicators more so than anything else... kind of true for out West too although, you do get fish eating them from time to time.

I've caught brook trout on a chubby just last week, but it was not a purple/pink one. Brookies maybe don't count? I will say, though, I was alternating between chubbies and a stimulator, and even those indiscriminate fish preferred the stimmy.

I've caught brook trout on a chubby just last week, but it was not a purple/pink one. Brookies maybe don't count? I will say, though, I was alternating between chubbies and a stimulator, and even those indiscriminate fish preferred the stimmy.
I'd count that! I'm not into brookie fishing much these days.

PXL 20230723 013943260

18s. A couple really ugly ones, and then I think I kinda got it. No chance of going down to the sizes I know some folks tie them at.

I don't even have any use for these in the near future. Not sure why I got in the mood to torture myself with little stuff tonight.

Back