What Are You Tying Today?

Laser Changer
F1CF60DF 2D54 4926 84BE 4B27263E0CBD

PXL 20230504 014549491

PXL 20230504 014720374

Oddball flash minnow pattern with moves stolen from Bob Pop. I've seen Cheech do something similar with ice dub, but I assume he was also just stealing from Pop.

Stumbled into tying these last year while playing with bucktail, and I seemed to have a lot of luck with them in terms of strikes - but no fish landed. Short strike delight.

Trying them on a bigger hook since all of the previous version are now on the bottom of rivers.

Green-Winged-Squirrel-1080.jpg

Green-Winged Squirrel

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Single salmon
Tip - Fine gold wire
Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather
Butt - Fluorescent orange floss
Body - Peacock herl. Reverse wrapped with fine gold wire
Hackle - Orange tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - Dyed green gray squirrel tail tied low over the body
Topping - Strands of green Flashabou Accent

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

View attachment 1641230257
View attachment 1641230258

Oddball flash minnow pattern with moves stolen from Bob Pop. I've seen Cheech do something similar with ice dub, but I assume he was also just stealing from Pop.

Stumbled into tying these last year while playing with bucktail, and I seemed to have a lot of luck with them in terms of strikes - but no fish landed. Short strike delight.

Trying them on a bigger hook since all of the previous version are now on the bottom of rivers.

PXL 20230505 100738509

Second iteration of the fly continues to be fishy. Not necessarily the species I was gunning for, but no complaint.

What’s your favorite feather to “hackle” with?
I'm not a soft hackle expert. I attended a presentation about 15 years ago. I wish I remembered half of what was discussed. They were really big on gray dun hen feathers, Partridge would probably be just as good. I use both. As far as actual colors I don't remember what the actual color names of silk were. They are not labeled on the spools and I've had them for a very long time. I will say that although people seem to love the partridge and orange it's never been my best color. The olive and yellow always seem to outfish them.

Copper-March-Brown-1080.jpg

Copper March Brown

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Flat silver tinsel
Tail - Partridge hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Flat copper tinsel
Throat - Partridge hackle fibers
Wing - Strips of hen pheasant tail, mottled turkey or similar

A version of the old Wooly Worm pattern that I came up with this afternoon. A little contrast, some peacock herl, grizzly hackle and a hot orange head tied on a size 14 Mustad 3906B. I tied this one basically as a change up to throw into my 3 fly wet fly rig … but I just think it may hunt pretty well. Gonna give it a try out next week!

IMG 8657

Hippy Stomper. I spent the week fishing the Shenandoah valley and absolutely wrecked the brookies on this pattern.
34B854EF 4913 4671 B227 BFBAA1F16966

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 16
  • A336F355-621D-43D0-8F7F-4D1399640CE3.jpeg
    A336F355-621D-43D0-8F7F-4D1399640CE3.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 13
Green-Foam-Hopper-Top-1080-down.jpg

Green Foam Hopper

Hook – Mustad R73
Thread – Yellow