>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Size 2 Dolly Llama for Pacific Salmon.

ADBB8E0C 518A 455B AF1B 8C8107CCAB12

Lacey's Caddis - First tied by Jeff "Bear" Andrews from Grand Ledge, MI in the 1990's. This pattern is a representation of the late season October caddis hatches. This fly is named after Lacey, a Springer Spaniel and unofficial shop mascot at The Great Lakes Flyfishing Company in Rockfort, MI.
91224729_LaceysCaddis.thumb.jpg.f4c3a36939a97004086913a3cf896176.jpg
Hook - TMC 100, 8-18
Thread - brown
Body - light orange floss for the back 2/3rds of the shank and peacock wrapped on the front 1/3rd
Hackle - brown hackle palmered as a rib
Wing - elk hair, tied caddis-style
Head - butts of elk, cut caddis-style

Laid Back Hex - First tied by Rusty Gates in the 1990's. It can be fished when the fish just will not rise and can also be used in very rough flowing water.
1581511465_LaidBackHex.thumb.jpg.10ed57cb2d5c17ba6f595055ab2800bc.jpg
Hook - Daiichi 1280, 6
Thread - yellow
Tail - moose hair fibers overlaid with olive Z-lon (poly used above)
Rib - grizzly hackle, palmered on body
Body - deer hair, tied parallel to the shank, flared at the tail and crisscrossed with tying thread
Wing - deer hair flared down the body and butt ends used for head (head is around the shank, NOT caddis-style
Hackle - brown and grizzly, mixed and the bottom trimmed

The Pusher looks like a Wilson wing turned 90-degrees! Nice tie.

Kim
Thanks night fishing flies are my favorite to tie. I think Im gonna try to make atlantic salmon bomber style night flies next and give em a try on my local water this week.

Light Michigan Mayfly - The tyers name has been lost to history. The pattern pre-dates 1950 and one variation called for light grey dubbing. This pattern imitates the female hexagenia mayfly. Use any standard dry fly hook and this pattern is effective tied in sizes 6-12.
266087899_LightMichiganMayfly.thumb.jpg.f34279957a38c6e0aaaf3f664e8d41c2.jpg
Hook - Dry fly, 6
Thread - black
Tail - brown bucktail fibers
Wing - brown bucktail fibers, tied upright and divided
Rib - dark brown cotton thread
Body - red fox dubbing
Hackle - medium bluish grey dun

Madsen - Earl Madsen designed this fly pattern sometime between 1930 to 1945 and named by fellow tyer Paul Young. It was designed for "picky" fish and is best fished early mornings during the hot, mid-summer months. There is a variation of this fly that is actually more popular than this original that that uses grey wool or floss for the body and grizzly wing and hackle.
Madsen.thumb.jpg.0a3435df2e5e84944ec2e5524bdbbe78.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94833, 10-14
Thread - black
Tail - wood duck flank fibers
Rib - brown hackle, palmered
Body - Emerald green yarn, tied full
Wing - a single grey hackle tip, tied as a sail
Hackle - grey

E6D26143 1A57 41F2 97DF A166E090DB15
4B3EFD05 CE09 45D4 8577 32370CDD9900
78695231 A04E 4773 8AA8 4225DE6C554B

My pusher wings made from feathers always eventually get gnarly and don’t sit right. Trying a stiff glow in dark synthetic flashabou on for pusher wings. They have ALOT of stiffness/spring to them they are about even with the feathers i isually tie in for wings in that regard. I put an atlantic salmon bomber body behind it to push water.

McClain's Drake - This pattern was first tied in the mid- to late 1940's by lifelong Jerry McClain, a lifelong resident and river guide from Grayling, MI. Jerry came across the main material for this fly by accident. He left a WW II sweater on the line a little too long and the sun-bleached yarn was used in the tying of this pattern. Considering that Chadwick's yarn used in Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug is so rare to find - try finding the yarn from one sweater! Lion's Brand Wool Ease Chunky yarn, Walnut #127 was a good substitute and, of course, this yarn has been discontinued! This pattern can be tied in any size and is good anytime there are dark colored flies on the water.
2030180339_McClainsDrake.thumb.jpg.cd41d02756797325d2d0b058a3d19644.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94831, 8-10
Thread - black
Tail - small clump of PT fibers
Body - yarn from a sun-bleached WW II sweater, tied with a loop tied just beyond the bend of the hook - this is NOT intended to be an egg sack
Post - hackle tips, any color (popular colors include green, orange, and purple) -- I used poly above
Hackle - brown and grizzly, mixed and tied parachute

Mers' No Hackle Hex - Crated by Ken Mers of Coldwater, MI in the mid 1950's. NOTE: The tag in the picture is misspelled and the front wings are a bit more splayed from storage, they should be spent deer hair NOT like a daddy long legs.
761439876_MersNo-HackleHex.thumb.jpg.422820872a9d4fa2e9b968bb3e28af73.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94840, 6
Thread - tan
Tail - extended body hair
Body - deer or elk hair, tied parallel to the shank and extended and with a 4-5 crisscross rib of tying thread
Wings - black tailed deer, tied spent and trimmed to length

Reid's Irresistible Hopper - Created by Don Reid from Michigan and has also been called the Popcorn Fly and was developed in the late 1980's to early '90's. It is a simple tie and floats well. You can add a red or yellow wool yarn tail as well. It may also be tied on a size 10-12 hook.
979210129_ReidsIrresistibleHopper.thumb.jpg.889937b265f65616da478a6d459e7ac9.jpg
Hook - 2 XL dry fly hook, 6-8
Thread - tan
Tail - grizzly hackle fibers, tied short
Body - yellow deer hair, spun and trimmed to a cigar shape
Wing - dark deer hair, tied well beyond the curve of the hook and the front half tyed in with crisscross tying thread
Hackle - grizzly and ginger, mixed

Roti's Brown Drake Attractor - This pattern was developed in 1982 by Bruno Roti of Baldwin, MI. A fore and aft type pattern is actually rare for a Michigan (the Michigan Stone is another). Other fore and aft patterns - The Renegade by Taylor Williams of WY, the Arizona Peacock Lady, the Buzz Hackle by Myrtle Powell of CA, Henry's Lake Renegade in ID, and so on are all western states fore and aft designs.
2014170016_RotisBrownDrakeAttractor.thumb.jpg.cfdc52d95cc60d98cfc9d4633d2d1baf.jpg
Hook - Mustad 9671, 10-12
Thread - brown
Tail - 2-3 iridescent wild turkey breast feather fibers
Body - light cahill or straw colored dubbing
Fore and Aft Hackle - badger for both

Norm and I have met on other sites all the way back to FAOL and I've been lucky enough to have in some of the swaps I've hosted. The only thing I can't figure out is how he photoshopped the flies he sent in for those swaps! He is an excellent tyer of the highest caliber.

I just tie to have fun and maybe try to do some new things. I love mentoring newer tyers and youth tyers. That's where my strength is. As they say - Those who can, DO and those who can't, TEACH!" With that in mind I must be a wonderful teacher! ;)

Kim
Is that really a saying, or just something u say? How can you teach something you can't do yourself

Is that really a saying, or just something u say? How can you teach something you can't do yourself
Don't you mean that I can't do it PERFECTLY myself?

Besides ALL of the flies I tie will catch fish, under the proper circumstances. Of course, those circumstances are an excellent fisher on one end of the line and a fish that needs glasses on the other! :rolleyes:

Kim

Last edited:
Ever seen a professional football coaching staff? It's a very common saying. One with knowledge can be of huge benefit to one with talent. That's not a saying . That's a fact.

There is a long list of top notch NFL coaches that never played a down, let alone excel.

Ther is also a long list of excellent players that suck as coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back